Which exercise is best for weight loss?

Options
L1985
L1985 Member Posts: 120
edited 25. Feb 2013, 14:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Firstly hope everyone has a lovely christmas!

I know this is a funny thing to ask BEFORE christmas as people usually lose weight after but really after some advice.

I seem to be stuck in a constant flare im on plaquinil and azathroiprine for my arthritis which the rhuemys think is due to connective tissue.

I havent seen much improvement since starting the meds in June...although there are some and I am aware it is still early days.

Anyway try to cut a long story short. Im really struggling with muscle pain and weakness. Im struggling to lift my arms over my head and my leg muscles feel like they wont take the weight of my body. It hurts tops of arms and legs. This really is concerning me but tests for anti-bodies attacking my muscles are neg...which is good but still frustrating as to what is causing it.

My thyroid levels have also gone funny gone underactive and I feel generally rubbish. To add to this I have put on 1 stone in weight which I know isnt alot in the whole scheme of things but its REALLY REALLY getting to me. I also know the thyroid levels wont be helping with the weight gain.

I tried going swimming once a week but I have two small children so its hard to fit it around them. Im just wondering what exercises people have tried? I bought a pilates DVD but after doing it once I felt like I had been hit by a train.

Im eating healthy so cant really make much changes there. It just worries me how much more weight ill gain....as if it isnt bad enough feeling rubbish I look in the mirror and feel even more rubbish.

Any tips would be great

Lulu xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Lulu

this is so so tricky :(

When you are in pain any exercise is hard. The swimming would have been the gentlest, but I can see why it's not easy for you with the kids.

Can you try walking a bit? I don't meen far or fast, but going for a walk (I have a treadmill in the garage. My Sister lost a total of 61/2 stone mainly by walking at least to start with and very very small changes in her diet such as stopping sugar in her tea.

Hopefully someone else will have better ideas, but I think you are very sensible to think of this before it becomes a real issue.

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I'm sorry things are so difficult, Lulu. I don't think we should really advise on weight loss as we're all on different meds with different bits of us affected. Why not ask your GP? Some practices seem to have deals with gyms etc. At least you'd get advice tailored to your needs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • L1985
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I was told to go swimming which is ok if I can get to go.

I walk too and from school each day and it leaves my muscles in agony. I really dont know what to try as its scaring me how quick the weight is coming on.

I dont overeat either typical day is ... x2 wheetabix, dinner tomato soup and then tea will be either fish or chicken with some new potatoes and veg....Sometimes will have chips but we are not a family that live off junk food and take aways etc.

I did mention it at last rhuemy appointment and they said steroids make you gain weight and now off them I will lose it but I havent its still coming on :roll:
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Options
    Hi - firstly you probably need some more effective drugs than just Plaquenil/ Hydroxy to get on top of your inflammatory arthritis. Have you tried Methotrexate yet because the combination of that with Plaquenil has worked wonders for me but it took a while.

I would say that losing weight when your diet is that healthy already should not be impossible if you can do some very gentle exercises like I do. I use a Nintendo Wii fit plus to exercise everyday and it has worked pretty well for me. It has the advantage that you can use it in the privacy of your home and the kids can benefit from it too? You can taylor it to fit your pain areas and gradually build up to do a little more each day. Some of the exercises are really silly and others, on the muscle programme or aerobics, can be more rigorous and you can add reps to many of those so start nice and easy and see how you go. I try and do 40 mins a day first thing once my sons have gone off to school.

People assume that because it's a game it can't work properly like going to the gym or the pool but I do neither of these things and yet I'm 100% fitter than I was this time a year ago when I started using the Wii. It costs a bit if you don't have one - but then you have to offset that against how much you pay to go to the gym and also it can benefit the whole family too with other games, iplayer etc. And it takes up hardly any space compared to a home gym! I've lost 5 stone in 18months and all I do is walk the dog, eat healthily with small portions and use the Wii fit plus. Mat x
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Lulu, I think it would be best to try to get your thyroid levels back to as normal as possible, first. Are you on thyroxine and between you and the gp or endo trying to find the right dosage for you? You can often feel absolute rubbish whilst this is being sorted out plus the arthritis symptoms. I belong to a HealthUnlocked Thyroid UK Support forum and so many people are struggling on there. I have taken thyroxine since I was 16 years old and I am now 62.

I hope you soon get this problem sorted and then you can begin to think about appropriate exercise, to help you.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Mat48
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid too and it definitely means that losing weight is more challenging but assuming your thyroid levels are okay on levothyroxine then it might still be a case of building up very slowly to let your body and muscles start to take care of the rest of you. I think for many with these autoimmune conditions it really is a case of use it or lose it. :roll:
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dare I say it, I have no weight issues since starting on levo.
    I have other health issues though! :roll: :wink:

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Lulu

Would you be able to/have access to a hydrotherapy pool at all? You dont need to swim there just to be able to move limbs in nice warm water making them weightless (well almost lol) might help...
    Just a thought...

Elainexx

Merry Christmas to youxx
    L1985 wrote:
    Hi everyone

Firstly hope everyone has a lovely christmas!

I know this is a funny thing to ask BEFORE christmas as people usually lose weight after but really after some advice.

I seem to be stuck in a constant flare im on plaquinil and azathroiprine for my arthritis which the rhuemys think is due to connective tissue.

I havent seen much improvement since starting the meds in June...although there are some and I am aware it is still early days.

Anyway try to cut a long story short. Im really struggling with muscle pain and weakness. Im struggling to lift my arms over my head and my leg muscles feel like they wont take the weight of my body. It hurts tops of arms and legs. This really is concerning me but tests for anti-bodies attacking my muscles are neg...which is good but still frustrating as to what is causing it.

My thyroid levels have also gone funny gone underactive and I feel generally rubbish. To add to this I have put on 1 stone in weight which I know isnt alot in the whole scheme of things but its REALLY REALLY getting to me. I also know the thyroid levels wont be helping with the weight gain.

I tried going swimming once a week but I have two small children so its hard to fit it around them. Im just wondering what exercises people have tried? I bought a pilates DVD but after doing it once I felt like I had been hit by a train.

Im eating healthy so cant really make much changes there. It just worries me how much more weight ill gain....as if it isnt bad enough feeling rubbish I look in the mirror and feel even more rubbish.

Any tips would be great

Lulu xxx
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Personally, I've never found that exercise helps much with weight loss. I find that to lose weight I just have to eat healthily, but also eat LESS. Eating healthily alone isn't enough, as I can still eat too much to lose weight. Also, lots of things considered healthy, eg cheese, nuts, seeds, are very high in calories and can completely sabotage weight loss. For me, it has to be a low calorie, low fat diet made up primarily of healthy foods...but I emphasise the calorie counting! And I've spent a lifetime struggling with my weight, and only winning within the last few years by eating very little, all the time. It's an utter bore, but it works. Sorry!!!!! :cry::cry::cry:
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    Options
    swimming gp advised me
  • Mat48
    Options
    Well I've lost 5 stone, as already mentioned, without calorie counting and getting plenty of fresh air and exercise. However when I lost weight ten years ago using Scottish Slimmers and calorie counting I just put it all back on slowly but surely over the following few years.

This stays off because I know that my joints need support of strong muscles to protect them and also because, since cutting out refined sugar, wheat and saturated fat I can keep it off and feel much, much better. I get my calcium out of nuts, seeds and lots of fresh fruit and veg, some cheese and some meat and fish. Calorie counting for me is always going to lead to seesaw weight loss/gain because ultimately its unsustainable.

But at the end of the day its got to come from you and if you have things you can give up in favour of others, which may still be high in calorie but are nutritious, and you keep the exercise levels up as much as possible then it will come off slowly but sustainably, and in a way that helps arthritis but doesn't make you feel so miserable as the calorie counting punishments do! Seems to me that arther puts enough problems and suffering in our way - there has to be some let up?!
  • L1985
    Options
    hi thanks for the extra replies and tips.

mat - well done with the weight loss that's impressive!

I had a total thyroidectomy 14 months ago and naively thought that would b the end to my thyroid trouble. I have had symptoms of under active thyroid since they added the azathioprine drug to my treatment. doctors keep telling me this doesn't effect thyroid function and my gp didn't want to check my thyroid but gave in after my persistance. my t4 levels are normal 19.2 but tsh is high at 6.9 gp told me this is only slightly under active but. have been having so many symptoms that again had to bully her into upping my dose for 6 weeks to see what levels are like then. I have already decided if my levels are still wonky at end of Jan then I want referring back to endocrine team. I have had a good 12 months of feeling great thyroid wise but now I'm back with hair falling out, weight gain, feeling cold, peroiss stopped ....all the usual.

I had a look online at exercise things and saw a air walker which is like a cross trainer but your legs just move forwards and back. think I'll save up and give one a go. xxx
  • ang12
    ang12 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi Lulu I got some advice off a friend who had a hip replacement they said try Tai chi I used to do alot of running but had to give it up and although the Tai chi is gentle it has helped.I got the DVD and do it before I go to work on a morning.Only 20minutes but I really enjoy it.I hope this helps you it did me.
    Take care and Merry Christmas to you and your family. :-) x
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Everyone always recommends swimming - whilst it is no doubt a really good form of exercise, when you are overweight and in pain, and suffering with reduced mobility, swimming is a really difficult activity. The swimming not too bad, the struggle to get yourself to the pool and into the water, and then to get dried and dressed again afterwards a bit of a problem.

Cycling is a brilliant exercise, it is non-weight bearing and aerobic. If your knee mobility is reduced, you can get a static bike and raise the saddle, position it so you can stare out into the garden and put up a bird feeder, or set it in front of the TV!
  • Mat48
    Options
    Yes I agree about swimming - my choice is the Nintendo Wii fit for same reasons re easy in privacy of home. Cycling would be great but I live on a steep hill so just getting a bike ready and out and off would be too sore. Mat x
  • Mat48
    Options
    Zumba is great for weight loss if your body permits - its less hard on the knee and hip joints than running and I do it 20 mins each day now on the Nintendo Wii. I've found it helps with residual stiffness if I do it regularly and doing it on carpet at home is less harsh on joints too.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    If you go to a proper hydrotherapy pool they have facilities to get you in the pool whether that be a hoist or if you are even paralysed as at my pool a lad who had spinal injury in rugby accident is laid flat on trolley and it is lowered into the pool..All the rest of us with milder complaints can get in with large plastic but less steeper steps with both sides covered so can pull ourselves up...

Elainexx
    chookgate wrote:
    Everyone always recommends swimming - whilst it is no doubt a really good form of exercise, when you are overweight and in pain, and suffering with reduced mobility, swimming is a really difficult activity. The swimming not too bad, the struggle to get yourself to the pool and into the water, and then to get dried and dressed again afterwards a bit of a problem.

Cycling is a brilliant exercise, it is non-weight bearing and aerobic. If your knee mobility is reduced, you can get a static bike and raise the saddle, position it so you can stare out into the garden and put up a bird feeder, or set it in front of the TV!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Mat

Im sorry but i could never imagine doing zumba new knee or no new knee...Its way too fast for me and would put too much pressure on all my joints...Don;t know how you manage it but if it works!!

Elainexx
    Mat48 wrote:
    Zumba is great for weight loss if your body permits - its less hard on the knee and hip joints than running and I do it 20 mins each day now on the Nintendo Wii. I've found it helps with residual stiffness if I do it regularly and doing it on carpet at home is less harsh on joints too.
  • Mat48
    Options
    I can't believe I do it either but I think for me RA is more systemic than mechanical so I've been able to push myself harder physically than most people with arthritis I guess. It is very fast and I struggle to keep up but I'm only doing it in my living room carpet at home and only for 20 minutes a day. And I was comparing it with running which I think is far harder on the joints - especially when doing it on roads etc. I know people who have actually developed OA of the hips and knees from jogging.
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Options
    I go to Curves, a women only gym with a difference.

I have OA in my lumber spine and knees and I can manage this.

You work against your bodies own resistance, there are no weights involved.

Its 30 seconds on a piece of equipment then 30 seconds on a board jogging on spot or whatever you can manage, if you need to you can take a break and the instructors make your own workout depending on health problems, there is one piece of equipment that I cant use......it is working for me.

With healthy eating and going to gym 3 times a week I have lost a stone and half in 5 weeks....

Gill x
  • racergirl
    racergirl Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Not sure about whether i'm losing weight yet, but I do Yoga now. I've got a good teacher who understands that I can't do some of the poses properly (OA in both ankles) but it keeps all the other joints moving and certainly helps keep my hips & shoulders moving (they tend to get stiff from limping and using a stick).
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Chair Zumba looks like fun.

Looks like it is popular too with a packed room and some people sharing a chair! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgW6CCb3Wk

Elna x