I can hear the woodpecker.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 21. Jan 2013, 06:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Opposite our house there is a sloped bank of trees. I think they are sycamore, most of the trunks are smothered with ivy, it's all rather bucolic for a town. :wink: The squirrels are very entertaining as they run through the bare branches, there's a lively population of blackbirds, robins, sparrows, pigeons and the odd magpie and, somewhere, a woodpecker. He's drilling away this morning with great enthusiasm.

I also see the odd mouse pootling along the base of the fence that separates the woody bit from the pavement - and the occasional rat: not so bucolic, then. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hmm, the rat sounds more bubonic than bucolic!
    Lucky you, hearing the woodpecker drill. I don't usually hear them drilling here until the spring. I do hear them calling though, I love woodpeckers, they sound so happy.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi DD
    We have fields across from us..and I love to watch the squirrels ..they do like there food...they seem to know when we are in for a cold patch...very active this week :o ...not seen the woodpecker yet...
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've not seen our woodies either or the goldfinches. The squirrels are charging round like kids in the playground, though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Not many trees in our immediate vicinity , they are all further along at the top of the hill ; we have a lot of downland though so we are entertained by lots of rabbits , foxes , the odd badger and mice . We also have quite a few kestrels hovering overhead . Jillyb
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The call of the woodpecker, is it a loud shriek? I can't see the bird that makes this call and never have my binos ready when I do see the bird so can't put the two together.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    We dont see lots of birds because we live in a Town, but what we do have is hedgehogs. Have you ever heard them. They drive us round the bend with the noise they make while mating. It sounds like a woman screamig. It does really sound awful. I would much rather have the birds and squirrels.
    Karen xx
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    We live in the countryside but just on the edge of a town so we too get both 'town and country mice' here (just read 'The Town mouse and the Country Mouse' story with my daughter this week). We have a woodpecker 'going for it'!!! Makes me laugh when I hear him drilling away! X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    He's been very quiet since the beginning of this week, maybe it's too cold for drilling? I have no idea what the call sounds like but the drilling is very distinctive, tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat! Anyhoo, the trees are snow covered this morning so any drilling will surely only result in a snow mantle for said bird. Brrrrrrrrrr! DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's dark here, very cold, God's dandruff is steadily falling and there's a 'tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat' somewhere out there in the gloom. Two pedestrians heard it, stopped, stared intently at various trees trying to locate him but they couldn't. DD
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    I saw a lovely little robin redbreast the other day. Do you know, he made me smile so broadly in the middle of the street??! I actually said to him out loud, "hello my little lovely robin redbreast".

Made me feel that i must finally be coming out of this deep depression that i have been in since sept. (hence my absence on here and at work....been off sick since sept).

That little robin with his lovely puffed out feathery chest might be a sign that i am out of the dark and into the light!!!

My rerurn to here this website is a sign i am not as deep in the black as i was.

Do u know, a pal of mine who has since emigrated to NZ, used to say that my silence was DEAFENING. Ie...when i went quiet.....something was wrong.....

She was so very perceptive...and still is on t'other side of th'world!!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I was standing at the bus stop after getting some shopping when 2 robins came and sat near me watching to see if I would feed them. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything at all in my bag that they could eat. Wish I'd bought some bread. Would have been better than nothing.

Sugarbuttie, I'm glad you are feeling better. It's the little things that don't cost a penny that make me smile.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    constable wrote:
    We dont see lots of birds because we live in a Town, but what we do have is hedgehogs. Have you ever heard them. They drive us round the bend with the noise they make while mating. It sounds like a woman screamig. It does really sound awful. I would much rather have the birds and squirrels.

I didn't know hedgehogs were that noisy Karen. It is mating season for foxes ATM and they sound like women screaming so could it be foxes you are hearing?

I had a woodpecker in my garden last year or the year before.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hedgehogs make an astonishing amount of noise - we were routinely awoken by a pair in congress but as they were living in our garden we couldn't really complain. :wink:

We stayed at friends in Colchester on Saturday, I went to bed early and listened to a solitary fox barking steadily in the sleety night. DD