Did you watch Weight Watch Ward?

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 14. Dec 2012, 10:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
I watched Weight Watch Ward last night with mounting anger. I kept thinking to myself it's their fault they are overweight by stuffing themselves with all the wrong food and consequently having all the health problems obesity brings, plus worn out joints. And then there is me, and very probably you too, who have struggled with weight problems because we've got different types of arthritis and just cannot exercise as much as we should but we do what we can when we can. And we all very likely eat a healthy diet because we know the consequences if we don't. So there they are having treatment and operations on the NHS costing approximately £8000 a time, when we have to wait months for treatment to help alleviate our pain. I can only talk for myself here, but my OA was not caused by being overweight as it slowly crept in when I was in my mid 30's weighing a mere 8.1/2 stone and I get so very cross when I read articles or listen to so called experts who say joint replacements are only needed because people are overweight.

Rant over.

Will be interested to hear your comments.

Janet xx

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Janet
    yes i saw that programme. we struggle to walk and do are daily tasks with all kind of pains and they get so over weight and have ops.
    i'm 71 i'm not 10 stone.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    What I always think when I watch those programmes is that they are mostly so fat they can't even get out of bed so why don't their "carers" (word used very loosely) just not feed them all that rubbish. Give them the pulverised mush that they will end up on if they have their stomach stapled or whatever, close the door, and ignore the shouts for crisps/chips/cake etc. Or give them an apple? It would be much cheaper and without all the risks of surgery.

It makes me really cross too.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    There has to be more at issue here than just stuffing oneself with the wrong foods, I do wonder if there is a mental health aspect to this and that is a whole different ball game.

My Local Authority had the dubious honour of caring for one of the fattest men in East Anglia, he cost the council around £30, 000 per annum in supplying carers, who, it was discovered, went out to his local MaccyDs three for four times per day buying him ten burgers etc or so at a time . He was then given one of those gastric ops and has 'slimmed' from 45 or so stone to 25 or so, and can be seen on his Council/benefits provided reinforced bariatric electric chair trundling back and forth from - yup, you guessed it - MaccyD's. Rehouse him in't middle of countryside I say, where he can go without.

I think that too many people are now 'treated' on the NHS for things which are not genuine illnesses. And as for that programme, no, I didn't see it as it's not my kind of telly - my BP can't take it! :) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Janet

I watched it and the woman who binge ate and loved it so much annoyed me very much, she isnt gonna change ever...also the young lass who weighed 18stone, well not so long ago I weighed 17st3 and lost weight myself so why hadnt she tried so hard...The other man was wasting time also but why send round a trolley to a weight loss ward, didnt make sense...None of them made me feel empathy for them, all very selfish people..

Now on the other hand did you watch last night's programme about homeless people, one lady who had breast cancer, marriage fell apart, got evicted and asked to share a filthy shared house (lasted 2 weeks and then council said she made herself deliberately homeless) whilst her home sat empty...Shame on Barclays...

Elainexx
    I watched Weight Watch Ward last night with mounting anger. I kept thinking to myself it's their fault they are overweight by stuffing themselves with all the wrong food and consequently having all the health problems obesity brings, plus worn out joints. And then there is me, and very probably you too, who have struggled with weight problems because we've got different types of arthritis and just cannot exercise as much as we should but we do what we can when we can. And we all very likely eat a healthy diet because we know the consequences if we don't. So there they are having treatment and operations on the NHS costing approximately £8000 a time, when we have to wait months for treatment to help alleviate our pain. I can only talk for myself here, but my OA was not caused by being overweight as it slowly crept in when I was in my mid 30's weighing a mere 8.1/2 stone and I get so very cross when I read articles or listen to so called experts who say joint replacements are only needed because people are overweight.

Rant over.

Will be interested to hear your comments.

Janet xx
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Missed the programme about homeless people Elaine, but have seen similar programmes in the past. Always feel sorry for homeless people as it must be horrible to have to live on the streets. My daughter dated a homeless young man for a while, but we never got to the real reason why his father had kicked him out at the age of 16. On the other hand, my niece's husband was asked to leave the family home and his family when he was still at school as his parents were strict JW's and he didn't want to be one. He had to stay with various friends until he was old enough to leave school and get a job. He has done very well for himself and they have two delightful children.

Janet xx