blue badge app

Options
LesBrown
LesBrown Member Posts: 37
edited 5. Jan 2013, 08:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Guys,hope your all well,

I've just recieved a letter about my blue badge application,they want me to have a mobility assessment.this is a good thing?

not sure what to expect,I was going to ask if anyone has done one but I supose thats a silly question :roll:

any advice is appreciated

Les

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've no idea about this as I've never had to have one but this assessment seems a little daft to me as people without mobility troubles can qualify. Hey-ho, the wonders of beaurocracy! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Hi there...

Luckily mine was granted instantly....
    I applied on-line and this was followed up with a phone call from them asking me a couple of questions and voila send a £10 cheque and blue badge arrived...

I must be lucky.... (NOT that having arthritis is lucky - lol)

However, I would advise that when questioned you are honest, BUT, give answers that reflect your bad days..

DO you have the backing of your GP....?
    Because stating that fact always helps your application....

I have grade 4 arthritis in both knees and walk with a stick all the time and can't manage distances, therefore this is the reason it was granted for me....

Saying that... I know people with knee replacements whom can manage to get around a golf course and shop ect... NONE of which I could possibly manage....

So "goodness" knows how they assess people..

GOOD LUCK with your application, let us know how it goes....
    hugs freesia xxx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Les

This is a new thing they havent always called for medicals...I guess they want to see you to ask you more questions...
    Just say it as it is, your illness is valid dont let anyone make you feel any less..

Good luck...

Elainexx
    LesBrown wrote:
    Hi Guys,hope your all well,

I've just recieved a letter about my blue badge application,they want me to have a mobility assessment.this is a good thing?

not sure what to expect,I was going to ask if anyone has done one but I supose thats a silly question :roll:

any advice is appreciated

Les
  • LesBrown
    Options
    they ask if I can take in any walking aids I use.I use crutches but only when I'm really bad and wouldn't drive then anyway,but surely they know what a crutch looks like and I don't need to take them.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Les

I would guess that they want to see you using the walking aid and they will observe your walking style (gait) when you walk into and out of the assessment room....There used to be different crutches but most are elbow ones now (I could be wrong and stand corrected if so)...There are different types of walking sticks after all and they do want to know if you purchased then yourself or if you were given them by a health professional....Take your crutches, maybe they will see if they look well used, who knows?
    Remember what was said about treat it as your bad day? I know you are an honest person but, well its up to you......You need this badge otherwise you wouldnt have applied would you? Why do they make you jump through hoops to get it?

Good luck....

Elainexx
    LesBrown wrote:
    they ask if I can take in any walking aids I use.I use crutches but only when I'm really bad and wouldn't drive then anyway,but surely they know what a crutch looks like and I don't need to take them.
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    They will take you for a walk and if you can walk without stopping for a rest more than 50 yards you will not get the badge.

I have done this and despite my complaints about the pain when I was walking I failed.

You should stop for a rest as soon as you feel it is justified and defo before the 50 yards.

Good luck.
  • LesBrown
    Options
    wouldn't it be ironic if I had to cancel the app because I can't even walk to the car but when I did manage to go I could walk the 50 yards :roll:

Merry christmas all
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Take the crutch Les whether its good or bad day or else they will think you dont need it much depsite mentioning it in the application form!! Take your time walking too and sit if you need to, huff n puff a bit too!!

Merry christmas!

Elainexx
    LesBrown wrote:
    wouldn't it be ironic if I had to cancel the app because I can't even walk to the car but when I did manage to go I could walk the 50 yards :roll:

Merry christmas all
  • craftydiva
    craftydiva Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It was my GP who suggested getting a Blue Badge so my application went through without any kind of assessment. Unless they have changed the criteria, I would have thought a phone call or letter to your GP would suffice.
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Where I live you are assessed by an OT. Its the coucil that give out the BB and they no longer take any notice of GP's.
    I would definately take your crutches. Go breezing in without them and no I would say your chances of getting a BB are zero.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    when you apply now, do they ask your gp for a letter?
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Lizzy

Cant answer your question as it tends to vary from area to area whether they ask for GP's letter now....Mine they didnt but others may well have...Good Luck

Elainexx
    lizzy100 wrote:
    when you apply now, do they ask your gp for a letter?