Back and need some advise please

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 21. Dec 2012, 12:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone , Hope you are all ready for christmas and not in to much pain.

I havent been on the site for a while as i have been unwell. I started on the Methetrexate about 5 weeks ago and it is making me feel ill. From day one i have felt a little sick but as the time as gone on it has got worse . I am also having a lot of headaches . I hoped it would stop as i got used to it. At four weeks I have had the dose upped to 12.5 and need to up it again next week to 15 .
Now the sickness is even worse and my joints are not a lot better. I seem to be having a flare up to.
I rang the nurse and she says perhaps I would be better on the injection. My question is how have others gone on with the injection and how easy is it to do yourself . thanks for any help you can give . ...jillyxx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help, jilly, as I get on well with tablet meth. It must be difficult experiencing no pain relief, just added sickness. At least the jabs should help with that. I hope someone will be along soon who does the injections.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi jilly, I do my own meth injections and have no trouble with them, either with doing them or side effects. I don't have any trouble with needles and I appreciate the convenience of getting it over and done with (for some years I had to go to the hospital every week and that was a bind). Dong the injected version means that the digestive system is bypassed and you can also have a lower dose as the liquid is more potent. It may well be the answer for you and I would recommend trying it if you are given the opportunity. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jilly
    Sorry I cant offer any advise, but I do wish you well with meth, and hopefully the injections will be much better for you.
    Please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Thanks Stickeywicket , Barbara for your kind help .
    DD , I am not bothered about needles so i think it is going to be the best for me .I hadnt thought about it by passing my stomach that sounds a good idea because my stomach definately does'nt like it . She said she would have me in to learn me how to do it , so i wont need to keep going to them to have it done . Thanks for the advise
    hope you all have a lovely Christmas xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's very easy and straightforward as it's a subcutaneous jab, the needle isn't very long and it's done and dusted in under ten seconds. My hospital began allowing their patients to do their own jabs this time last year and it has saved me a great deal of time - I trot up there once a month to get my supply of stuff, they supply the meth, the needles and a sharps bin which I seal and return when it's full. If I can do it you can do it - good luck and please let us know how you get on with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben