foods to avoid if you have arthritis

Options
raykathlara
raykathlara Member Posts: 5
edited 6. Jan 2013, 04:43 in Say Hello Archive
Is there a link between seafood and increased pain with arthritis? I had mussels and king prawns last night and I have felt awful all day.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I don't think so but, if you have an upset tummy or raised temperature and your arthritis is of the auto-immune kind, that could account for it. I hope you're feeling a bit better today.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sea foods are the biggest culprits when it comes to causing tummy upsets etc, and prawns are also very high in cholesterol, but in what way were you feeling awful? Arthritis pain can increase for all kinds of reasons - standing too long, sitting too long, walking too far, trying to exercise but not necessarily due to diet. Some feel better within themselves when the avoid meat or dairy but for many more that makes no difference. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slowroad
    Slowroad Member Posts: 1
    edited 7. Jan 2013, 07:04
    Options
    Hi

According to this it can be any food but can be very different for each person -

[link edited]

The foods found most likely to cause intolerance as reported by Darlington and Ramsey in a single blind placebo controlled study. (Dr. L. Gail Darlington is a Consultant Rheumatologist at Epsom in Surrey NHS and private - and has been practising for about 30 years in this area)

Food Symptomatic / patients affected by food (%)
    Corn 57 %
    Wheat 54 %
    Bacon/pork 39 %
    Oranges 39 %
    Milk 37 %
    Oats 37 %
    Rye 34 %
    Eggs 32 %
    Beef 32 %
    Coffee 32 %
    With sugar / cheese and sometimes citrus registering reactions

[link edited]
    She and her colleagues have recently taken there studies to the House of Commons to try and change NHS practise advice (very interesting read for all of us with arthritis)

[link edited]
    Dreamdaisy and stickywicket are correct that upset stomachs can aggravate other intolerances - even if it not prawns!

Hope your feeling better now! :) Jo
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hello Jo - welcome to the forums from me :D

I haven't opened your links as the website requires I join..... :(

Not to worry - nice to meet you anyway.

Hi raykathlara - nice to meet you too and welcome you to our forums. I do hope you are feeling better now?

Toni xx