Guns

mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 30. Dec 2012, 16:07 in Community Chit-chat archive
Ye Gods you can't make it up, the NRA now wants guns in the schools now, what is there stopping the person with the school gun from not doing the same?, and why not cut to the chase and arm up the kids as well while they're at it just in case their teacher or security guard goes bonkers and starts shooting them, its totally bizare the US is one paranoid and very strange la la land that's for sure.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It isn't the gun that's dangerous per se, it's the organic blob wielding it and you can't legislate for that. Mind you, Switzerland has a very high percentage of gun ownership (nearly every household) and I cannot remember anything like the American massacres happening there. It's a cultural matter and the Americans are somewhat lacking on that front. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    They are gun crazy....I did think that this shooting would learn them a lesson.....I just wonder why they are allowed to own these automatic guns apparently this is what the boy had that went on the rampage....surely they cant be for defense...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    One bullet and you could lose your protection, so no protection even with a gun, poor argument!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    You made me laugh DD with the blob bit, Yes the Swiss have assault riffles as they have a standing militia, there have been shooting but nothing like the latest thing in the US, I think the problem with the US is the issue with the Jocks and the dudes, the athletic good looking kids group up and bully anything that isn’t like them there’s a lot of nasty stereotyping in main stream schools and you can see it on their TV, for example ugly Betty is a classic case of it, geeks always have braces and glasses and are portrayed as socially awkward it’s a common thread on US TV they abuse anything they see as a loser it’s a dog eat dog world in schools and the poor buggers who are slightly different get hounded, if you look at who does this kind of thing they are always the loner who tend to be as about as different as you can get from the norm, the resentment of all the years of bulling builds up and some pop they then shoot up the school as they associate it with all the abuse they have suffered and they have access to weapons, imagine what it would be like here if there were handguns all over the shop, the inner city gang stabbings would be shootings but there isn’t the access to firearms here so they use knives instead.
    You’d have thought the bubble gum cheerleader types would have understood that their actions have serious consequences but it obviously hasn’t happened.
  • lululu
    lululu Member Posts: 486
    My niece teaches in America, she used to pass the twin towers on her way to work. She then moved to another school when asked if she likes her new school her reply was 'I feel safer there because I think the kids do not carry guns to school'.......
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Whats to stop the security guards from shooting at the kids or the teacher, having a difficult time with the kids (it does happen), losing it and shooting at them.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    From an article in today's Independant:

In the nine days since 27 people - 20 of them young children - were killed at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut at least 500 are believed to have died in the US thanks to America's lax gun laws. Hardly surprising, given that there are almost 10,000 homicides (and 20,000 more suicides and accidents) every year because of a nation's zealous faith in the right to bear arms, and its absurd interpretation of how to apply today a constitutional amendment framed more than 200 years ago.

Americans. The majority are not that bright, are they? It's an adolescent country with adolescent attitudes. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    It isn't the gun that's dangerous per se, it's the organic blob wielding it and you can't legislate for that.
    Well Done DD taking away firearms solved nothing in this country its been 13 years since the ban and more people are being killed by guns today than where pre ban.
    I remember well Hungerford massacre of 1987 and the Dunblane school massacre of 1996 Mrc C and i cried for days i seen what a firearm can do and the thought of those poor children being murded well it was hard. I realise that the government of the time had to take some sort of action but the only people it effected was the law abiding shooting fraternity and sportsmen and women. I do believe there are more firearms in illegal hands today than any other time. Every time you turn the TV on someone has been shot. I dont have an answer to the problem but i do know that our legislation has done little to help.
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Well said DD, them idiots across the pond shouldn't be allowed near cutlery let alone rapid firing weapons.
    Personally, I don't think a change in laws there will do much. After all, shooting a load of people is against the law but it doesn't seem to stop the crackpots doing it.
    Yeah, I agree with Mell about the cheesey good looking jocks etc and the bullying but the dix that do the shootings like this must have deep rooted issues as well as the bullying thing.
    Americans are a very strange lot indeed. Yeah, I'm stereotyping, big deal, it's true innit? lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP