Nausea advice please

Options
Susiesoo
Susiesoo Member Posts: 358
edited 24. Dec 2012, 06:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I know nausea is often mentioned on here, but I wondered if anyone has any advice for me.

I have been on MTX for 16 months and after the first few months the nausea settled down. It has now started again and seems to be getting worse daily. I find fresh ginger slices in weak black tea helps for a while, but can anyone suggest anything else? Are there other ways to use ginger? I find the best way to ease it is to eat something and that is the last thing I want to keep doing.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

With many thanks, Susie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ginger is a known 'tummy settler' but other things work too: some swear by the various versions of mint (tea, a sweet, inhaling the scent of the oil) but I found that good old-fashioned sugary coca-cola worked for me (I used to take a weekly alendronic acid tablet and the ickiness that followed that was eased by a coke). How about a ginger infusion without the tea? Black tea is quite tough on the tummy so perhaps just the ginger may be better. It may be worth your chatting to your GP about anti-emetics and your rheumatologist about folic acid: how much of that do you take per week? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    When my stomach is bad any kind of tea makes it worse though, if it's not too bad, I can get away with the odd cup of redbush tea, which has no tannins. Camomile, though not 'tea' in my book, is OK. I, too, would take this one to the GP though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Hello DD and SW - thank you so much for your replies.

I take Alendronic weekly so maybe that is the culprit. I take one folic acid tablet a week, the day after MTX.

I'm not really a tea drinker and when I do have tea it is a very weak Lady Grey. When I add ginger it is really more of a ginger infusion. I find cola drinks too sweet, but I'll give it a try.

I appreciate your thoughts and I think a trip to the GP will be a good idea.

Again, thank you. Susie
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    I used to have to take anti-nausea tablets prescribed by my GP to counteract nausea from the painkillers I took; nothing else worked. So I second (or third) the advice to talk to your doctor.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Susie
    Helen has taken the words out of my mouth...I have had anti nausea meds..for another condition I had, so you see if your GP can help..if they are closed .. the chemist can be very good.
    I hope it settles down very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Susiesoo
    Options
    Thank you, Helen and Barbara, for your replies.

I think a trip to the GP is on the cards. There's always something!

Merry Christmas to you both.

Susie :)