can't take medication,

Options
pud
pud Member Posts: 5
edited 1. Jan 2013, 08:15 in Say Hello Archive
:?: how do you cope with r.a. with only short term anti inflammatory pills in your arsena? Because of other conditions these seem to be the only option open to me. anyone else managing like this? And how?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello pud and welcome to the forum.

I 'managed' on anti-inflamms for many years because DMARDS weren't offered back in the Dark Ages :wink: but I didn't manage well, I threw up regularly (no stomach protectors either) and, as a result, all my joints are now a mess.

I can only suggest an in-depth talk with your rheumatologist to see what can be sorted out. Many of us on here have additional problems (I have mild asthma plus an assortment of stomach problems due to said anti-inflamms.) but I've not yet come across anyone who can't take any DMARDS or anti-tnfs. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. (You'll get more answers if you post this on the Living With Arthritis forum.)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello pud (I like the name!) it's nice to meet you.

I don't think that one can cope with RA if you are just taking anti-inflammatories - they may target the swelling but they are not tackling the underlying issues with the immune system. There are some on here with other health issues (including phobias and mental health troubles) so I would hope that there would be something in the rheumatologist's 'goody bag' that could help. What does yours think about you tryng to manage with just the anti-inflamms? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pud
    pud Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for quick reples, seems at moment no real options, I am partially sighted and have awful lungs, from what I know all options hit one or the other.I must have awful genes, never been lucky with health. out patients does not inspire, its like a sausage machine. Only emergency number I have is consultant secretary. Is this usual? 6 months between help is a long time.
    Maybe being new to this is making me feel down(18 months).
    Will feel more positive tomorrow. Thanks.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh pud, that is very tough indeed. I know that some meds can affect eyesight and the some of the ones I take may affect my breathing (I have asthma) but so far, so good. Just because side-effects are mentioned does not guarantee that they will turn up and if one is taking methotrexate (for example) you are very closely monitored by doing regular blood tests. Like you I too have rubbish genes (my parents both dodged the genetic bullets they gave to me) and life has been tough all the way through on the health-front (what does good health feel like? It must be pleasant. :roll: ). My arthritis went undiagnosed and thus untreated for a good few years and I am now in a bit of a mess thanks to that.

I hope you will be seeing your rheumatologist soon, you need a good talk-through about the options, your fears and concerns about the meds etc. In the meantime keep talking to us, we know our stuff and although we cannot advise about your particular situation we can offer support and encouragement. I see you've posted on the Living with Arthritis bit, I hope you will garner some more replies. If appropriate I wish you a happy new year and I hope that 2013 will see some resolution to your current dilemma. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben