new medications

Options
amet1
amet1 Member Posts: 45
edited 18. Dec 2012, 03:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
not been on line as really sore hip has now joined in the party so have had pelvic x rays and yet more blood tests that test for hla???? been started on celebrax instead of ibuprofen and gabapentin instead of amyltriptyline. gp is keen to put me onto a slow release morphine she said it would be safer than the tramadol but i am reluctant, seems such a big step physio not much help at moment as pain level wont let up and the pain is rapidly moving into the larger joints with this last flare thats 4 this year and its taking me longer each time to recover i just get so tired and weepy from it all,doesnt help that all the results indicate osteo arthritis and yet im having episodes of illness where i get worse and the rheumy doesnt think all the symptoms fit with fibro either so still more questions than answers :cry:

Comments

• deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm in a similar position to you...diagnosed with fibro, osteo arthritis but gp also suspects something else because of other symptoms that keep adding to the mix. I can't take anti-inflamatories even with a stomach protector, the side effects for me are horrendous but for the short time I have taken them my aches and pains did improve slightly so they are thinking inflamatory arthritis of some sort. It is very frustrating but they do have to get it right to medicate properly, it just seems to drag on for so long while they are investigating these things doesn't it.

Hope you are at least feeling a little better, we will get there in the end.

Dee x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having such pain.
    Would you not try the morphine.
    I had a fractured pelvis and SI joint {I'm sure some remember...I moaned enough :lol: } I was put on slow release morphine then. It was a blessing. She monitored me really closely.
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I'm sorry things are so difficult for you right now. Unfortunately, you're not the first who is hard to diagnose and, no doubt won't be the last. If you are in so much pain that you can't do the physio it might be better to take the morphine so that you can. I know it doesn't seem like it when you're flaring but the physio does help as long as you do it carefully, as instructed.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Hi amet, I have been on and off the mst for years. It really helps and is not as scary as you think it is. It is actually an extremely safe pain medication and one of the best from the point of view of organ safety.
    I know people who have taken it for over 40 years. It does sometimes take a while to get the dose right and the 12 hour slow release is excellent if you don't wish to go down the transdermal patch route. It is a comfortable med and definitely better for you long term than something like Tramadol.
    I am not addicted in any way and prefer it to some of the mind altering meds out there. Sometimes I take it for a few weeks and things settle down and then I don't take it for a few months. I have some available for when I need it, it is my choice when I take it.
    I also have other meds available and dose myself to how I feel. In this way I am actually taking far less that I would if just taking the same dose of something all the time.
    Please consider giving it a go. You will then find if it suits you or not. There are people that it does absolutely nothing for, due to their genetic make up apparently. At least you will know if it suits you or not.
    To have some relief from such mind numbing and relentless pain is necessary sometimes.
    Good luck and hope you find some relief soon.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi amet1
    I am sorry you are suffering like this, I have just started the slow release patches, on top of the gabapentin and the amys slow but sure they seem to be taking the edge off the pain.
    I do hope you get some help very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara