blue badge question

Options
LesBrown
LesBrown Member Posts: 37
edited 19. Dec 2012, 12:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
is it my imagination or are the questions not geared up for Arthritis ,the question how far can you walk?.

In my case not at all or couple of miles depends on if its flair up time or not,the question dosn't state at worst or at best,that would make more sense.Its almost as if they are asking you to lie or the questionaire was written by a single minded moron who thinks all questions can be answered by a simple yes or no.

I wouldn't mind filling in a longer application form if the questions were at least sensable and allow us to tell the truth without prejudicing our application.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's a long time since I filled in one of these but I'd be very surprised if any 'benefits' form was geared up for arthritis. It would be nice though if, occasionally, they acknowledged the vast spectrum of grey situated between black and white. Good luck, Les.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Les
    The last one I had was filled in by my GP,but I suppose when it lapses I will have to answer all the questions ...not looking forward :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Les

Dont tell them you can walk couple of miles whether or not its a good day....Tell it as your worst day then shave off a few yards, metres, they dont play fair so why should we?
    Honesty doesnt figure when it comes to things like this sorry.

Elainexx
    LesBrown wrote:
    is it my imagination or are the questions not geared up for Arthritis ,the question how far can you walk?.

In my case not at all or couple of miles depends on if its flair up time or not,the question dosn't state at worst or at best,that would make more sense.Its almost as if they are asking you to lie or the questionaire was written by a single minded moron who thinks all questions can be answered by a simple yes or no.

I wouldn't mind filling in a longer application form if the questions were at least sensable and allow us to tell the truth without prejudicing our application.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Les

When I filled mine in I said what it was like on my worst days............Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I think if you was to mention you could walk 2 miles, then I cannot see them signing that off as it would appear that your mobility is pretty good.

I would suggest you base this on a bad day and how far you can walk on your more painfull days as its those days that you need your Blue Badge for. :)
  • LesBrown
    LesBrown Member Posts: 37
    Options
    oops,worst days it is then.

but what about those inverstigations you hear of when someone is caught doing the garden?.this is the one I can never get my head around,we have to claim,thats for sure but it looks like we can get caught out lying by trying to get on with as normal a life as possable.Or are we meant to lie down and do nothing when we make a claim for anything not necessarily BB.
  • Rewter
    Options
    I have recently got another BB as my mobility is pretty poor on a good day now so it has become an essential thing for day to day living. However, I understand that people have good days and bad days so I guess its how many bad days you get each month.

People will advise different things on this question but to me, only get a BB if you need it, the same for DLA. I could not spend my life looking over my shoulder and if I could still do lots of things like gardening a majority of the time, I would not claim for a BB or DLA. It is all down to your personal circumstances.
  • Rewter
    Options
    In fact, I guess you could always have your medical history and health care profressionals to back you up.

Please don't take my above post in a negative way, just reading it back it might come across in the wrong way. :)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    If you are applying for BB and get one but then find yourself on a 'good' day just don't use the BB that day. Keep the BB for the days when you really need to get as near as possible to shops, etc.
    With regards to what anyone else thinks stuff 'em.
    If you don't ask you won't get but as the others have said base your answers on ability to walk on your worst days. Unfortunately, arthritis has a tendency to get worse not better ...
    Good luck.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I had to get a medical history. This is only my second BB so i rang the surgery to find out what to do.
    They said fill the form in basing it on my worse day and they would send a copy of my medical history {applicable bits} over the past 3 years.
    Wasn't sure if I would get it or not but I did. :D

I need the bigger space to get the rollator out of the car.

If I have my stick/crutch with me and am not very sore or going very far I dont use it.

Love
    Hileena
  • Rewter
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Hi,
    If you are applying for BB and get one but then find yourself on a 'good' day just don't use the BB that day. Keep the BB for the days when you really need to get as near as possible to shops, etc.
    With regards to what anyone else thinks stuff 'em.
    If you don't ask you won't get but as the others have said base your answers on ability to walk on your worst days. Unfortunately, arthritis has a tendency to get worse not better ...
    Good luck.
    GraceB

This makes a lot more sense than th drivel I typed out :D

Just use the BB as and when you need to. On a good day, just don't use it.

Not sure if this will help with regards to your question around people seeing you doing things at home. I would assume ( probably most wrongly ) that if you only use the blue badge when you need it, you run less risk of people falsely accusing and reporting you of having a badge with no need.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Rewter

Its not about looking over your shoulder because it is the truth but telling it as the worst day/time of it...Far from those who get filmed doing golf days, exotic holiday pursuits......Those people are milking it....
    The DWP, ATOS dont put down everything as it is, they interpret it how they want it to be seen so in a sense we have to box clever too...Its alll based in facts.....

Elainexx
    Rewter wrote:
    I have recently got another BB as my mobility is pretty poor on a good day now so it has become an essential thing for day to day living. However, I understand that people have good days and bad days so I guess its how many bad days you get each month.

People will advise different things on this question but to me, only get a BB if you need it, the same for DLA. I could not spend my life looking over my shoulder and if I could still do lots of things like gardening a majority of the time, I would not claim for a BB or DLA. It is all down to your personal circumstances.
  • Rewter
    Options
    Elaine - I agree with exactly what you are saying but please remember my following post, "Please don't take my above post in a negative way, just reading it back it might come across in the wrong way."

You tell the truth based on a bad day, however, if you have a fair few good days as well, where do you stand if they was to be watching you, for whatever reason, on these numerous good days? That is what Les's second point is about ( I think :) ). Remember, he says some days he can walk a few miles, some not at all.

All people would see is you doing these activities and may question why you have claimed for support. I once read in a news paper where a lady was having a pillion passenger ride on a Harley Davidson motorbike but was claiming disability. Sitting on the back seat of a large, low and comfy bike is hardly a physically demanding persuit but it was enough for them to pull her up on it and question what she had put in her forms. What she had put is that she struggles with stairs, most likely on her worse day. Same thing Les and his gardening example, a past time that requires physical work.

"The DWP, ATOS dont put down everything as it is, they interpret it how they want it to be seen so in a sense we have to box clever too...Its alll based in facts....."
    You highlight exactly my point. They interpret how they want. If you can participate in activities that could be turned round against you, you will have a risk of it been questioned. That is the point I am trying to make.

You and I understand good and bad days, if the people who deal with DLA and BB understood this as well, then they would tailor the forms to suit our disability more and be a bit more forgiving. :)

Again, I hope I don't come across in the wrong way Elaine :D
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I really do think the proverbial gun has been jumped here....Dont want to scare Les off...Everyone with an illness has good and bad days and I think the majority of people who are caught on camera are benefit cheats, having a blue badge doesnt always mean you are on benefits.....
    We are in effect discussing what probably wont ever happen...I for one was just answering in the way I would to anyone with same question on here...

Elainexx
    Rewter wrote:
    Elaine - I agree with exactly what you are saying but please remember my following post, "Please don't take my above post in a negative way, just reading it back it might come across in the wrong way."

You tell the truth based on a bad day, however, if you have a fair few good days as well, where do you stand if they was to be watching you, for whatever reason, on these numerous good days? That is what Les's second point is about ( I think :) ). Remember, he says some days he can walk a few miles, some not at all.

All people would see is you doing these activities and may question why you have claimed for support. I once read in a news paper where a lady was having a pillion passenger ride on a Harley Davidson motorbike but was claiming disability. Sitting on the back seat of a large, low and comfy bike is hardly a physically demanding persuit but it was enough for them to pull her up on it and question what she had put in her forms. What she had put is that she struggles with stairs, most likely on her worse day. Same thing Les and his gardening example, a past time that requires physical work.

"The DWP, ATOS dont put down everything as it is, they interpret it how they want it to be seen so in a sense we have to box clever too...Its alll based in facts....."
    You highlight exactly my point. They interpret how they want. If you can participate in activities that could be turned round against you, you will have a risk of it been questioned. That is the point I am trying to make.

You and I understand good and bad days, if the people who deal with DLA and BB understood this as well, then they would tailor the forms to suit our disability more and be a bit more forgiving. :)

Again, I hope I don't come across in the wrong way Elaine :D
  • Rewter
    Options
    Not scare mongering Elaine, just providing a balanced view point and trying to get an understanding of this situation also :)

I fully understand that not all BB holders are on benefits as I fall under this catogory myself. However, its not just the BB. If you read into his second post more closely....... "Or are we meant to lie down and do nothing when we make a claim for anything not necessarily BB." That would suggest or hint at claiming for something else. :?

I agree, it will most likely not happen, but he did ask the question and I too have asked the same question on my last post also, "You tell the truth based on a bad day, however, if you have a fair few good days as well, where do you stand if they was to be watching you, for whatever reason, on these numerous good days? "

Once more, apologies if my post come across in a way that you feel could scare people off. I too just want to understand this situation and its all new to me. I would hope that by me probing with my responses, somebody on here might have had experiance of this and answer Les's second question. :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I think you're providing a very balanced viewpoint, Rewter. BB applications do seem to be a minefield and different authorities seem to take different attitudes towards issuing them.

I think the sensible thing would be to enlist the help of one's GP or CAB or maybe Age UK if that is applicable. The one thing I wouldn't do, though, would be to
    Tell it as your worst day then shave off a few yards, metres, they dont play fair so why should we?
    Honesty doesnt figure when it comes to things like this sorry.
    On a purely practical level, that would lay oneself wide open to charges of misrepresentation. On an ethical level it leaves quite a lot to be desired.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Surely honesty is key. I've always replied honestly when I've re-applied for mine and will always do so. I freely offer my GP and rheumatology consultant as witnesses on my behalf but they've never been contacted. Being reliant on crutches and a rollator are points in my favour but, as I've said before, I do wonder why I bother when so many park in 'our' bays without the required 'authorisation'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rewter
    Options
    I think I have said enough on this post for now but based on the last two post, I hope Les sees your view as well as this is sound, constructive advice. Tell the truth, on your worse day and you can keep your head held high.

Les - If I have barked up the wrong tree I will come back and apologies to you and others on this thread but I really seem to think that from your second post, you was hinting towards DLA so drove that point home.

Rew
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Another factor to consider about BBs is that they are not only for those with mobility issues, other medical issues can qualify someone for a badge. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben