Blue badge

Options
Lolabilly
Lolabilly Member Posts: 41
edited 18. Dec 2012, 18:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
So I received a diagnosis from my consultant , I'm not sure how to get a blue badge or anything along those lines. How do I go about getting a written letter from the docs? I'm very new to this :(

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Lolabilly
    If you dont get DLA you can still go to the GOV UK site and fill out a form for a blue badge.they will forward it to your council who will probably write to your GP to see how far you can walk without pain and other info
    I hope this helps you, and sorry if you are new then welcome from me xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    Thank you Barbara :) I'm going to go see my doctor so il talk to him
    About it too :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Lolabilly, I too live in Ipswich and when I needed a BB I rang the local Social Services office (but this was a good few years ago). Your GP should be able to help though and I hope he / she does. Good luck with your application. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    Thank you dd :) I think I spoke to you before on my old user name nice to speak to you again!
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi

I rang the BB helpline number, given to me from my local library, I have been approved for the badge and they didn't even say they'd be contacting my GP or anyone else for that matter. I've paid for the badge but haven't received it yet, it seems too easy to get one........... hoep you are sucessful. It will help me so much in getting to work.

S xx
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I think each Borough Council has its own way of doing it. The government provide guidelines and example questionairs to fill in but its down to the individual Council to decide how they will operate.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Every area has its own way.
    When I got my first one {3 yrs ago} I had to go to our social services and tat was it.....small form to fill in...no docs recommendations or anything.
    This time was different......a massive form. It has been taken over by the County Council now and I needed medical info....The surgery copied out my last few years medical history {applicable stuff} and sent it off for me.
    I got the BB :D
    I'm not on any benefits so that doesnt matter.

Love
    Hileena
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    It's all online from what I can see :( and they would want a mobility assessment it's hard cos on some days I'm ok but others I struggle to get out of bed what a minefield! I'm going to go see the doctor and ask for advice they are really nice at mine and have helped with stuff like this before :)
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Options
    Hello!

I did wonder if you were local to me DD as I recall a visit you paid to 'The Rotund Feline' (for medicinal reasons!) and thought I might know of such an establishment!

I'm live in a town just outside Ipswich but my ex-boyfriend lives that end of town. I seem to only visit Ipswich for hospital appointments these days.

I had completed the form for a BB and was about to send it off when I received my DLA for high mobility - it's quite long and they ask for permission to contact your GP. I don't know what your GP is like but mine is ace and I just let her know that I will be applying for stuff so she's aware of what's coming up.

Good luck!

Nx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Lola
    That seems the best idea. Your doctor or even the CAB......sometimes we cn be to subjective when we are filling in forms for ourselves
    Love
    Hileena
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Lola
    That seems the best idea. Your doctor or even the CAB......sometimes we cn be to subjective when we are filling in forms for ourselves
    Love
    Hileena

I just know il downplay it cos I have done for months so i think it might be best to get a doc in on it :) thank you hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    Good luck and let us know what happens

Love
    Hileena
  • Lolabilly
    Options