Cold Weather Payment

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Jan 2013, 06:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I have received something from the DWP recently which I havent ever had before and Im quite sure its the calm before the storm as having to fill out ESA50 form...
I am on ESA income based in the WRAG....Have had 2 letters from DWP saying am getting Cold Weather Payments of £25.00...They say if the weather goes below freezing or just above it thats how its defined....I dont know how they come up with such things and no doubt if I lived on my own it would be very welcome but cant help but think when some people are struggling to make ends meet that its something thats been a bit of a strange one...

Elainexx

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A lot of the benefit payments don't have much common sense, if you need a certain amount to live then that should be the figure given, it must be very expensive to administer the varying amounts. A xmas bonus of £10, what on earth is the use of that?
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hey Ladies!
    How's this for splurging then?
    I spent my DLA Christmas Bonus of £10 on a flu jab! Wooh hoo!!! :lol:
    Celebrations were rife in the supermarket where I had it done!
    I agree there is madness in the world as seen by the DWP.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Grace

Well it was well spent wasnt it?...

I have today found out its cos im on income based ESA and therefore its means tested and cos I havent a lot of income coming in I get this payment...I am filling in the dreaded form though and suspect they will find me "fit for work" so enjoy it (?) whilst I can...

Elainexx
    GraceB wrote:
    Hey Ladies!
    How's this for splurging then?
    I spent my DLA Christmas Bonus of £10 on a flu jab! Wooh hoo!!! :lol:
    Celebrations were rife in the supermarket where I had it done!
    I agree there is madness in the world as seen by the DWP.
    GraceB
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Airwave

Now come on tell me what youve spent it on...It is a joke!

Elainexx
    Airwave! wrote:
    A lot of the benefit payments don't have much common sense, if you need a certain amount to live then that should be the figure given, it must be very expensive to administer the varying amounts. A xmas bonus of £10, what on earth is the use of that?
  • Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    Options
    I spent mine on cheese! #justsaying (as they say on Twitter!)

It will be very nice at Christmas :)

Nx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm glad to say my flu jab was free.

I thought the cold weather payment was just for pensioners but have had a look and its for those on qualifying benefits and looks like we would be entitled via tax credits. It doesn't say how cold 'cold weather' is but I'll keep an eye.

Its for 7 continuous days between 1st Nov and 31st March to protect those on benefits from suffering from extreme cold weather. It must have been very cold in your neck of the woods Elaine. We missed the snow entirely.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Guy at jobcentre said people even in foreign countries can get this payment and its decided on how cold the met office says its going to be...
    We havent been any colder than any other area I dont think, obviously not as warm as down south but thats always the case....Its not something I think I should have..

Elainex
    tkachev wrote:
    I'm glad to say my flu jab was free.

I thought the cold weather payment was just for pensioners but have had a look and its for those on qualifying benefits and looks like we would be entitled via tax credits. It doesn't say how cold 'cold weather' is but I'll keep an eye.

Its for 7 continuous days between 1st Nov and 31st March to protect those on benefits from suffering from extreme cold weather. It must have been very cold in your neck of the woods Elaine. We missed the snow entirely.

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Nic

I dont use twitter so dont know the joke....Enjoy the cheese!

Elainexx
    Nicchick wrote:
    I spent mine on cheese! #justsaying (as they say on Twitter!)

It will be very nice at Christmas :)

Nx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Our area missed it all. It was below us and above us and to the left of us and even a bit to the right!

There is a link on the gov website so you can put in your postcode and check if you qualify for this payment. Obviously it needs to be a very cold spell of weather.

I think it is cheaper not to means test it so they send it to all on the listed qualifying benefits.

But thanks for highlighting this because I certainly wasn't aware.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

I think down south should get it though I mean the UK as a whole is colder than it would be....Its not been half as cold here this winter as it was the past 2 christmases....Will enjoy it while I can and before ATOS summon me¬!

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    Our area missed it all. It was below us and above us and to the left of us and even a bit to the right!

There is a link on the gov website so you can put in your postcode and check if you qualify for this payment. Obviously it needs to be a very cold spell of weather.

I think it is cheaper not to means test it so they send it to all on the listed qualifying benefits.

But thanks for highlighting this because I certainly wasn't aware.

Elizabeth x
  • tkachev
    Options
    I've seen that some payments have been triggered in certain areas. Check out the website all you AC members on qualifying benefits.

https://www.gov.uk/cold-weather-payment/overview

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Oh I just checked and it says I will be getting 2 cold weather payments!! Because my money is put directly into my account I may have not realised they had been put in!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    I just got another letter today saying id had a CWP of 25.00....

Elainex
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    If you really don't think you should have it, give it to charity.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    It's not a case of should we have it or not! It's a huge help when your living on benefits especially for some people who have to make the decision do I put the heating on or miss a meal! I know like some other members didn't expect to get it as we have partners who work, but even then some of our partners who work have not been able to get into work due to this weather meaning they don't get paid so the payment will cover bills for over then. So the reply that was last written I feel was a bit below the belt!!
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    "So the reply that was last written I feel was a bit below the belt"

Why, Bubbadog? I don't understand. I was replying to Elaine, who stated that she didn't feel she should have it. In that case, she should give it to a good cause. You clearly NEED it, as do many others; in which case most definitely keep it and use it.

I was in no way intending to make anyone feel guilty for receiving this payment, far from it. But for those who feel they don't want or need a benefit payment, there are plenty of good things that can be done with it. Why is that a problem?
  • bubbadog
    Options
    When I read the whole post and come to the end and read what you had wrote which you never made clear was to elaine it felt like a smack in the face. If you had made clear it wasn't ment literally or to offend people then it would have gone over my head! But thank you for replying and making it clear.
  • Helenbothknees
    Options
    Really sorry about that, Bubbadog. People on here have enough problems without me delivering slaps to faces! Note to self: do not post in a hurry, and make sure things can't be misunderstood.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Look Bubba and Helenbothknees

I knew it was in answer to me and I read it...I didn't answer it cos I was flicking through different other sites but knew what Helen meant as some wealthier people have stated they would donate un-needed monies...That is the likes of Cameron and his mob that would be in that category...
    However I could see how this post may be taken wrong way too....So sorry it's caused problems...

Elainexx