Who remembers

Options
Colin1
Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
edited 22. Dec 2012, 11:56 in Community Chit-chat archive
Who remembers please try to add to it.

Whip and Top, Saturday matinees, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers Hopalong cassidy, what about shazzam from marvel man. a penny to go on the tram, no electricity in the house it was gas light. Steering carts or bogeys as some of you call them. Getting the tin bath in from the yard for your Friday night or Saturday Bath. The Lamplighter, Black Jacks, Dan Dare i was terrified of that, Mrs Dales diary, Who remembers in the 50s when war of the worlds was on the radio and people believed it was happening, Billy Cotton WAKEY WAKEY, No Television, Family Favorites, bag a tell forerunner of the pinball machine, the rag man, the coal man, the jew man, the priest calling every Saturday night, Fasting for Sunday mass, The Whit walk and May possessions, Hop scotch, rounder’s in the street Kids skipping with a rope in the street “ Call in my Very best friend” “ the big ship sailed through the ally ally o the ally ally oh” Split the kipper, Kick the Can, Coal fires, Wet and ice on the inside of your windows , drawing the fire with a sheet of news paper, Bommy Night well they where real Bommys in those days. Penny fireworks. Stealing the other streets wood they had collected for thier bommy. The jigger and belly banding from the walls. The Debris we called it the oller where the houses in you street had been bombed, The Toilet down the Yard “ “Hell in the Winter” What about Welly’s stinging the back of your legs in the winter, wholes in your shoes National Dried milk for the babies, The bin in the whole in the backyard wall, Whitewash, When you went the chippy you could buy things like pigs trotters, Tripe , pigs ears What about Rabbit being the best meal of the week and picking quens from the beach boiling them and eating them with a pin. Nan Sand stoning the step Three pence to go to the pictures
WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This brought a tear to my eye a childhood long gone. Playing marbles in the road when here was probably only two cars aday ,what time is it Mr wolf. mig
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Flash Gordon and the Clay men.Andy Pandy,
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry Colin I was born in mid fifities a wee bit young to remember xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Torchy the battery boy and Twizzle . Jillyb
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I'm also a bit too young but what about Hollands toffee "Best on Earth"?

Shula
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    By the time I got brought up it was 9d(pennies) for Saturday morning cinema, 6d for a cheap seat and 3d for 12 blackjacks or 2d for 8 and a 1d go on what the butler saw on the way home! Thats inflation for you!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    going to the open air swimming baths and breaking the ice yes in summer. new frock for easter, cracker jack pop corn. space hoppers roller skates that went over your shoes. telly in black and white and only so many hours a day val(i was born in 60s)
    val