Starting to get some understanding.

Options
Rewter
Rewter Member Posts: 77
edited 18. Dec 2012, 15:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, I am starting to get somewhere.

As some on here might have read, I already know about my Osteoarthrits in both hips at 36 years of age. However, I was recently told verbally that I had Arthritis in my lower spine after an X-Ray which explained all the terrible aches and pain I get in my lower back. However, when I went to my GP, the report said my back has no signs of Spondylitis and was perfectly normal.

After a few appointments, I was made to feel like I was imagining what the consultant told me. Fast forward a few months and I have just had my first Physio appointment with somebody who actually listened to me. Off she went, came back with a lap top and went through my lower back X-Rays. Yup, I have a flat lower back, not a nice curve with obvious signs of lumbar Spondylosis. She also noticed that the spacing on the last 2 vertebrae she could see on the X-Ray was very close together and was a cause for concern. She had a good push at my lower back and the pain was immense. She worked up my spine and as she got further up, it was still painfull but not as bad. She mentioned I could have Arthritis all the way up. Then she got to my neck. I have really struggled with this and the pain again was very, very bad. Based on what she can see on the lower back X-Ray, my posture, what she can feel and pain levels, she has agreed that I should get this looked at as it also appears I have Cervical Spondylosis.

I guess that means more test and consulant meetings. Its a shame this could not have been looked at 2 months back. However, I now have some very painful exercise to have a go out now. :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I’m glad you feel you’re getting somewhere, Rewter. A good physio is a treasure indeed – even though the exercises hurt a bit :roll:

The question of osteoarthritis/spondylitis/spondylosis is a bit hard to get one’s head round. I think Arthritis Research UK explain it well here.

http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/q-and-a/misc/marjorie-vickery.aspx

Keep going with the exercises. I hope they help a lot.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rewter
    Options
    Thankyou. I guess I will get some more understanding once I go to a consultation and get officially told. At least I know I am not going mad lol!!!

Not sure what my options are but rather than get ahead of myself, I will need to see what is happening in my neck firstly.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Physios are an under-estimated resource of information and knowledge. The one I had after my first synovectomy taught me a great deal about my joints and how they work and I still do her exercises on a regular basis.

Accurate diagnosis can take time, Rewter, but you are on the right path and are being believed - both are good things! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Rewter
    Options
    Yes, she was very patient with me and explained everything in detail. Even went and got a big Skeleton to show me how everything works. I learnt as much in one session with her than a majority of my previous consultations.

I am just hoping hat some of these exercises give me a slight bit of mobility back. I have been at them all weekend and in the office this morning but currently, all they are doing is making my back ache even more. The twist seem to not be too bad, its when I am told to sit in a certain posture that is killing me.

It wil be trial and error and things could get a lot worse before they get better. We shall see.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Rewter
    Like you, originally I was told by my Physio....no one mentions OA of the back just my hips, physio are trained in muscles and joints so it make sense really, but what I cant get over is the GP knowing or consultant and not saying anything
    Hopefully you are now on your way to proper treatment.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Rewter
    Options
    Yes, thats the anoyance I have. The GP been told by myself that my spine has straightend in a place it should not. He was on the edge of doing something about it as he could see I had obviously been told something about it to hold down that conversation. He ended up just sending me away and disregarded it after a bit of deliberation.

I have another appointment with him tomorrow so I think that a full scan of my spine and neck is in order. I got the impression that they cannot do as much with the spine so just put up with it. To me, it should all be investigated and show on your medical history.

I was sent to the Rhumie for a potential underlying form of RA. Alarm bells started ringing when he mentioned that he would write to my GP but he himself would not be writing about the Osteoarthritis in my back. He just reported back on no Spondylitis.

As she has mentioned specifcally that two of my vertebra appear to be very close together and a cause for concern, is it likely I will need an MRI? She has hinted my middle back could have mild degeneration and that it is likely my neck will have pronounced issues.
  • Rewter
    Options
    Well, I have relayed what the physio has told me to mention to my GP today. I was hoping to be taken seriously, but alas, that is not the case. Apparently, if I have arthritis in the neck and spine, it's is not going to get any better so not much point in been referred.

I have really pushed this so he will make contact with my physio for a chat but says no real point in looking into this. It's wear and tear as you get older. Strange how all my friends of 36 years of age are out playing football, jogging and have no health complaints.

To say I am feeling down about this is understatement of the year. This though is another thing, he has given me some questionnaires to fill out as thinks my mobility problems could be making me depressed! You don't say!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This is one of the major problems with OA - because it is so common, and there isn't much to be done about it, the tendency is for some to to say 'Get on with it.' You are right that at the age of 36 it shouldn't be llike this for you but OA, like the auto-types, can strike at any age and I think GPs should be more aware of this than they sometimes appear. Tell him to have a look on here!

My mobility is somewhat compromised at the moment and I am indeed a total gloombucket about it: I can't currently use my crutches or rollator so I'm not going anywhere at the moment. It does get one down, and that must be far worse for you as you are considerably younger than me. I'm sorry mate, I wish I could be more constructive but sometimes the words just don't exist. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It's very bad luck to get OA so young, especially having to watch your contemporaries 'frollicking about' but it does happen and, unfortunately, damage done is damage done. The treatments are exercises and pain relief and eventually, if appropriate, surgery. I wish it were otherwise, Rewter. I had two TKRs aged 35 as my RA had caused OA in both knees. I'm fortunately no expert on backs, though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Rewter
    Options
    Thank you, all I can say is that if they did the surgery at 35 on you, then I am guessing your situation at that age will have been worse than mine.

Yes, having people around me having fun is a little bit of sore point as I so want to join in. This year, I had to miss my works Christmas do as I knew I could not walk from one bar to the next so gracefully bowed out.

Oh well, it's fair to say though that others will be in a much worse position than myself so think myself lucky :)

Hopefully, next year I will get some resolution...