Enbrel losing it's patent

Options
loubiedoouk
loubiedoouk Member Posts: 22
edited 21. Dec 2012, 16:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Greetings everybody

I saw my Rheumatologist recently who told me that Enbrel will lose it's patent in a few years time and will be available cheaper and possible on prescription. I'm interested because I'm now classed as a non UK resident and in a couple of years will have to start paying for my medication.

Does anybody know about this or had any experience with drugs losing their patent previously?

Many thanks - and wishing you all a pain free Merry Christmas

Louise

Comments

• lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes, it means when it is out of patent then other drug companies are able to copy it and so will have competition for best prices. Prgabalin was out of patent just a few years ago and since then I have seen a huge increase in it being prescribed. Rather like a book or music copyright.
  • loubiedoouk
    loubiedoouk Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Great news - for me. Thanks
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    good news for all of us. I'm costing my health authority a small fortune at the moment. :lol:
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    It's a pity the people who discover these remedies (which sometime come from natural sources) didn't do the same thing as the man who discovered the active ingredient in aspirin ... and refuse to patent a natural product with great potential.

Scozzie
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I don't think there is much that is 'natural' in Enbrel Scozzie. I don't agree with the very high prices of some drugs but the drug companies spend millions on research. They wouldn't do it without financial recompense.