Drinkng - Have I had too much??

Options
Lauraalice
Lauraalice Member Posts: 5
edited 27. Dec 2012, 07:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Today is xmas and I have had 5 glasses of champagne, Mum has shouted at me and I have drank a lot of water afterwards; my last glass was at 6pm and its now 1am and nothing has happened - will I be ok? It is my first drink since on Methatrexate, was I wrong to do so and should I tell my doctor immediately or wait until my next visit (which is in two days)

Thanks, Laura x

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    you should be ok if you have got this far do not worry your mum just being a mum we worry do not do it again but a one off should be ok stay healthy today but do not regret it should have helped de stressed you have lovely day and give your mum a hug val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Laura

Oh dear, that is a lot of champagne :? I take it you are feeling alright today and have coped ok? I think (might be worth discussing with the rheumy/rheumy nurse sometime), that your liver is under extra strain on these strong meds like MTX and of course alcohol is sorted out by the liver too.

I am a Mum with three daughters two taking medications - one for epilepsy and one to prevent hemiplegic migraine. They are 'learning' what is safe too and we have discussed with their consultants because realistically l know young people do want to have a drink with their friends.

Hopefully everything in moderation and you'll take it steadier in future. If you are ever worried out of hours you can always telephone NHS direct - even at 1 in the Morning - for advice: 0845 4647

Love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Whether you've had too much depends, surely, on the size of the glass and the strength of the champagne. Tell the doctor, especially if you are in the early stages of your meth treatment, he may ask you to get your bloods done just to check that all is well (which I hope it is). Take care and let us know how you get on, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hi Laura if you ask people on here you will find some of them drink at least once a week and take MTX i was on 25MG injections and from time to time i had a few pints and a couple of large brandys. Hover its not do as i do its do as i say. Your mum is just being mum and its ok for her to be concerned and worried about you its what parents do. The problem is you Mtx dose not mix well with booze. Mtx doubles the work of your liver and that puts lots of stress on it. Alcohol dose the same think so if you mix them then your liver goes like the clappers. It cant be good for you, I spoke to My Rheumy who said the odd glass of beer from time to time, but do a post re Alchol and MTX see what responce you get . Mum is giving you good advise and sometimes its hard to deal with . you take care
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    the main reason for not drinking with Mtx is liver damage but it will show up on your blood test if you have to much inflamation in the liver ( Alt ) , a pint or glass of wine is fine occasionally , just dont over do it & if you do it will show on your blood test