Being an arthritis patient gave me power

Options
LignumVitae
LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
edited 20. Dec 2012, 04:16 in Community Chit-chat archive
I met my obstetrician on Monday. He was a funny little man and after he'd scanned me, not introduced himself, failed to wash his hands or clean the hand held bit of the ultra sound after the last patient, I wasn't too impressed with my care. He also spoke more to Mr LV than I and generally treated me with less dignity than my vet treats my dogs (admittedly, he didn't stick a thermometer up my bum like the vet does with the dogs but I didn't get the apologetic treat they get either). By the time I was stood in line to book for my next appointment, I had decided, based on all my time as an arthritis patient, all the meetings with medics I had attended, that this relationship was not going to work and there was no way this man was getting as close up and personal as he'd need to in order to deliver my babies. He simply couldn't communicate. I was so incensed at his treatment (we had to have a midwife explain to us in a crowded waiting room what the consultant had just decided and done).

I went home and wrote a list of things that hadn't pleased me and yesterday called PALS and requested help in changing consultants adamant that if it was an issue I would swap to a different hospital if I had to. The lady couldn't have been more lovely, understanding and helpful and within two hours had sorted it so us three are now under the care of the consultant who heads the labour ward. I'm not sure, had I not spent so much time dealing with rheumatologists both good and bad I would have had the guts or the knowledge to make the change. So my arthritis helped me out there and probably helped my babies too! I googled the doctor who I was not happy with and he has been disciplined in a different country, nearly stuck off and retrained, for his dreadful manner with patients...to think that was the new improved effort!

The midwife did explain that Squeak was trailing Bubble size wise but not to any extreme, that they were both growing and healthy and their organs working so its good news so far. They are also lying facing each other which seems lovely to me. I spend much of my nights lying awake feeling their dancing and last night, for the first time Mr LV, initially grumpy at being woken at 3am, felt them too! It's full steam ahead with me and my 43 inch waist (now officially the largest in the family :D
Hey little fighter, things will get brighter

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi LV, I'm glad your arthritis has been of some use. Well done you for standing up for yourself, and your little ones.
    I'm really pleased Bubble and Squeak are doing well.
    There is nothing as lovely and satisfying as feeling your baby/babies moving around :D
    Take care of you,
    Numpty
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Lignumvitae

I am so pleased that you have got the best of care for your wee ones.

Experience can come in handy can't it :wink:

They sound to be doing really well and I am so glad that they clearly already love each other :D

I can soooo imagine NEXT Christmas!!

t07131.gif
    May I ask though, if it's not too rude, who on earth had the second biggest belly in your family :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    He sounds to be a real nightmare, LV, and well done for taking action. It wouldn't have been the best start for Bubble & Squeak. Good to know arthritis is good for some things :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • phoenixoxo
    phoenixoxo Member Posts: 625
    Options
    Brilliant, L.V. :)

Must admit, I tend to get a bit feisty myself in similar situations! Far too many consultants seem to think it's acceptable to demonstrate no communication skills whatsoever. To my mind that's sheer unprofessionalism and it shouldn't go unchecked. And well done for making good use of PALS; I'm sure Bubble and Squeak are cheering you on through all this :)

Best wishes,
    Phoebe
    PsA (psoriatic arthritis) and other things since 1990. Happy to help when I can :-)
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    He was a nightmare, at the end of the scan I said it was good to hear they were both ok, he replied that they might not be ok tomorrow. I think it was a strange attempt at humour but I was quite astounded. I'm not one to get neurotic but I can imagine plenty of people, given that response may do! I'm not sure how professional that kind of line is either.

Mr LV has a 38 inch waist but he's a strapping 6 foot something and would look daft with less...I suspect if my old grandpa was still alive I'd still be trailing in second place on the waistline competition!

I'm enjoying feeling the twinkles over except when somebody tap dances on my bladder which isn't the nicest feeling and makes me feel like I need a wee even if I've just had one :o !
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Good for you LV..we all deserve the best of treatment and good manners is all part of the package..I am so pleased that you got on to pals...now you relax and hopefully the next appointment will be a good one.
    What an awful man he is...and you have done your part in reporting this and hopefully he will soon be on his bike...trouble is someone else will cop for him.
    Love to you and Bubble and Squeak xxx
    Love
    Barbara