Who needs knees?

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 23. Dec 2012, 04:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Or, come to that, ankles, feet, hips, lower backs, shoulders, and fingers? Yup, I’ve been pushing the boundaries for two days running in an effort to get a bit of a breather on Friday and Saturday before the real work begins – sister arriving Sunday for a week, son and family Christmas Day for three days then Mr SW’s beloved New Year’s Eve party.

I’ve just done my leg exercises knowing that, if I didn’t, my ancient TKR might never straighten again. It’s been sagging more and more all day. Mr SW has taken to crying ‘The bells! The bells!’ whenever we pass. I’m on a break now, with a ½ pot of tea, two cocos and you lot. Be gentle with me. I do bite and I’m feeling in the mood for it. You have been warned :mrgreen::wink:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Make sure you get a proper breather Sticky and I hope that your guests will lend a hand here and there during their stay. As for 'im indoors I presume he thinks he's being amusing? :roll: I hope the exercises help matters and that your ancient TKR holds out. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,942
    Options
    Hello Sticky
    you have treated your knee's the best you could have done
    or they would not have lasted so long.
    mine are 10 years old.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    If you are in the biting mood feel free to have a go at Mr mig ,check out chit chat "I'll swing for him". Take care sticky pace yourself. Mig
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options

It sounds like youve been flat out getting yourself and your home ready for crimbo and new year...Its hard work having visitors isnt it? We just had my sis, husband and son at weekend and we are just washing all the bedding from that as me folks had to sleep on an airbed and when I was just out of hopsital people came to stay then too so the bedding laundry has been on a good old merrygoround!!
    Can I just ask about the knee exercises...Do you do them every day as much as you can...My dad who had his TKR 4 years ago says you dont need to keep doing the exercises with ice pack twice a day (which is what i do) but I think if you can still do them its better to keep the muscles going...

Elainexx
    Or, come to that, ankles, feet, hips, lower backs, shoulders, and fingers? Yup, I’ve been pushing the boundaries for two days running in an effort to get a bit of a breather on Friday and Saturday before the real work begins – sister arriving Sunday for a week, son and family Christmas Day for three days then Mr SW’s beloved New Year’s Eve party.

I’ve just done my leg exercises knowing that, if I didn’t, my ancient TKR might never straighten again. It’s been sagging more and more all day. Mr SW has taken to crying ‘The bells! The bells!’ whenever we pass. I’m on a break now, with a ½ pot of tea, two cocos and you lot. Be gentle with me. I do bite and I’m feeling in the mood for it. You have been warned :mrgreen::wink:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SW make that tea break a nice long one...and when the visitors arrive I'm sure they wont mind helping out...it been a few years now since we had our New years eve party at home....so any invites will be greatly appreciated....and I will bring my own party poppers...now you keep up the resting in between x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Mig, please don’t be offended if I pass, as regards the opportunity to sink my teeth into Mr Mig. He sounds suspiciously similar to a bloke not a million miles away from me. I’ll bite him instead.

Barbara - you are welcome any time. You don't need to wait for a party or for an invitation, especially if you bring a bottle :wink:

Elaine, I’d hesitate to advise you on knees as I know you have osteochondritis dissecans whereas mine is essentially RA which has led to OA. This means that I need to do my exercises every day – not just the leg ones but all the other bits too – in order to maintain the range of movement.

Pre and post-op, I had to do ten repetitions of each ‘quad’ exercise 4-6 times daily. I’ve never had to use ice for long post-op (My swelling went down fairly quickly) but I kept up the 4 times daily for about 6-8 weeks before gradually getting back to my usual maintenance regime.

I don’t know what is advised for your condition. I’d guess that anyone who can get back to ‘normal’ walking, stairs, maybe swimming or cycling, wouldn’t need to keep the quad exercises up indefinitely as they’d be using all their leg muscles anyway. As my ankles are locked and feet are a total mess, I can’t walk far enough to give my TKRs and THRs a good workout so I have to do it artificially. My rule of thumb is always ‘If in doubt, ask a physio’ even if it means arranging a private session. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Stickywicket, I'm so sorry, I completely missed this. :roll:
    It sounds as though you are going to be extremely busy!
    Try not to over do things, you need to enjoy Christmas too.
    Keep the joints lubricated, I always find red wine works very well. :wink:
    Enjoy your KNEES up
    Numpty
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Who needs knees? The superwoman organising Christmas for everybody else, that's who! I hope the knees and other joints are feeling ok. I think you deserve to swap that half pot of tea for half a bottle of wine, or to be festive, half a bottle of brandy. I hope the knees and other joints are behaving and getting on with their own Christmas party. Take care of yourself. LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    SW

No dont worry....And anyway do i still have osteochondritis dissecans as I have a new knee, was thinking to myself on that one? It still is a form or arfur so im going to keep doing my exercises...I am back at my hydro pool but cant yet get knee moving too much and swim with three limbs...Could be lots worse...

Have lovely christmas and new year!

Elainexx
    Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Mig, please don’t be offended if I pass, as regards the opportunity to sink my teeth into Mr Mig. He sounds suspiciously similar to a bloke not a million miles away from me. I’ll bite him instead.

Barbara - you are welcome any time. You don't need to wait for a party or for an invitation, especially if you bring a bottle :wink:

Elaine, I’d hesitate to advise you on knees as I know you have osteochondritis dissecans whereas mine is essentially RA which has led to OA. This means that I need to do my exercises every day – not just the leg ones but all the other bits too – in order to maintain the range of movement.

Pre and post-op, I had to do ten repetitions of each ‘quad’ exercise 4-6 times daily. I’ve never had to use ice for long post-op (My swelling went down fairly quickly) but I kept up the 4 times daily for about 6-8 weeks before gradually getting back to my usual maintenance regime.

I don’t know what is advised for your condition. I’d guess that anyone who can get back to ‘normal’ walking, stairs, maybe swimming or cycling, wouldn’t need to keep the quad exercises up indefinitely as they’d be using all their leg muscles anyway. As my ankles are locked and feet are a total mess, I can’t walk far enough to give my TKRs and THRs a good workout so I have to do it artificially. My rule of thumb is always ‘If in doubt, ask a physio’ even if it means arranging a private session. Better safe than sorry. Good luck!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Numpty and LV you speak my language. I like the red wine - or white wine - lubrication and have occasionally been known to be well-oiled :)

Fortunately, all visitors are family and all will help as needed, some without being asked :D Downside is that all have healthy appetites and I have a small fridge, freezer and kitchen. I'm having a quiet, present-wrapping day today.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Sticky just seen this post been so busy trying to get organised for going to my sisters tomorrow, hope you have managed to slow down a bit and give those joints a rest or you will not be fit for crimbo, glad to see there will be people to "muck" in......... hope so...........yes will join you ladies in a nice glass of red...............tc...............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    a065.gif

careful - she might have spoken the truth :lol:

love