Here we go again

Options
wall1409
wall1409 Member Posts: 294
edited 23. Dec 2012, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well folks just when I thought I had my dx of osteoarthritis of the spine from hospital physio, I have just received a letter from hospital wanting me to go for another different MRI to make sure whether there is inflammtion in the spine or not as apparently first MRI was inconclusive. First MRI apparently showed mild wear and tear of the spine only. All I can say is it doesnt feel like mild wear and tear as I am in pain on a daily basis with lower back and left hip, weird. I am also experiencing throat pain and heartburn a lot.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm all for thoroughness in x-rays, scans and diagnoses and, if they want to be sure, I'd say that's a good thing. I don't think pain experienced necessarily bears much relationship to damage done but the presence, or not, of inflammation might make a difference to the treatment.

Don't ignore heartburn, especially if you take anti-inflamms. You may need a stomach-protecting med.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    Options
    Thanks Sticky, I know rheumi suspected AS as first normal xray inflammation was visible but obviously in MRI it was inconclusive , looks like I'll get a correct DX in the New Year and maybe get this pain under control. I take omeprazole for esophageal spasms so think meds might be aggravating it, will have to see GP. I know rheumi said before he needs to know if this is mechanical oa or inflammatory AS as I do have a weak immune system but bloods were only abnormal twice , once when GP checked and when rheumi first took them. Must admit though, I have a good rheumi, they just delay in letting you know whats happening.

Wendy x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'd take a slow report over a quick, sloppy one anyday :) I hope the new MRI helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Wendy,
    Can't comment as I have OA and not RA but I can sympathise with the heartburn. Mine tends to be triggered by stress but then stays long after the cause of the stress has subsided. At the moment I am on omezprazole again - a two month course. My GP told me that I may have to stay on a maintenance dose permanently. Have you been tested for helicobacter pylori? I had this in February of this year which was treated with the three-drug regime - grim for a week but long term worth while.
    Good luck with the checks - hope they go well.
    Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • wall1409
    Options
    Yes Grace tested negative but consultant decided it was due to Vagus nerve damage as I lost 70% of my hearing in both ears very quickly also. I'm on permanant omeprazole and sometimes take gaviscon too, its been quite bad lately though and a lot of night and morning sweats which I find awkward. Thinks thats why rheuni believes this may be to do with my immune system amd GP agrees.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Wall
    I am glad they are sending you for more MRIs,at least they are being thorough, I do hope they have some answers for you very soon.
    Please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • wall1409
    Options
    Thanks Barbara xx