Ankle almost gave out

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 22. Dec 2012, 21:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

This is the time of year I hate, painwise, at work -- when one part of our company gets VERY busy and the other is ignored/shut down, I usually work on the other side which is usually calmer and less frantic. Oh and a lot less labour intensive!

Anyway, for the past two weeks I've been pitching in and doing my bit, and I must say putting most of my younger colleagues to shame -- and boy, my body ain't enjoying it! Generally after the first few minutes I manage to ignore the soreness and pain, many years of endurance sport help there.

My hands have definitely been arguing with me! My knees haven't been too bad, the occasional niggle. Whereas my feet have just been getting progressively sorer, especially the ankles and heels on both of them! My 30/500 cocos and ibuprofen are only just taking the edge off things, or at least that's how it feels, lol.

Now here comes the my request for advice. I have OA in all the above mentioned joints and yesterday, for the first time, as I was taking a step it felt like my right ankle/foot almost gave out much to my own worry and was witnessed by a couple colleagues. I didn't fall, but I did sort of stumble. Now I did not turn my ankle, it just didn't seem to want to take my weight momentarily and sorta freaked me out.

So has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so, what did you do about it? Is this something I should be worried about? And should I see my GP?

Hope you all have a very enjoyable Christmas.

Scozzie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear, this is alarming when it first happens, isn't it? You are obviously under some strain at work at the moment and therefore possibly over-using your joints at the moment but on the plus side you didn't actually tumble - lots of people experience this from time to time but, for us who have OA, it is more concerning.

I wonder if wearing an ankle support whilst at work could help? You can buy them in your local chemist but they are not a long-term solution. It is worth mentioning to your doc the next time you see him so keep a record of this (especially if it happens again) and there may be some specific exercises for your ankles which could help to strengthen the joint. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    You have some excellent advice there from DD, scozzie. I can't add anything except my sympathy (It is scary) and a suggestion that the AC booklet on exercises does provide some ankle ones.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thank you for your replies DD and sticky I shall have to look into what can be done. I already wear orthotics and I'm overdue a return visit to the podiatrist ... due to other medical problems unrelated to my OA.

Scozzie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Orthotics - oooh that's a dirty word in my house at the moment! I've received my new insoles and, seriously, I'm standing on two concrete bolcks. :shock: I guess they'll help, eventually.

I think a support may be an option but it would be best to get some 'proper' advice on this, not just my say-so. Do you have to work this week-end? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi scozzie
    Sorry I cant help, but I can send you some hugs (((((()))) not much I know but at least you know I am thinking about you ,take care and hope you manage some rest in the holidays xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks DD and Barbara

Fortunately I'm off work until the 3rd of January! I know orthotics aren't the be all and end all but I feel they do some good ... I know they're not a cure but they do help me a little!

I'm not looking forward to the 3rd but hey I'll WILL feel will feel better than I did yesterday! I might be back to 8/500 cocos instead of 30/500s! by then! lol

Scozzie
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I get the ankle misbehaving every day, a sharp bolt of pain that means you can't do much with it? Often it feels numb afterwards until it happens again often in a sequence, always when you least expect it?

Mines made worse by wearing different shoes or overdoing it (walking too far or on uneven ground), it still happens, just not so bad. The podiatrist gave up on me.

I expect your gp will advise.