Good Idea Or Not

shandy4greenday
shandy4greenday Member Posts: 344
edited 29. Dec 2012, 17:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I decided that I wanted to test to see if Naproxen was helping with my Arthritis or not as I was unsure because like us all I get good and bad days and I didn't want to be taking something that was not even making any difference,therefore since yesterday I decided to stop taking my tablets for just a few days so when I have my hospital appointment in January at least I will be able to tell them if they are helping or not.I have had really bad back today and slightly yesterday maybe due to the christmas rush but I am not known to get a bad back rarely,Do you think this is a bad idea and I should go back on them despite knowing if they help or not,maybe I just feel nothing helping at the moment.

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,
    I cant really answer this from a medical point of view {as you know} but I'm on them 2 a day slow release. Every now and again I decide to go without one of them.....I've got to admit I'm a bit sorer.
    I'm going back onto the regular dose until the New Year.....too much hassle going on at the minute. I dont need less tablets. :roll:
    Have a Happy Christmas
    Love
    Hileena
  • shandy4greenday
    Thankyou I think I have noticed maybe that I am a bit more painful and think it is probably best to start taking them again in the morning at least till we see what the doc has to say in January at the hospital Thankyou x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Shandy

I have tried a few times to do without taking my couple of daily anti inflams but very soon, really notice a difference without them so gladly return to them.

If one is curious to find out, the only way is to have a little break from them, if this is an ok thing to do ie it is not dangerous to suddenly stop taking the drug or you should lower the dosage gradually rather than just stop.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think I'm right in saying that anti-inflammatories are not the sort of tablets one can take for a few days then stop, then re-start. Your GP must have prescribed these in response to your situation (do you have a stomach protector too?) and the rheumatologist will take them into account when he sees you in January. I know it's tempting to 'play' with our meds from time to time but this is something you should talk over with your GP as I think you a relatively new to all of this. I am now on diclofenac and I know that if I miss a day (due to my forgetting) I can feel the difference: it isn't the whole answer but it does relieve some discomfort. I hope that your back feels better soon - mine aches every now and again due to my walking awkwardly and it's a miserable pain, isn't it? Take care and I hope you have a lovely Christmas. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    I think that most of us go through the is it/isn't it working phase, I know I did with my meds and stoped them because I didn't think they were doing anything but blimey did I know I'd not taken them, the pain was back with a vengence. Will never do it again :o .

Dee x
  • shandy4greenday
    I re-started taking my tablets again Sunday morning and my back has been ok since and some of the aches and pains did seem a bit easier.I did take the advise of best to keep taking my meds and like It was pointed out the GP must feel they are needed.I am new to this and still trying to adjust with taking tablets and having health problems when I have always been fit and healthy and never rarely needed to visit my GP.I will wait for my hospital appointment and see how that goes.I have now realized how important it is to keep taking my meds,I do have Lansoprazole to for my stomach as after the first week of taking Naproxen I was getting stomach upsets but have since had no problems.I have missed the odd one by accident and been ok with Naproxen but I try to not forget but as long as I take my Naproxen. I think I will eventually get used to it in time hopefully.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    i have done this so many times stop them ans see latest was with morf so not good idea you will with luck never know the pain but back on now and staying that way till told can reduce it so you will feel this way from time to time and if you stop or not up to you just remember you can always start again good luck val
    val
  • Mumof1
    Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
    I find that they help a little, but I was told by my GP to only take them when the pain is severe, I'm wondering now if I should be on them more regular.
    Diclofenic worked quite well but my rheumy and GP wont let me take them any more, even though I only used the pain is severe.
  • dreamdaisy
    Sometimes the difference feels minimal but every small benefit helps. I've had a lifetime of pills, inhalers and injections so can't truly understand how odd it must feel to be in your position - it must make adjusting so much harder. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    Just a comment about diclofenic........I was taken off it and put on to naproxen.....GP said it was easier on the heart.
    I think they all have cardiovascular side effects but apparently naproxen is easier??? GP's comments.....not mine :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Shandy, how are things now? DD
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    hi all, new to forum ,merry xmas & painfree new year to all.
    been reading comments on hear and are very usfull to me
    have got PsA .and on meds (severe) :(
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello mike26, it's nice to meet you and I'm glad you have found us. Please post again (clicking the new thread button on this forum) and introduce yourself as many may miss your post on this thread. I too have PsA (I'm sixteen years in and counting) and I'm on all sorts of meds (for whose amusement and reward I'm not sure - certainly not mine!). We are a wise and supportive bunch and I hope we hear from you again soon. DD
  • shandy4greenday
    Hi dream things are much better with my back and less pain since I have been back on my tablets thank you I'm still getting my normal aches and pains but they have been bareable. I've just got back from Liverpool from visiting family for a couple of days and am just really looking forward to my hospital visit now.I have been a bit fed up as I have always baked lots and now that is now limited but I am slowly finding ways round it and try to make the most of my good days but I am getting there slowly I just need to try to keep busy sometimes to try to keep my mind off the pain it works sometimes hope all is well for you and you have had a great xmas.
  • dreamdaisy
    Ah, distraction is a good way to cope with pain as long as that distraction doesn't engender more - now that is a balancing act and a half! :wink: I'm currently totally cr*p with the arthritises but this Christmas was one of the best ever: its contentment will last me a good while and it's what's helping me through this rough patch. I appreciate your enquiry - thank you. DD