What to say please help

Options
lululu
lululu Member Posts: 486
edited 17. Dec 2012, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
A very good friend has died and I need to send cards to her close familiy. This lady was so kind and loving she had so many friends whom she had known for years. Her family are also lovely and this will be my last contact with the family. Being so near to xmas also does not help, my problem is - whatever can I say on the cards.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well it hard to know what to put but make sure you tell them how you feel and that you would like to stay in touch in some way good luck val
    val
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I can't really help. Condolence letters always phaze me. I think you can only be sincere. Your second and third sentences would make a good start. You don't have to say a lot and I'm not sure how much worse the actual loss is for being at this time of year. Yes, plans will be disrupted and subsequent Christmasses poignant but the loss of a loved one is a huge thing whenever it occurs. I hope you can think of something suitable, lululu. It must be very tough on you, too. A good friend is a major loss.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Oh lulu
    I'm sorry....but I'm no help either.....its the one thing that I can never think of.
    Just want you to know I'm thinking about you. ((((()))))
    Maybe DD will see this....she has a way with words :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry pet I'm not good at this kind of thing either, as SW pointed out the second and thrird line of your post could be a good start, my condolences to you...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • lululu
    Options
    Thank you all for trying to help. I know what you mean Sticky, what I meant is that it is going to be hard for them as they have grandchildren and it will be hard to be Christmassy with the youngsters.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Wish I could help hun but I'm useless at that sort of thing.
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am so sorry to read about the death of your friend, lululu, how very sad for you and her family. When I have to send similar cards to people I sometimes call upon the wise words of Kahlil Gibran in his book The Prophet (from his chapter on Joy and Sorrow) 'The deeper sorrow carves into your being the more joy you can contain' and 'When you are sorrowful, look again into your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight'

The most important thing is to be sincere and not gushy. Sometimes the right words won't come immediately in which case send a simple card but follow that with a letter at a later time. Once again, my condolences on your loss. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I know lots of people will read cards and letters of sympathy many times over, after the loss of a loved one. The simplest of words, which may appear as cliche, still bring comfort to people. When I lost my mother, I was so moved by the cards in which people had mentioned their own special memories of her - holidays they'd spent with her, or a particular kindness she'd offered someone. With a few short words, they were able to show me how this wonderful person had touched their lives. The greatest legacy anyone can leave behind.

Perhaps writing about one of your own many happy memories of your friend might bring her family comfort too.

My condolences.
  • LesBrown
    LesBrown Member Posts: 37
    Options
    the fact you posted on hear means you are thinking of them and their loss!

without knowing it you've already started your letter in the best way possable.
  • lululu
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. I am not usually lost for words but this has really hit me hard. I think I had already decided to go along the lines RC has mentioned. I often find comfort in the words of the prophets DD strange how anything so old can seem to be so revevent today. Again thank you everyone.