Diagnosed today

Options
Rainyo
Rainyo Member Posts: 2
edited 21. Dec 2012, 06:02 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm 34, female from Australia. I've just been diagnosed today with spinal arthritus- after years of what I thought was just back pain, and then the last three weeks pretty much flat on my back with horrible pain, I pushed to get some X-rays. I really have no idea what arthritus is ( no my doctor didnt really explain anything) what I am to expect, how to make it better, I'd appreciate any advice. I have two boys one is 12 and the other is 3.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Rainyo, it's nice to meet you but I am so very sorry you have had to find us. You say spinal arthritis - do you know if it is osteo or an auto-immune type? If it's osteo then there is not much to be done as such apart from pain relief, anti-inflammatory medication and exercise, for an auto type there are drug therapies which are designed to suppress the immune system thus reducing disease activity. I am 'lucky' in that I have a foot in both arthritis camps but no children, so I can't advise on that front at all. I have found over the years that I must not push myself too hard with activities, I need to rest frequently and I happily ask for help from others when I'm out and about.

It may be worth your googling The Spoon Theory and There's a Gorilla in my House - both give very good explanations of how difficult living with a form of arthritis can be (and it's worth family members reading them too). I wish you well and please keep in touch, we are good at offering support and encouragement although things are pretty quiet on here at the moment thatnks to Christmas. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben