One for the ladies Mammograms

Options
gilly1957
gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
edited 15. Dec 2012, 14:06 in Community Chit-chat archive
I went for my regular mammogram yesterday.

When i was about to go and dress the lady said just let me check the x-rays,
then said I could go get dressed. As I was going to get changed she said the results will be within two weeks but because its coming up to Christmas, it might be a bit longer.

Then she said, if you get called back not to panic, I have convinced myself there is something wrong and got no sleep last night......I don't remember having this said to me on other appointments,( this is my 3rd regular mammogram) have any of you had this said to you??

I'm now dreading the results coming :?

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    yes they say it when they not quite sure it clear enough did on my last one and it was clear so do not worry i know easy for me to say val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Gilly, Val is right if the x ray isn't to clear then they check it, they can also ask for you to attend hospital if they are not certain from the Xrays, its good to know that thing are being double check after all the mistakes that have been made.
    I know its not easy but try not to worry xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    They don't think about the impact of their words, do they? I am sure there is nothing to worry about, I suspect she was trying to reassure you but made a fist of it. Please try to talk yourself out of fretting because it won't do you any good. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    dont panic,its one of the stock answers they give you ,some of them dont realise the effect there words can have,been there and done that.Mig
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    Gilly don't worry as others have said this is a stock comment when x ray may not be clear enoughn and you usually have to wait up to 2 weeks for results now that's quite normal.
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Gilly easy to say try not to worry pet, I have had it said to me at mammograms and smears, sometimes people don't realise the impact to an individual with the way they retort to the person....................tc............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    They have said this to me at the 3 mammograms I have had. I assumed they said it to everyone but I do think they should explain it so women don't worry.
    Christine
  • Christimay
    Christimay Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi golly I went through this about 2months ago with my mum she has had several ones before this last one the nurse said the same to her before she left. She was recalled just to look at it more closely and she was thoroughly examined by the dr, I was like you scared and it doesn't matter how many people say don't worry because ofcourse you will my mum was clear but the nurse said this is very common but let's face it better to be safe then sorry. Sorry golly meant to be golly. Xx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    They usually say this to me at the end of an appointment whether it be a mammogram or a smear and I've never had a problem ...............yet.

I think you'll be fine Gilly, it's just something they say.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • gilly1957
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments, they have all helped.

Just trying to put it out of my head till I get results letter, and hope its normal and I am worrying over nothing x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I'm sure you are Gilly. :)

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi

Sorry to hear how worried you've been. The radiographer has to say something along those lines as the Radiologist, who reports on the mammos, may want to have further views or not be satisfied with the quality of the images. I used to work in a Radiology Dept until fairly recently and understand how you feel.

Shula
  • gilly1957
    Options
    Thank you Shula and Linda and everyone else who sent me messages, thank you all so much for your support.

I got my result letter today, was absolutely convinced something was wrong to get results so quickly, I only had mammogram on Tuesday.

After 2 hours of panicking and looking at the envelope I finally got the courage up to open the letter.......

Results were normal......what a relief, once again thank you .

xx
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi

Very pleased to hear that.

Sleep well!

Shula
  • lindalegs
    Options
    What lovely news Gilly ...............with the added bonus you won't be worrying over Christmas now. :D

Have a good one.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    That's good. You can relax now and get some rest.
    Christine