The bad and the good!

Options
frogmella
frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
edited 23. Dec 2012, 17:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all!

Well I made it through the entire term without taking any time off! I know I am very part time so maybe that isn't such a big achievement but it felt very massive to me! The last half term has been tough and got tougher by this last week. I think it was my own fault because I tried to do a lot at the end of the previous week to "get ahead" and ended up in a lot of pain. Stupid, try to pace myself and still get it wrong! :roll:

My last day was Thursday and I was so relieved - until I woke at midnight with the bloomin' norovirus! I have never been so sick. I am always ill on my own time! So now we are delaying Xmas as the MIL was due tomorrow but there is no way I will be up to it neither will we have been able to disinfect the house so that she doesn't catch it too!

But my hubby has managed to secure a job to start in the new year! :D He is a contractor and has been between contracts since March so this is a massive relief to us. He found out on Friday so i couldn't join him in a glass of fizz but I am sure we will make up for it over the festive period!

This does relieve some of my stress but, of course, I have been used to having him around to do stuff like shop and housework etc. I have a feeling that him going to work will be the push I need to bite the bullet and allow my new surgeon to do the next fusion. I am a bit worried about how I will cope with work and domestic duties. I can see me getting a cleaner in.

The enforced rest has meant my back is feeling better at the moment - but I would't advise it as a treatment! I couldn't take my gabapentin on Friday morning and boy did I notice my leg pain! Just goes to show that it really does work so maybe the mushy head side effects are worth it after all!

Another positive is that I reckon I must have lost some weight!

So all in all things are a little brighter, or I am sure they will be once I can keep food inside me!

I am still going back and forth with the fusion decision. Having nightmares etc etc. I hope that this holiday will give me a good chance to think it over properly.

Anyway, hope you are not suffering the norovirus and that your pain is under control.

Helen

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We all know that we should pace ourselves and we all get it spectacularly wrong at times :oops: I'm sorry about the sickness but good news about your husband's job. I hope you can eventually settle down to a good Christmas.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Good news on the hubby getting a job. :D Its nice to have something to celebrate. Also congratulations on making it through the term, I know how worried you were. Have your colleagues been supportive?

Shame you caught the noro virus, its more prevalent this year apparently. Take it easy and enjoy your break. The more you mull over your fusion, the more certain you will be of your decision.

(((hugs)))
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    It is amazing how hard pacing is! I thought I was doing the right thing because I knew that I had a busy week at school this week just gone and that then we would hit the christmas prep full on! Well, I learned didn't i?!

My colleagues have been the same as ever. The last but one week of term the head of science asked how I was and so I told him. He was surprised! I think that cos I keep going in, don't moan and just get on with it they assume that I am ok. I must be really good at not looking like I am in pain/tired etc! He asked if I was taking painkillers and I laughed and said that I was taking 20 tabs a day and he nearly died. Then he asked about side effects (the first time that anyone in the dept has asked in the whole term) and so I told him that too! TBH I don't really care about them so why would they care about me? I have learnt who my friends are and they aren't at work! Oh the lab tech has been a complete nightmare too. She has been rude, interupted lessons, interfered, undermined me etc. No idea what her problem is. But she doesn't just tick me off there are a few in the dept feel the same so at least not personal!!

I am feeling quite a bit better now and even feel a bit hungry! Bit scared to eat though after trying last night with disasterous results!!

Looking forward to feeling well enough to enjoy some noce food and wine soon.

Cheers!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Helen
    I am sorry you caught this rotten virus..my eldest GD has it at the min..so we are wondering who will be next..
    Good for you delaying things ...and Im so pleased that hubby has got a contract for the new year...you relax and enjoy your Christmas what ever day its on....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you are feeling brighter now ,congrats to oh for getting the job.Mig