Myoclonic jerks ????

Options
weemillie03
weemillie03 Member Posts: 16
edited 10. Dec 2012, 04:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone sorry i haven't been on for such a long time , i have had so much to deal with . The things they forget to tell you all those years ago when you are diagnosed .

Anyway im interested if anyone ever has or had any of the following Trigeminal Neuralgia ( due to S.S ) or myoclonic jerks due to apparently through a number of causes Anemia being one . I have so many problems in the last year its so much to mention .
But short summery Thyroid lump removed, polyp removed with the gallbladder Cardiac problems ,but like i said to much to go with.

But i would appreciate it if anyone out there that have or had any Neuro problems i would be grateful on you take on it all as its driving me mad .My whole body jerks while im awake or asleep,my legs jump arms fly in the air ,this is a problem when trying to sleep as after taking 6 tablets for night time this still manages to wake me & my husband up . :| Hope to speak to someone soon before i go out my tiny mind :x

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,514
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Millie

you are NOt alone in this there have been others who have complained of it before so hopefully someone will be along soon.

It will be neurological for sure - my youngest has epilepsy and she has eyelid myoclonia.

You ahve been thorugh the mill haven't you? I am so sorry! My Sis is on the waiting list to have her gallbladder out bless her she is sufferring so much so you would have had my heartfelt sympathy for that:(

Hope you made a good recovery though? and the cardiac issues are under control?

Love

Toni xxx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I suffer from myoclonic jerks, I have found gabapentin to help. You seem to be describing restless leg syndrome during the night possibly. Your gp can help with this, or refer you to a neuro.

My myoclonic jerks I think are caused by nerve impingement in neck and back. However I also have muscle weakness due to SLE.

I hope you get sorted soon. They say trigeminal neuralgia is one of the worst pains you can have. I have had a couple of gall bladder infections and they had me doubled over.

I wish you well.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I find that since I have involuntary jerking in my foot and leg either one or the other at night and it used to be in the day sometimes when sitting. The latter has ceased. i know this is to do with my spine. So far I have resisted the offer of medication at night time but may have to as it wakes me and if I do not fall asleep before it starts then this stops me sleeping until it decides to go away and seems to be occurring more frequently. I too thought of RLS, like Suzy which I do suffer from but thankfully only periodically and have not ever had to get meds for it. RLS is horrenduous and many gps and even neuros can prescribe the wrong meds. Nothing works for too long either if you suffer really badly with it.

I am so sorry to hear of what you have been and are going through, not being able to sleep is horrid, you have my sincere sympathies.

On that note I am going to go to bed and am hoping for a peaceful night.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I have little muscle twitches that I found out are called fasiculations. They are obviously nowhere near as troublesome as what you describe, espescially since I have learnt to catch the calf twitch before it turns into full blown cramp! As Suzy says I have also found gabapentin a bit useful for these. Still there but not as severe.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I have jerky periods, didn't know they had a name, they happen all over my body, legs, arms, body and head! They are very annoying but can't control them. I will have to ask my G.P if they are Myoclonic Jerks. Good to know others have them as I thought I was going crazy!!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Myclonic jerks....the only thing I can relate them to is epilepsy but I'm sure there are more causes
    Hope someone will be along soon
    Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    Myclonic jerks....the only thing I can relate them to is epilepsy but I'm sure there are more causes
    Hope someone will be along soon
    Love
    Hileena

I suffer with sezuires and when I 1st started with these jerks my poor OH used to jump out his seat ready to go into action as if I was starting to sezuire. His poor blood pressure would go through the roof! But now he is used to the jerks as my sezuires are under control and have only had 4 this year!! :)