New to this and just a query really ATM

Options
niclind1979
niclind1979 Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Dec 2012, 07:01 in Say Hello Archive
:? It may seam odd that I'm on this site already but if you're kind enough to read on then you'll realise why!!

A few weeks back I had the horrid sickness and flu bug that everyone seams to have had recently. I was ill twice within 3 weeks. Well, since then I've had stiff and achy knees and elbows. I didn't think too much of it really just putting it down to a clingy effect of the bug. Well it's to the point now where my elbows hurt sooooo much that I can't even carry a cup of tea or change gear in the car. I saw a doctor and he thinks maybe RA. He's ordered a full blood count but I'm not sure what this will show?? If it is RA how long does a diagnosis take and what can they do in the first instance for this crazy pain. (I'm 33 by the way and have two children of 2.5 and 18 months.)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello niclind 1979 and welcome to the forum. It’s not compulsory to have a proper diagnosis :) which is just as well as many on here take quite a long time to get diagnosed.

I can understand your anxiety. Arthritis, of any kind, can take us completely by surprise and seem very scary, especially when there are little ones to take care of.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and I’ve had it for so long that I’m not even sure what all the blood tests do. Others are much more clued up on these things. However, if, after the results, he thinks RA is a distinct possibility, he’ll refer you to a rheumatologist. How long will this take? How long’s a piece of string :roll: ? It varies enormously.

In the meantime, your GP might give you anti-inflammatory meds and pain relief. He might even prescribe steroids which may make you feel perfectly OK but that is not to say you are OK, only that the steroids mask everything.

Try to stay patient and stay with us as we have a fair bit of knowledge among us and we can, at the very least, empathise.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright