crutches

gezzas
gezzas Member Posts: 18
Hello I am looking for some advice my physio seems to think that I would be better off walking with two crutches instead of one walking stick my problem and fear is that after both shoulder replacements not gone well still lack movement and loads of pain I think crutches would make them worse I also have a lack of strength in arms due to shoulders does any no if crutches will hello or hinder me long term thank you

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Gezzas, I've been on two crutches for ten years now and I was lucky in that I was taught how to use them. They do balance the strain across the body but I don't have the shoulder trouble that bothers you. When you next see your physio ask if you could try a pair under their guidance rather than going 'solo' with them. I use mine alternately, left leg forward with right crutch and vice versa, I find this easier than moving both forward and then stepping. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gezzas
    Thanks for your reply do you use crutches to support your body on your arms or are they a confidence thing to help you move around and take away the fear of falling over will speak to physio early in new year band hope to try and see how I get on with them it seems another stage of arthritis I have to come to terms with things seem to be getting worse daily so have a lot to take in and accept thanks again
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I use them for balance and support but I don't grip them tightly or lean on them. I have ones with shaped handles - the tubular grips on the NHS ones are very uncomfortable for sore hands. I can't use them at the moment thanks to double carpal tunnel surgery, I am wobbling about using two walking sticks and I feel very unsafe with them; elbow crutches offer far more support and give me more confidence. DD

PS I forgot to say that I'm not a Helpline person, just a forum member.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gezzas
    Thank you for reply it has been very helpful it sounds like you use as I would be using them for balance and fear of falling I have looked at the hand shaped ones and thought they might be the best for me it is never easy when physio suggest something RA never does easy for me change is hard i hope you are soon able to get back on your crutches and get around easier thanks again
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Gezzas,

Thanks for your post to Helplines. Though I can appreciate your concern over using crutches and how your shoulders may be if you do try them, we would not be allowed to offer advice - as we are not qualified to do so. As Dreamdaisy has kindly mentioned her own experiences that probably illustrates what the forums can do - you can hear from lots of different experiences and individual perspectives. And the living with arthritis forum might be a good place to post on this.

I wonder whether you might find talking with other people who are medically qualified helpful too?

I hope that's helpful

Guy
  • crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156
    Hello.

I recently had a period on crutches thanks to a fractured leg. Having had previous shoulder surgery I was also concerned about the effects of weight-bearing on my shoulders as well as my arthritic hands and wrists. Fortunately I discovered (online) crutches that took most weight on forearms and were brilliant. I'm sure your Physio will advise you of the best type for you, if you make your other problems clear.

All the best.