Driving After TKR

elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Dec 2012, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Im now 8weeks post op of TKR...My progress is going along quite well although one thing Im not at all happy with is driving...
I havent felt my responses to be quick enough to be able to stop for an emergency stop in the car and had only taken it out of the driveway before this week...However I have a dad who keeps telling me "I was driving at 6weeks you know" and though its been cajoling its been half serious too....So this week went to Asda which is literally less than 5 mins away from my home...It was at a quiet time and I was slow but I did it...
Today I had swimming then hair app, mum had hair app too in between my apps...So I said Id drive to hydrotherapy pool and I dropped off a crimbo card too....Then later today I nipped again to Asda for few food bits. I can only say it feels yeuchy, it feels like im lifting the leg to change gears (its my clutch leg) and it feels heavy, laboured and dam uncomfortable.....I hate driving and im going a bit faster to get to where i need to be cos im uncomfortable....Ive also tonight had quite a few twinges, pains and the joint is grumbling a bit...Have taken paracetemol and ibuprofen which has helped a bit..
Does this feeling get any better? I used to love driving, now I hate it, I feel like a tortoise and I feel like im having to think extra hard before doing things...The car has also spent a fair amount of time in lower gears as cant be bothered to change it again...
I know im whingeing, feel free to tell me so.....Id apprecaite any feedback guys...

Ta muchly...

Elainexx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry, can't help, Elaine. I was only driving automatics. Don't remember a problem though. Maybe check with the physio?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elainebadknee
    Hi sticky

No its fine just wondered if fellow TKR's have any experience on this or its just me! Not in touch with physio but suppose could ask arthroplasty practitioner?

Elainexx
    Sorry, can't help, Elaine. I was only driving automatics. Don't remember a problem though. Maybe check with the physio?
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    It took me a good few weeks before I felt able to drive , think I drove at about 11 weeks and even then it was painful afterwards , just keep having short drives around where you know and you will soon get more confident , I love driving too and hated it at first , it felt very alien and wrong but it WILL get better :) xx
  • elainebadknee
    Pegleg

Thanks ever so much for replying to me and saying you found it painful too...Also I dont feel as bad for not feeling I could drive, think it was just because my dad was so good with his, not everyone is the same thank goodness!...Im relieved to know this will ease and get better, its the unknown thats a bit unnerving isnt it?

Elainexx

Have a very merry christmas and happy new yearxx
    pegleg wrote:
    It took me a good few weeks before I felt able to drive , think I drove at about 11 weeks and even then it was painful afterwards , just keep having short drives around where you know and you will soon get more confident , I love driving too and hated it at first , it felt very alien and wrong but it WILL get better :) xx
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Your very welcome :D , I remember thinking everybody is\has done better than me but everyone is different , thing is if you don't feel ready yet don't do it ,its more sensible to wait than just get in the car and drive because "everyone else" does ! , I'm 5 months in and still struggling , my leg refuses to go straight and I only have a 90 degree bend , my muscles and ligaments have to be stretched (ouch!) because they have shortened over the years so I get really down with it all , but I'm driving and back at work full time and prety much pain free so I'm happy with that :) . Hope you have a lovely Christmas too xxx
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Pegleg

You know youre spot on with your advice and eveyone is different in their own unique way...But we do judge ourselves (or maybe I do) by what others have done and try to be as good/match them....
    My leg when I saw arthroplasty person held it at the ankle and said it wasnt 100% straight so im still doing that exercise on the board where I try to push it to the ground, it never goes as flat as the other one however, maybe it never will...I last had 97% bend when it was last measured but I want more! Your stretching of the muscles and ligaments made me wince - is it as sore as it sounds? Pain is the aim to banish isnt it as much as can be possible.....And mine is pretty good, just new aches etc worry me...

Thanks again..

Elainexx
    pegleg wrote:
    Your very welcome :D , I remember thinking everybody is\has done better than me but everyone is different , thing is if you don't feel ready yet don't do it ,its more sensible to wait than just get in the car and drive because "everyone else" does ! , I'm 5 months in and still struggling , my leg refuses to go straight and I only have a 90 degree bend , my muscles and ligaments have to be stretched (ouch!) because they have shortened over the years so I get really down with it all , but I'm driving and back at work full time and prety much pain free so I'm happy with that :) . Hope you have a lovely Christmas too xxx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    I drove at six weeks with no problems. BUT, and it's a very big BUT, I was still taking codeine and paracetamol four times a day, and continued to for ages. I can't believe you're only on paracetamol and ibuprofen after eight weeks!!!!!! You lucky person. I was in pain for ages, and when I asked, I just got told it was because I'd had both knees done. Now, after nearly six months, I don't take any painkillers and live a normal life, but I still have twinges, pins and needles, aches, heavy feelings, etc etc etc, in both legs. I seem to remember being told I might have them for up to a year, if not 18 months. And my hydrotherapy teacher, who has two TKRs herself, checked with me for ages to make sure my knees weren't swelling up after exercise.

I think you're too hard on yourself...but we all did that; it's normal. As for your dad, don't listen. What on earth does it have to do with him anyway? It's your body and your new knee and your pain and your life - and you know what's best for you!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Elaine
    I cant really help , but one thing I can say is everyone is so different whatever surgery they have had,you just listen to your body xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Helen

Yes I do remember you driving at 6 weeks as you felt quite able to do so...I am struggling with it however and my journey to the hydro pool wasnt a long one, id say less than 2 miles...Even sat in the back seat of dad's volvo tonight after going to pick up mum from church it was uncomfortable and I wasnt sure how I was going to get out once home, I ended up having to lie almost flat on back seat and get driver's seat in front of me put forward to the max....
    Upon discharge I was on codeine phosphate, aphixiban (for anti clotting) and paracetemol/ibuprofen, that lasted for about 12 days and I have been to see my GP but it was more for a chat about my ESA form, no further medication was mentioned....My co-proxamols are still in the kitchen, Im hoping not to use them again...
    Im getting pains, aches and other sensations, thought it cos id driven but think it is just the healing process and Im going to have to keep telling myself that....The knee does feel sometimes when im moving like a prickly, slightly cutting sensation under my knee cap at bottom of scar, I dont know if thats normal...Maybe I need to get in contact with the arthroplasty practitioner?
    Youre right also I probably am hard on myself, trouble is now the surgery is over I dont have a need/reason to complain anymore do I...Im fixed arent I? My dad bless him has been brilliant but he does keep telling me to not limp and discard the crutch, trouble is ive walked so long beforehand the limp is a hard habit to break and I feel I need the crutch if im a bit stiff etc...I do live with me mum n dad and they've nursed me well despite them both being over 80...

Thanks ever so much for telling me about your driving, pain, meds etc..Appreciate it!

Elainexx

Have a very merry christmas :P
    I drove at six weeks with no problems. BUT, and it's a very big BUT, I was still taking codeine and paracetamol four times a day, and continued to for ages. I can't believe you're only on paracetamol and ibuprofen after eight weeks!!!!!! You lucky person. I was in pain for ages, and when I asked, I just got told it was because I'd had both knees done. Now, after nearly six months, I don't take any painkillers and live a normal life, but I still have twinges, pins and needles, aches, heavy feelings, etc etc etc, in both legs. I seem to remember being told I might have them for up to a year, if not 18 months. And my hydrotherapy teacher, who has two TKRs herself, checked with me for ages to make sure my knees weren't swelling up after exercise.

I think you're too hard on yourself...but we all did that; it's normal. As for your dad, don't listen. What on earth does it have to do with him anyway? It's your body and your new knee and your pain and your life - and you know what's best for you!
  • elainebadknee
    Hi Barbara

Youre right yes, thing is everyone wants to see the old Elaine back, including the DWP who will see me as fit for work...Give me time for goodness sake!

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Elaine
    I cant really help , but one thing I can say is everyone is so different whatever surgery they have had,you just listen to your body xx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Elaine, you are not going to be cured at 8 weeks. All I can say again is that I've had all sorts of different pains, and been told it's normal and I may have them for up to a year or more. If they're bad, ask your doctor for more codeine or something similar; he's not inside you to know what you need. I still had mine on repeat prescription from before the op, so I haven't even seen my GP; I just took what pain meds I felt I needed, and eventually stopped, but only after 4-5 months. You need to keep on taking the painkillers and keep on exercising so the muscles don't aprophy, but your knee will probably hurt for a while, and it might swell up too. Read back what we July/Aug TKRs went through if you don't remember, and I still recommend the book I got then; ask again for the link if you can't find it.

Take care of yourself and have a good Christmas!

Helen
  • elainebadknee
    Helen

Yes I will look back at the July/Aug TKR's and see what they said/refresh my mind....I know it will take a while for this to be cured but with the government sending me out an ESA50 they will see me as "fixed"...I will be but give me a flipping chance....
    Its all a huge learning curve, getting used to this new limb...I wondered other day do i still have OCD, even do i still have a kneecap or am i all metal?
    Thanks again...Have great christmas and happy new year!

Elainexx
    Elaine, you are not going to be cured at 8 weeks. All I can say again is that I've had all sorts of different pains, and been told it's normal and I may have them for up to a year or more. If they're bad, ask your doctor for more codeine or something similar; he's not inside you to know what you need. I still had mine on repeat prescription from before the op, so I haven't even seen my GP; I just took what pain meds I felt I needed, and eventually stopped, but only after 4-5 months. You need to keep on taking the painkillers and keep on exercising so the muscles don't aprophy, but your knee will probably hurt for a while, and it might swell up too. Read back what we July/Aug TKRs went through if you don't remember, and I still recommend the book I got then; ask again for the link if you can't find it.

Take care of yourself and have a good Christmas!

Helen