RIP Reg Dean.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 8. Jan 2013, 09:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
I hope I've spelled his name correctly. He was Britain's oldest man, he died today aged 110. Now that is some age to achieve, no? I for one would not like to make it to such an age (knowing my luck I probably will :roll:) so my question is this: would you, and if so, why? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Only if I have quality of life, otherwise NO
  • mike26
    mike26 Member Posts: 416
    Options
    hi dream dasiy
    we are supposingly living longer now dd,but wouldnt want it if i was suffering.its not nice watching someone close to u dieing.(ide known my father inlaw for about 40 years we worked together, and he was a great frend of mine.

I helped look after him his last few years (Alzheimers) it wasnt nice
    last 13weeks in hospital where he died. (relief )

like arfuits said wana be happy to the end and no pain (please)
    unfortnley we dont get that choice dd,so ill take mine as it comes painfree. 100 and get me special birthday card.. :roll:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Definitely not. No-one, of 110, suddenly drops dead while having a whale of a time. I can handle decrepitude and have been doing for some time :wink: so when people say 'You're OK as long as you've got your health and your strength' I tend to think 'Borrux. I've had neither for years but I'm a much happier person than you are.' I'd like a modicum of health though and it seems unlikely at 110 after what'd be 95 years of arthritis meds. As long as I can be happy, useful and productive I'll hang around. After that you can shoot me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I sincerely hope that arther will be passed into history by a cure.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    I sincerely hope that arther will be passed into history by a cure.

I love optimists :) They were telling me a cure was 'just around the corner' when I was first diagnosed in '61. It's a very, very big corner.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright