Has anyone heard of this???

Options
Lolabilly
Lolabilly Member Posts: 41
edited 18. Dec 2012, 08:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
So after meeting with my consultant (the actual consultant not a registrar!!) he has booked me in for an MRI and as a day case where they knock me out and inject local anasetic into my hip joint to find the source of pain on top of the arthritis he has already found on the X-rays, he seems to think there's more than one source of pain round that area? He said it could be dead tissue or nerve damage but wouldn't know until this op was done. He then said it would mainly be surgical until they could do my hip replacement he wants to put it off until 5 years time because I'm only 23 :( sorry about the spelling and it being abit garbled

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lola
    I had one of these earlier in the year, while I was asleep they also put a little camera in, not that it told them much they are still undecided between my back and hips, I was a little sore after and I mean a little , and had to use a crutch for a day or so....not sure if they are just doing the injection you might not need crutches....hope they find out what is wrong...makes life much easier xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    Thank you for replying :) ah I see he didn't mention a camera but I filled in the forms had swabs and bloods taken at the appointment so I know it's coming up soonish! Be nice for some of the pain to go really although I shouldn't think of it like that really hehe! Thank you :). I'd never heard of it before!
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Just read your post. I have also had this done and although a bit uncomfortable for a few days afterwards,it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It is a very good diagnostic tool, as long as they find something! You will be fine.
    Good luck when you have it done, it could pinpoint the problem for you and then allow a treatment plan that will work and help you to feel more comfortable.
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    Thank you for the advice :) does any one have a name for the procedure certain nosey relatives want to know :/
  • Soretoe2
    Soretoe2 Member Posts: 198
    Options
    Preserve us from nosey relations....... can't remember a name I'm afraid. I vaguely remember 'deep hip injection with camera' mentioned but not sure if that's it's 'real' name.
  • okeydokey
    okeydokey Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there lolabilly , I had this done about six weeks ago (no camera) a general anaesthetic to knock me out then a local anaesthetic injected into the hip. I felt no discomfort afterwards and had great pain relief for a couple of days. I had my right hip resurfaced three years ago,but,after about a year the pain gradually crept back. I am going for a pre assessment on fri 21st and will be getting a THR pretty soon ( I hope )
    Don't worry,the whole thing is pretty painless and you may get a couplee of pain free days.
    Good Luck
    Okeydokey :mrgreen:
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    Or overly concerned mother :) haha I vote nosey though thank you for the advice really is helping me get my head round all this stuff at the moment :)
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    okeydokey wrote:
    Hi there lolabilly , I had this done about six weeks ago (no camera) a general anaesthetic to knock me out then a local anaesthetic injected into the hip. I felt no discomfort afterwards and had great pain relief for a couple of days. I had my right hip resurfaced three years ago,but,after about a year the pain gradually crept back. I am going for a pre assessment on fri 21st and will be getting a THR pretty soon ( I hope )
    Don't worry,the whole thing is pretty painless and you may get a couplee of pain free days.
    Good Luck
    Okeydokey :mrgreen:

That's the bit I'm looking forward to :) good luck with your pre assessment :) and here's hoping for a thr soon :)
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Lola,
    I reckon this sounds a bit like a knee arthroscopy. Why not call it an 'arthroscpic examination of your hip' and say it is for diagnostic and future treatment planning processes?
    I'm sure between us on here we can come up with some other confusing jargon to baffle your rello's with!
    Make sure you tell us when you get your date.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Lolabilly
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Lola,
    I reckon this sounds a bit like a knee arthroscopy. Why not call it an 'arthroscpic examination of your hip' and say it is for diagnostic and future treatment planning processes?
    I'm sure between us on here we can come up with some other confusing jargon to baffle your rello's with!
    Make sure you tell us when you get your date.
    GraceB

Even I can't pronounce that hehe! Sounds about right though :) thank you graceb :) and of course! I have filled all the forms had swabs and bloods done so I don't envision it being too long but who knows with the nhs lol