What can I do if my employer does not act on OH advice?

Options
teresagrove
teresagrove Member Posts: 35
Hi everyone,

I have recently had my second hip replacement (7 weeks ago) and am awaiting my first knee replacement in 3-6 months time.

I have been a teacher for 34 years and aim to return to work in between hospitalisation and recuperation periods.

This is fully supported and indeed recommended by my consultant and OH services employed by the council.

OH have recommended that I return to work with amended duties with caveats relating to my disability - I have severe degenerative OA and degenerative cartilage disease which is believed to be congenital.

I find stairs very difficult ( our school is built on a hill so stairs everywhere and no lift)

My consultant and OH say I should avoid bending, stooping and constantly getting up and down from a chair or the floor - recommendations are that I should teach 1:1 or small groups only

School's answer to this is to say that they cannot afford financially for me to undertake such work (although a supply teacher is teaching children on a 1:1 basis) on my return to work they want me to class teach 5-6 year old children - with an assistant in the morning only,

I am at my wits end! Any advice gratefully received

Teresa

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there,
    As I teach Y1 I understand where you're coming from. I wonder if you have asked your union for advice? When I was struggling with issues related to my RA the union gave me some useful advice...... not sure what else to suggest but hope you get some understanding and resolution.

Deb x
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Surely there's a short answer to this?
    If the school can't (or won't) make the necessary reasonable adjustments to allow you to return to your post then you can't return to it. Stay off sick and let 'em pay you. When you've had all the surgery done you'll then need to liaise with OH to see if you can return at all.
    I have a knee replacement and can't kneel on it. Some people can but others can't.
    Go back to OH and see what they suggest next. Also talk to your Union. If the school refuse to make reasonable adjustments this is discrimination.
    I too have had OH advice ignored in that I've been told I must only work a 4 day week yet when I asked for this it was refused.
    Good luck.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Hi there...

Employers 'DO' have to make reasonable adjustments as required by OH.
    But - when I saw my OH lady, she did say that any advice given is just that ADVICE, most employers will do their best to make reasonable adjustments but it is advice only and they are not totally obliged to act on all the advice.

I wish you well.... I know any dealings with OH & Employers is a stressful time... I hope you get a good outcome....

Hugs
    hugs freesia xxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    Take care and hope you recover well.
    As for school - go to your union for advice and support as theyre on a sticky wicket if they go against OH etc