Ladies - the perfect gift for your manchild

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
edited 7. Jan 2013, 14:11 in Community Chit-chat archive
I hit on it kind of by accident but it’s the most successful gift I’ve ever given him since….but let’s not go into that :oops:

When we first went to visit our grandson in LA he was convinced that what the little 2 month old chap would really appreciate would be a remote controlled helicopter :roll: I managed to divert him into the infants section but the ‘helicopter affair’ surfaced each time we went and he was also adamant that it would make the perfect christening present for the other, newly adopted, 5 yr old. He was green with envy when the other grandparents (grandfather?) bought one for the little guy.

So, by Christmas I knew exactly what to get my man and he was delighted. By Boxing Day our (38 yr old) son could fly it perfectly (His mate has one) and the 6 yr old was pretty good at it, too. Only Grandad kept crashing it. Last week, when the family had all left, I heard a strange noise in the bedroom. Yup, he’d decided to give it a gentler landing on our king size.

Today, beaming, he asked if I’d like to watch him fly his ‘copter now that he was getting good at it. I am full of cold, with a dripping nose and aching everything and I’d gone in to ask if he’d do tonight’s meal. So the truth was out of the question :) I said I’d love to watch. He pushed the coffee table to the far end of the room so as to have more space. The ‘copter took off really slowly and smoothly and rose upwards gently in a very controlled manner. Then it rose further upwards, in a rather less controlled manner, crashed into the ceiling, dropped like a stone and bounced off the coffee table onto the floor.

It’s perfectly OK. It’s very forgiving and, if you want to know what to get you manchild next Christmas, you really can’t go wrong. Just think almost 7 yr old, not almost 70 yr old. It worked for me.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    These little machines are absorbing and educational, I have two for helping with my errrrrr.... wallet/eye/hand co-ordination! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh bless! The inner seven year old (which they never lose, just look at the manchild when he's asleep) is being nourished thanks to the care and interest of the good lady wife. In return for playing your part of adoring audience has he agreed to chef tonight? I hope so because you are a poorly girl. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Why do they never grow out of these things?! I got my not yet one year old nephew a plush football which on Boxing Day my dad (under the guise of entertaining the baby) insisted on being at (on) the dinner table with us...not sure why, the baby was entertained by meat and his audience. A word of warning Sticky, if he gets remotely ok at it he may want to venture into the world of the quad copter which a few of my thirty something male friends are obsessed with. Still, it sounds like you have bought yourself some peace and quiet there! I got Mr LV a catapult for throwing the dog ball with...gets him out the house and tires dogs out, two for the price of one. Hope you feel better soon.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    I was after one of those for my bro!

Got my husband an IPAD for the tech-phobe he is I can't prize it out of his hands!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    These little machines are absorbing and educational,

Of course they are, Airwave. He's in complete agreement with you :lol:

DD he did chef. Unfortunately he now has my cold. (He has emphasised, between pathetic coughs, that it's my cold so I'm afraid it's back to the kitchen for me.

LV - to the horror of his wife, my son made a caterpult for their 6 yr old out of a branch from the tree he and his Dad had just chopped down plus some begged knicker elastic. (No. It was still on the card.) I wish you at least one girl between Bubble & Squeak :wink:

Toni - that's because he can't work it yet but won't admit it :D
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    :lol: ............boys and toys Sticky.........boys and toys xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have to admit I got my youngest son one...he is 38 going on 12...you got one free....and I love it...I am driving my hubby mad ....am I a one off here ladies.... :?
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cor! Should we re-name you Biggles? :wink: I'm not sure about the helicopter but I always wanted a Scalextric when I was a child but, being a girl and those times being what they were, I never got one. :( DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Barbara - You got one free :o I am green with envy. Look at me :mrgreen: Hey, if you enjoy it, Biggles, then you enjoy it. Why not?

DD - you should have had an older brother. I didn't manage Scalextric but was delighted to inherit his meccano and bayco (A building set with rods and tiles). And I insisted on my own train set.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I always wanted an older of either gender but alas was condemned to the solitary life of an only. (Only kidding, I loved not having to share and still do.) I think my Dad probably bemoaned the lack of Meccano and Scalextric (he was a mechanical engineer, i.e. he engineered with no enjoyment or interest :wink:) and I was given a red plastic train when I was three: it's on my bookshelf downstairs. DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hey, toys to keep, mine were all given away before each birthday or xmas, the local children's home did well!

Thats probably why I allow myself the odd indulgence now and then (when's my next pension due????). 8) 8)