Malabsorbtion

Options
scattered
scattered Member Posts: 326
edited 26. Dec 2012, 13:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I know I don't post very often but I'm hoping to pick your brains a little. Over the last few weeks I have discovered via blood tests that I am deficient in B12, Ferrarin (iron) and Folate (folic acid). I shouldn't be deficient in any of them because I've been on B12 supplements for a year, I take folic acid after my MTX and my diet is good. I've been referred to a gastroenterologist for further tests but I was wondering if any forum members had experience of these deficiencies, especially with autoimmune arthritis.

Thanks.
Scat.

Comments

• deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry can't help you with that but just wanted to wish you luck in getting to the bottom of this. Isn't it strange that you are doing/taking all the right things and you are still having problems. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Take care Dee x
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Hello there Scat

I dont post too often either, but my experience may or may not be helpful.

I have longstanding RA and was continuously getting very anaemic despite iron infusions etc and had an endoscopy as they thought I may have a small bleed from the anti-inflammatories and prednisolone taken over 40 years.

No bleed found, but biopsies showed I had coeliac disease - probably had it for some time and wasn't absorbing any minerals from my food or supplements. Going gluten free has vastly improved the situation, plus Rituximab infusion are controlling the RA much better, which in turn improves anaemia of chronic disease.

They thought I had pernicious anaemia too and I had some injections of B12 a couple of years ago, but haven't needed any more.

I hadn;t realised quite how tired I was until Hb of 7 was making me feel faint!

Good luck with the gastroenterologist, I am sure it is a good thing to be investigated.

Hope you aren't feeling too bad in the meantime

Happy Christmas!

Lizx
  • scattered
    Options
    Thanks Dee.

Liz, coeliac disease is a diagnosis my GP was considering. Thanks for your response. It helps to know that others have been through similar things. I'm glad that your treatment is helping your RA. I've always been slightly anaemic and it has always been attributed to being anaemia of chronic disease. In the six years I've had RA, my hg has never been above 11.9. At least it hadn't 'til I started taking the iron supplements - now it's 13!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry scattered I cant help either, but I am glad they have picked up on it for you,and I do wish you well with it and hope they get it sorted x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I've had low iron levels a couple of times, sorted with pills. My rheumatologist said it could be caused both by RA and by the meds taken for the RA :roll: No idea re the others though but I hope there is a quick and simple answer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I wish I could help because you have helped me on more than one occasion but, alas, I don't have the required experience: I've experienced low iron (remedied by iron pills and an improved diet) but everything else has been OK (well, so far!) I hope this is soon resolved for the better. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scattered
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It helps just knowing that there are people out there who know and are wishing me well. Gastro appt is in February, so not far away. I'll just keep taking the supplements and hope they have an answer!

Take care.
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi Scattered,

I have RA and hypothyroid. 12 months ago I was also found to be deficient in B12. Its another of the wonderful autoimmune conditions called pernicious anaemia which means you lack the intrinsic factor that is necessary for the absorption of dietary B12. For those with pernicious anaemia, the only way to treat is with regular B12 injections. You start having a loading dose of 1 injection every 2 weeks for 6 weeks then, after that, have an injection every 12 weeks. If this is what you have then the treatment is straightforward and will be done by your GP or practice nurse.

Hope you get treatment soon

Jan
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Bumped up for Lupin. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Thanks.. i am on a wheat free diet... wonder if that has made any difference as i dont eat cereals etc. Will let people know what happens after blood test.
    Its funny because i do feel faint and dizzy but had put it down to low blood sugar.. always knackered but cant sleep. What this space will have a long list of questions for the doctor when i go. Need to get this sorted.. along with my mouth ... It will be interesting to see what happens.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    mmmmm interesting! I had similar thoughts, I wondered why when my diet is very good, that my body obviously doesn't process the foods into all my bodily needs? I am deficit in calcium and some hormones, that I know of, I don't think I've been tested for anything else. Might not even be connected?

Good post, I wonder if there will be any answers?
  • lupin15
    Options
    cereals have b12.... which i do not eat. The doctor did say that chemo can damage the lower intestines.. plus i did have my ovaries zapped. The drug i take could be to blame for some pain which is to stop my body making estrogen which feeds my cancer. My lad has said my diet due to not eating wheat may not have helped. Also the thrush could have spread down into my intestines which could be adding to this mix. Ahh yes forgot my gallbladder going for scan as that appears to be joining in with the party. I am hopping that someone else has come across this and can shed some more light on this.
    Airwave the doctor said they don't normally check for B12 and the only reason he is going to check it is because my mouth is now burning. ( a sign of b12 probs). It maybe worth asking your GP to do a blood test to check.
  • scattered
    Options
    B12 is found mainly in animal products and fortified cereals. Milk, milk products and meat are the main sources of B12, so it unlikely that cutting put wheat would affect it, unless you're vegan.

I was originally tested for B12 deficiency because I developed cracks at the corners of my mouth. They come back and my mouth gets very sore if my levels drop again, which unfortunately they do every two months or so, despite supplementing my diet.

I hope you get some answers.
  • lupin15
    Options
    scattered wrote:
    B12 is found mainly in animal products and fortified cereals. Milk, milk products and meat are the main sources of B12, so it unlikely that cutting put wheat would affect it, unless you're vegan.

I was originally tested for B12 deficiency because I developed cracks at the corners of my mouth. They come back and my mouth gets very sore if my levels drop again, which unfortunately they do every two months or so, despite supplementing my diet.

I hope you get some answers.[/quote

i eat meat included red/dark meat, eat cheese and yogurts... it is really interesting ... off to find some Marmite... :lol::lol: