Tonic water and Hydroxichloraquine - sickness?

Options
Mat48
Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
edited 23. Dec 2012, 10:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - I wonder if anyone on here has been really sick (vomiting) after drinking tonic water while on Hydroxichloraquine? I've had these one off episodes now three times in a few months and was trying to get to the bottom of it. Each time I think I must have food poisoning or a tummy bug but it's always just one single episode of being extremely sick - and the nausea before hand lasts for a few hours. The only thing I could think of that coincides is the fact that I've been satisfying my craving for gin and tonic (I'm also on Methotrexate and each time I drink even a drop my liver elevates) by drinking slimline tonic water with a dash of lemon and ice. It works well and is my main social drink but I'm wondering if it's clashing with the Hydroxy - what with quinine being in both? :o :?: Mat
If you get lemons, make lemonade

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I’ve not heard of this being a problem, Mat. It might simply be the hydroxy. Even the dash of (acidic) lemon sounds a possibility.

In the many years when I was on only anti-inflamms before stomach protectors, I got very similar episodes. I kept having to change anti-inflamms and all would be well for a while then it’d start up again.

I’d check it out with the doc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks SW I think you are right. I asked elsewhere earlier and had a response from a pharmacist saying it was probably because I mixed the tonic with fruit juice and swallowed the Hydroxy down with that - not for the first time either. I usually have it as instructed, with food at lunch time but recently I've been forgetting to take it so end up shoving it down at night with whatever comes to hand. Also I had a desert afterwards of plain yoghurt and pineapple so the acid content in all this was high. Silly me!

Interestingly one time last summer I was very sick after a hotel breakfast with tinned grapefruit - which I used to eat a lot when younger. I realised that it was the morning after taking my methotrexate and sure this was connected although I've not read anywhere that MTX clashes with grapefruit?

I think a lot of these drugs we take are cumulative in the way toxicity works and with the Hydroxy I tend to forget it's still quite a serious drug. I can't take anti-inflammatories any more because of prolonged use last year - they make me swell and my stomach gets terribly sore so very occasional use only even with stomach protectors. Mat xx
    If you get lemons, make lemonade