Jeremy Vine - Lupus

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 12. Jan 2013, 10:48 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

The above is discussing Lupus on the radio...Its very interesting and as I myself have an auto immune disease (idiopathic urticaria and angioedema) I didnt realise the reason why I no longer got colds...Its because the meds we/I take to supress the condition so basically you cant catch common colds (according to radio) but can get other more severe things in case of Lupus..
Very interesting...

Elainexx

Comments

• wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Interesting I am still under investigation for an inflammatory form of athritis but I do have problems with my immune system, hence, I keep getting hives as well as other problems and have the flu jab every year
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I didn't hear the programme but the 'colds' thing sounds odd. The meds that I take for my RA are deigned to suppress an over-active immune system. Hence, while on them, I'm more susceptible to colds and infections and less able to deal with them. (Writes she in a paroxysm of coughing.)

P.S. That should have read 'are designed to suppress' etc but they do seem the sort of meds that deign to help you in one way whilst scuppering you in others :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    I missed it as I was in Oxford sxrewfix after doing an on line order that wasn't there although it was on their system?, they messed about so long it was over by the time I got back in my car!.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Interesting as the most common cause of death in lupus patients is infections. Being on immune suppressants themselves make you more susceptible to infections and then SLE lowers certain cell counts which also make infections more likely.

However it is also true that some lupus patients find their bodies so busy causing havoc with joints or organs that they rarely catch a cold.

Elaine I did not realise that you had lupus, which immunosuppressants do you take? I have SLE as well as a lot of other very dreary conditions.

I did not catch the programme myself, but I understand it was not exactly accurate in parts. However anything that raises the profile of SLE is good.
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi elainebadknee
    sound right stickywicket
    mike26 :roll:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Wall

Ive often wondered if I should have flu jab with having auto immune disease but havent bothered yet as can honestly say havent had a cold since having been diagnosed...I get hives and rashes aplenty, have a nice bout at mo!

elainexx
    wall1409 wrote:
    Interesting I am still under investigation for an inflammatory form of athritis but I do have problems with my immune system, hence, I keep getting hives as well as other problems and have the flu jab every year
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Sticky

It made sense to me as havent had so much as a tickly cough or nothing for over 2 plus years...Do have constant runny nose with allergic rhinitis however which is a bit of pain....

Elainex
    I didn't hear the programme but the 'colds' thing sounds odd. The meds that I take for my RA are deigned to suppress an over-active immune system. Hence, while on them, I'm more susceptible to colds and infections and less able to deal with them. (Writes she in a paroxysm of coughing.)

P.S. That should have read 'are designed to suppress' etc but they do seem the sort of meds that deign to help you in one way whilst scuppering you in others :roll:
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Ah Mell

You missed an interesting one...catch up on ipplayer?

Elainexx
    mellman01 wrote:
    I missed it as I was in Oxford sxrewfix after doing an on line order that wasn't there although it was on their system?, they messed about so long it was over by the time I got back in my car!.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Suzygirl

First of all I aint got Lupus, I do have auto immune disease called idiopathic urticaria and angioedema plus allergic rhinitis...PHEW!!!!I take fexofenadine and levocetrizine for them....
    The radio show today said that lots of Lupus sufferers seemed to get lots of kidney/liver infections and one woman diagnosed her daughter (they both had it) as she looked at her swollen legs and could tell right away....
    I found it a very interesting show and it must have been quite accurate as there was the resident doctor Sarah commenting on it too....

Elainexx
    suzygirl wrote:
    Interesting as the most common cause of death in lupus patients is infections. Being on immune suppressants themselves make you more susceptible to infections and then SLE lowers certain cell counts which also make infections more likely.

However it is also true that some lupus patients find their bodies so busy causing havoc with joints or organs that they rarely catch a cold.

Elaine I did not realise that you had lupus, which immunosuppressants do you take? I have SLE as well as a lot of other very dreary conditions.

I did not catch the programme myself, but I understand it was not exactly accurate in parts. However anything that raises the profile of SLE is good.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hello!!! Not sure what else to say!
    mike26 wrote:
    hi elainebadknee
    sound right stickywicket
    mike26 :roll:
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

The above is discussing Lupus on the radio...Its very interesting and as I myself have an auto immune disease (idiopathic urticaria and angioedema) I didnt realise the reason why I no longer got colds...Its because the meds we/I take to supress the condition so basically you cant catch common colds (according to radio) but can get other more severe things in case of Lupus..
    Very interesting...

Elainexx

I will certainly have a listen Elaine xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:

That makes sense. I once had a bout of sickness and my arthritis pain totally went away for those 2 days and I could leap out of bed and run to the loo.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Yes I know it said they could get infections in places such as liver, kidney and heart which could be fatal but not a common cold.....It really is fascinating and it can be a vicious disease I beleive..

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    suzygirl wrote:

That makes sense. I once had a bout of sickness and my arthritis pain totally went away for those 2 days and I could leap out of bed and run to the loo.

Elizabeth