Doctor's app.

Options
barry2012
barry2012 Member Posts: 19
edited 26. Dec 2012, 10:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
My GP has arranged a app for me this wed at hosp to discuss getting a knee replacement. my arthritis has got a lot worse over the last month and is making retirement not what i hopped for, walking, cycling just general life is hard. My age is 60, young for a knee replacement but my feeling is to get it done and enjoy life for the next 10 to 15 years, any thoughts would be most welcome

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum.
    I was 62 when I had a hip replacement.
    I would say go for it and enjoy the rest of your life.

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi barry and welcome
    We have many on hear that are so pleased with there new knees,our more recent one is our Elainebadknee, she is in her 30s and 6 weeks post op i think..she is so glad she had it done.
    So you go for it, oh and there is Elna that has had both knees done...I will pm them for you to then they can get in touch with you.
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I had my first two TKRs at 35 after 20 years of RA had caused the OA. If they are offering you one (and many people on here have waited a long time for theirs) only you can decide. If you have one now then you will probably need a revision later. It's a bigger op and a bigger implant but mine's perfect.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'd say go for it if they give you the chance. Both my knees are shot to bits with OA thanks to joint damage caused by my auto-immune arthritis, I'm 53, I use a rollator for walking and I have to wait until I am at least 55 before they'll consider me.

It is a fairly straightforward operation but you will need to be a very sensible man after and play your part in doing the exercises, going to physio and in not being too impatient to get your life back to 'normal'. With careful use your shiny new joint should last you a good long while and the benefit to your overall quality of life will be good. What's not to like? :wink: Good luck with the appointment and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Go for it, Barry. :D As Barbara said I have had both knees replaced and never regretted it. I was about 57 and 59 at the time of my ops.
    I shall be 62 in a few days time.

If you can have a choice, early in the year is best, I thought so, anyway, so you are really up and "running" :lol: by the time the better weather comes along. 8)

One thing less to worry about as other symptoms come along. :roll: :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barry2012
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you have confirmed my feeling that if I can get a new knee I should go for it, will let you know result of wednesday's meeting.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Barry

Get it done its not age that matters, it quality of life...It'll be a journey but you will be glad youve had it done....
    60 is young but younger have it done too....Im 44 (thanks Barbara for putting me in 30's - i wish!).....If it gives you 10-15years pain free go for it!

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi barry and welcome
    We have many on hear that are so pleased with there new knees,our more recent one is our Elainebadknee, she is in her 30s and 6 weeks post op i think..she is so glad she had it done.
    So you go for it, oh and there is Elna that has had both knees done...I will pm them for you to then they can get in touch with you.
    You take care x
  • barry2012
    Options
    Had my app today and will be having a knee replacement operation on Feb 12th. I can't really believe how quick it's all happening. Our G.P. has a system whereby they buy in services they need, and I will be going to a private hospital in Lincolnshire called St Hugh's. I understand it's pretty good. I am looking to getting my active life back, allthough I do understand a long road lies ahead. Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas. Barry.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barry

It all sounds good, going to the private hopsital...The GP system sounds wonderful...
    I wish you a merry christmas and happy new year...Here's to a new knee for a new year!!

Elainexx
    barry2012 wrote:
    Had my app today and will be having a knee replacement operation on Feb 12th. I can't really believe how quick it's all happening. Our G.P. has a system whereby they buy in services they need, and I will be going to a private hospital in Lincolnshire called St Hugh's. I understand it's pretty good. I am looking to getting my active life back, allthough I do understand a long road lies ahead. Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas. Barry.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hiya Barry,
    Welcome to the website and the forum!
    I had a partial knee replacement at 44 so no, you're not too young!
    I would however just caution that you make sure you do your exercises post-op and get as much preparation before done as you can. It all helps afterwards.
    After my op I was advised to make sure I had my pain meds on time whether I thought I needed them or not and that was for the first 3 weeks. My BIL stopped his meds after a few days (his pain was under control due to the meds) - two days later he was mentally climbing the walls as he then had to get the pain under control again. He now admits that he should have followed the advice he was given.
    When you go for your pre-op assessment, take a written list of questions with you - should you have any - and ask away. Don't think a question will be daft - you should have seen my list pre-op!
    If you can, try and start doing your post-op exercises before you have the surgery as it'll help. My father had a TKR in April this year (aged 87) and within two weeks was walking better than he had in years; at 24 hrs post op he had a 90 degree bend - it took me 3 weeks to get to that point... Dad's consultant said it was because he'd started his post-op exercises early.
    I wish you all the best with this. In the meantime if I can help in any way with queries or questions just PM me.
    Take care and have a good Christmas.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I wish you all the best with your new knee too. (What a Christmas present :D ) I'd go a step further than GraceB and advise you to get pre-op exercises in. The stronger your knee and leg muscles are before the op the quicker recovery will be afterwards. AC have an exercise booklet if you go to Publications and Resources (top of page). Be guided by your surgical team and don't try to cut corners. I hope it goes really well for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Congratulations! There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I hope all goes well. I second what others have said about getting ahead with the exercises because that can only help your recovery. Good luck! DD
  • barry2012
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone for their comments, can I ask about the pre op exercises people mention, I was given no information today, can I just do some walking and or cycling or should I get a more organised programme.
    Barry.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you Barry..its not easy is it but you have done it and it wont be long before you do have your life back,and all in time for summer.. :)
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Barry
    I can only go by hip replacement but I'm sure as far as pre op exercises go its not a lot different....the exercises are of course :wink: but what happens I would think would me much the same.

I had my pre op, then had a physio appointment. It wasnt an ordinary appt.
    There were about 6 of us having THR's about the same time so the physio had us in a room and explained what pre op exercises we had to do, demonstrated them, gave us leaflets and also told us about post op ones as well. This came just after my pre op assessment.

Just my experience

Love
    Hileena
  • barry2012
    Options
    Hi Hileena.
    My pre op is on Feb 1st with the op on Feb 12, it just seems to me to be a short time before the op for the exerise programme to be worthwhile, but this is all new to me. I am waiting for our helpline to get back to me. Will let you know what happens.
    Barry.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barry

The exercises are:-

knee flexions using a board and a doughnut (rolled up tubigrip bandage into doughnut) put heel on doughnut and bend knee as far as you can whilst sitting upright in bed, hold for 10seconds, repeat...I do 30 twice a day...
    Straight leg raises..Again on bed tense quad muscle and lift the leg, hold for 10seconds twice a day.
    Using a chair where you can swing your legs do this and push leg with bad knee as far as you can.
    Ankle flexions...Put rolled up towel under ankle and lift heel, hold for 10 seconds...

There will be more online too or other will advise too..

Elainexx
    barry2012 wrote:
    Hi Hileena.
    My pre op is on Feb 1st with the op on Feb 12, it just seems to me to be a short time before the op for the exerise programme to be worthwhile, but this is all new to me. I am waiting for our helpline to get back to me. Will let you know what happens.
    Barry.
  • barry2012
    Options
    Don't know if it's the wet weather, but my knee is really playing up today, after doing the big christmas shop this morning went back to bed for a couple of hours, am doing my pre op exercises many thanks for all the tips.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Neither wet weather nor big Christmas shops are good for knees. Get as much rest in as you can. There are some exercises here which might help. http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement/Healthylifestyle
    Steven Wright
  • barry2012
    Options
    Just wanted to wish everyone you has given me advice and support a very happy christmas and a peaceful new year.
    Barry.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Elna likes this. :D Seasons greetings and hopefully catch up next year. :)
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barry2012
    Options
    It was such a lovely morning, that I got the bike out and rode a 4 mile circuit, felt really good, no extra pain, hope to slowly build up muscle and stamia. Got some cheap plants from B&Q as well, so it's been a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's never too late to start exercising to build up muscle strength and it's amazing just how quickly it can be lost. I was recently 'stranded' due to a double carpal tunnel operation which meant that I could not use any of my walking aids for about three weeks. After gingerly gripping a pair of walking sticks the intial few days to tottering around caused my ankle and knee joints a deal of trouble as what little tone I had possessed had almost gone. Be thankful you can ride your bike, do a short ride every day, do the exercises and I'm sure things will be a deal easier for you post-op! DD