Hi!

ali87uk
ali87uk Member Posts: 17
edited 20. Dec 2012, 13:51 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone
I am new here recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in my sacroiliac joint - spondylitis. I'm 25 and finding diagnosis bit of a shock! Had pain for over 2 years before diagnosis so I guess it's good knowing what it is rather than being made to feel like was making it up.

Having steroid intramuscular jabs but first one only lasted 7 weeks. Any thoughts on treatment gratefully received as next step up treatment wise is methotrexate.

Ali

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Ali, it's nice to meet you and I'm glad you've found us. I've had a rough day (with my PsA and OA) so can't answer at length but we are a good bunch on here, both informative and supportive and I look forward to seeing your name here and there. Take care and I hope to be back with a better reply tomorrow. DD

PS Meth is the usual first step (either that or sulphasalzine) and the idea behind them is to get the immune system subdued to the point that the arthritis is controlled. For some that plan works well and let's hope you're in that number, yes?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Ali. It’s good to meet you. I think it’s always better to know what we’re up against but it doesn’t always seem like that right after we’ve been told, does it?

Mine is RA rather than PsA but the treatments are much the same. Fortunately, I don’t have much back trouble but that’s virtually the only decent bit of me :roll:

People react differently to steroid jabs. For some they work beautifully: for others, hardly at all. Don’t fear methotrexate (though most do) I’ve been on it for over 10 years and I’m really good on it. If you go down that route you’ll be well monitored so that nothing really nasty will happen. You will need something to control the disease and meth is usually first port of call. I hope to see you around the other forums.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Ali
    And a warm welcome from me.
    Like the others have said it really does help to get a diagnosis,I have had quite a few steroid injections over the years some have worked and some haven't, its one of life mystery's I'm afraid.
    I was told by my pain clinic, they can work better the second time, so I am always willing to give them another go.
    I do hope you stay with us you will get loads of information off here and support.
    Take care x
    Love
    Barbara