B12

Options
lupin15
lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
edited 31. Jan 2013, 11:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone had a b12 problem. I have had loads of problems with aches which was put down to arthur and for the last couple of months i have had treatment for thrush in the mouth. Been backwards and forwards to GP treatment started with one week... didnt go then back.. two weeks treatment.. still remained.. back again 3 weeks treatment and still could not get rid.. and to top it all my mouth is now burning most of the time. The doctor said i have to go back for blood test to check for a B12 problem which may have been caused by the chemo i had about 5 years ago.
Would love to her if anyone else has had this... if it is B12 it then brings up issues or whether all the pain i have had for years if a B12 deficiency. If it is the case how much damage has been done.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Lupin

Lovely to see you - sorry you have been so rough though :?

Let's hope no damage has been done! Serioulsy though I would have thought they can raise your B12 levels easily enough for you?

I would be very interested to hear the outcome of your bloods and what they can do to help if you don't mind. (I have a friend having chemo ATM)

Love luck and Merry Christmas

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think B12 has cropped up on here before - I'm sure someone posted about it a little while ago. I'll do a search and, if I can find the thread, I'll bump it up for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've had a look - there's loads of mentions but I cannot tell which is relevant to you so it may be better if you have a look through. The most recent thread to mention it was Malabsorption, posted by Scattered last week - I'll bump that one up for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • resusjan
    resusjan Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry the reply is a little late - have had no computer for a while.

Anyway - I have RA and Hypothyroidism. Last christmas, I started getting pins and needles in my hands and feet - turns out I also have pernicious anaemia - this is the one where you lack something called intrinsic factor in the lining of your gut which is responsible for absorbing B12 from your diet. As such, oral supplements are no use as you can't absorb it. I was started on a loading course of B12 injections - 1 every two weeks for 6 weeks. I now have the injections every 12 weeks. These seem to be working well and my symptoms improved by the time I had the third jab (in week 6).

Hope this is of some interest and that you get things sorted soon

Jan x
  • lupin15
    Options
    Thanks that is really interesting.. just got to wait for blood results to come back which should be this week.. friday. To be honest i am more worried it does not come back as B12 because this would mean more tests.
  • L1985
    L1985 Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hi hun

My last blood test showed enlarged red blood cells which my doc said could be vitamin deficiency I have to have blood tests to see whats wrong. My Rhuemy nurse however said not to bother?

Its interesting what you have said about thrush as I have recently had bouts of thrush which I cant get rid off so wonder if thats connected from been run down? Im ridiculously tired at the moment and my periods have stopped so im wondering if all connected?

Hope you get to the bottom of whats wrong.

xxxx
  • lupin15
    Options
    L1985 wrote:
    Hi hun

My last blood test showed enlarged red blood cells which my doc said could be vitamin deficiency I have to have blood tests to see whats wrong. My Rhuemy nurse however said not to bother?

Its interesting what you have said about thrush as I have recently had bouts of thrush which I cant get rid off so wonder if thats connected from been run down? Im ridiculously tired at the moment and my periods have stopped so im wondering if all connected?

Hope you get to the bottom of whats wrong.

xxxx

I have been told that you can get thrush in the mouth could be due to meds!!!! One of the drugs i take can cause various other side effects. I have done reading up on the thrush.. apparently most say to avoid/stop eating any sweet food ... i hardly drink dont smoke and now give up sweet stuff...i think not unless they can deficiently say that will help. i have been on meds to get rid of the thrush for over 5 weeks now and still have it, although it is a lot better. Not sure how old you are.. but when your period stop a lot of changes go on in your body... i am sure you can have a blood test to check hormone level. One good thing is i have actually managed to put some weight on ....half a stone..whoop whoop.
    I am phoning gp tomorrow to see what they say about blood tests. will the mystery be solved..????
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I know nothing about B12 but I do know that sugars are bad for oral thrush as they just encourage it. Sorry :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    Indeed this might be caused by the chemo even though it was 5 years ago. It does stay in your body for a long period of time. Although the known side effects eg..sickness etc go you could still get tingling fingers/toes and aches and pains.
    Your GP seems to be on the ball. I hope you get this sorted if it is the B12 its easy done and I'm sure you'll feel much better.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Lupin
    Sorry I cant offer any advice, but I see that May has given you some...and its good to see you May...
    Lupin I do hope you get it sorted very soon , and all the aches or most of them will disappear xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lupin15
    Options
    Hi Folks
    Spoke with doctor today. Not B12 problem... Had a general chat with me and said cheerfully that i have non specific arthur.. he has seen this bought on by many people that have been treated with chemo. Asked if i could have a new body he asked if i had anyone in mind..lol. Just said one that did not ache or give me pain .. he laughed. Still continuing treatment for mouth... if not gone he will be trying another drug to see whether i can shift my furry mouth.. The good news is no nasty bits in my blood meaning my cancer is not back... HOORAY. Just need to get my mouth sorted... looks like it is going to be a long haul. Also asked about whether changing my diet and cutting out sweet stuff would work.. He said no ...no real evidence to say that would make a jot of difference. Good news for me as i do this my sweet stuff, as a treat of course. :wink:
  • kellerman
    Options
    Hi I'm pleased for you that the cancer hasn't come back. What an excellent doc you have. Remember chemo is poison and although its aimed at getting rid of cancer cells it does affect good cells as well as there is no way to to just aim it at the nasties.
    So..yes aches and pains and maybe like me made your bones brittle.
    I must admit I've never heard of it causing thrush but you live and learn.
    I have it back again for the 3rd time in over 8 years and so the amount the chemo I have in my body is definately causing problems.
    I can think of a few people who I'd like to change bodies with but unfortunately can't be done with a script from the doc.
    I hope this clears up soon for you. May
  • lupin15
    Options
    kellerman wrote:
    Hi I'm pleased for you that the cancer hasn't come back. What an excellent doc you have. Remember chemo is poison and although its aimed at getting rid of cancer cells it does affect good cells as well as there is no way to to just aim it at the nasties.
    So..yes aches and pains and maybe like me made your bones brittle.
    I must admit I've never heard of it causing thrush but you live and learn.
    I have it back again for the 3rd time in over 8 years and so the amount the chemo I have in my body is definately causing problems.
    I can think of a few people who I'd like to change bodies with but unfortunately can't be done with a script from the doc.
    I hope this clears up soon for you. May

The interesting thing he said was it happens a few years later... must admit i use to be walk and run about 50-60 miles a week.. not now. It does blast the cancer and get rid.. but the effects you are left with for years after seem to sneak up on you. I would rather be here with the aches and pain than be dead. I have ever intention of being around for as long as possible.. certainly not letting the life insurance payout to the old man to enjoy :lol::lol: I am very lucky to be here and am no where as bad as some people so am counting my blessing.
    Hope you are going well ...
  • kellerman
    Options
    Indeed the after affects sneak up on you.I sailed through my 1st cycle of chemo but lately I've had this feeling I'm likely to drop things as my hands go numb. All quite normal. I have no intention of going anywhere yet so my life insurance isn't likely to fall into my hubbies hands in the near future.
    Of course this being my third lot of chemo I had a really bad reaction to it so now its not safe to give me the same drugs(built up in body) so I'm getting a nice new one.All cancer drugs do cause aches and pains but I'm sure that you like me would rather that than the cancer itself.
    Take care of yourself and I hope the thrush gets sorted soon. May
  • lupin15
    Options
    Good girl.. i am assuming only 3 more to go so half way through... the chemical bit will soon be done with..Rest and listen to your body, if it says sleep, do it and make sure you eat, even if you do feel sick it is really important. Will let you know what happens... And Thanks
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sitting here typing this with a mouth full of nystan for oral thrush. I'm so pleased for you not to have Cancer back, but know how horrible thrush can be. I'm having blood tests soon to see if anything other than the osteo and fibro ! Hope the thrush soon goes away. Love Suexxx
  • lupin15
    Options
    Well been given B1... interesting as i don't eat wheat. Also got grilled by the chemist about the drug the doctor wants to give me for my thrush... ... he asked what i had been taking said he didn't understand why he was giving this to me... Asked if i had the thrush down the back of my throat..... i don't know i said do you want to look....so i opened my mouth for him to look in. :roll: :roll: Well nor do i know why he is giving me this drug i replied :o:o i am just taking what the doctor is giving me to get rid of this thrush. I have had this for months now and don't really care what he gives me as long as it works..... Will let you know what they are giving me when they get it.
  • lupin15
    Options
    Well still not got rid of the thrush even after this latest drug.... doctor is now seeking advice from the big boys at the hospital (that was his words). He said to make an appointment for next Friday so he had have a look and if necessary take a picture.. Sounds simple :):) Phoned the doctors today to make an appointment for next Friday.... and he doesn't have any left :lol::lol::lol: I was then offered one for the week after... no go i am going a way. So to be honest i have had it for months a couple of weeks more is not going to make any difference. They said i could ring every day to see whether anyone has cancelled to i can get that appointment.. what a flaff not doing that. :roll: :roll: Will phone GP Thursday and ask him what he wants to do. Wonder how they will get this sorted.. hubby said cut my tongue out.. :o:o I don't think so. watch this space...