Africa - Giraffe's

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 19. Jan 2013, 12:00 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I missed last wednesdays Africa documentary and I do love David Attenbrough's ones, they are so well done (I know they cheated a bit with the polar bears last year but it all got sorted out)...
Anyway caught a bit of the repeat on Sunday and was fascinated...
The footage of the giraffes who I thought of as gentle creatures was surprising....There was a couple male and female and then they turned a corner in and another male was approaching...The one who was the outsider was younger and the two of them immediately squared up...To start it looked graceful as they intertwined necks but then they used their necks to thump lumps out of each other - all that neck muscle purely used as a weapon....Nature took its course and the younger one felled the older one and as it sat on its honkers, the younger one about to deliver a killer blow to the head, it ducked and landed a blow to the younger ones under carriage...Well it completely knocked out the younger one and it was cold on the floor like a boxer who had come out of retirement too late...The younger one got up after a few minutes but the camera team thought it was dead...
I found it thoroughly fascinating....

Elainexx

Comments

• applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I watched that too. It was fascinating. I don't like watching animals fighting but I couldn't take my eyes off it. There another programme (can't remember what it's called) where they fly over countries in a balloon. I'm looking forward to that one.
    I think David Attenbrough is brilliant. I know they cheated with the polar bears but, as he explained, they could never have got the footage in the wild. it gave us the idea of how things are anyway.
    Christine
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Applerose

It was so fascinating wasnt it? I love DA's documentaries, his voice is soo soothing and it just completely lets me lose myself for the whole hour...Its like an innocent, guilty pleasure..

Elainexx
    applerose wrote:
    I watched that too. It was fascinating. I don't like watching animals fighting but I couldn't take my eyes off it. There another programme (can't remember what it's called) where they fly over countries in a balloon. I'm looking forward to that one.
    I think David Attenbrough is brilliant. I know they cheated with the polar bears but, as he explained, they could never have got the footage in the wild. it gave us the idea of how things are anyway.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I love the David Attenbrough programmes and recorded (Sky+) the Africa proggrame, it's on tonight the second part! I saw that giraffe fight WOW!! they knocked ten bells out of each other! Better than a human boxer fights!! I'm also watching the David Attenbrough Galapagos Islands programme on Sky 1 that's great and so interesting, the camera work on both programmes is amazing worth watching both programmes. Worth catching up on Africa on BBC IPlayer and Sky Anytime or Sky go.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Bubbadog

I forgot about the one on Sky...Love the Galapagos Islands! I must record it and chill out to it one night...The camera work and patience of them is second to none...

Thanks!

Elainexx
    bubbadog wrote:
    I love the David Attenbrough programmes and recorded (Sky+) the Africa proggrame, it's on tonight the second part! I saw that giraffe fight WOW!! they knocked ten bells out of each other! Better than a human boxer fights!! I'm also watching the David Attenbrough Galapagos Islands programme on Sky 1 that's great and so interesting, the camera work on both programmes is amazing worth watching both programmes. Worth catching up on Africa on BBC IPlayer and Sky Anytime or Sky go.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I love the nature documentaries but for me they are too graphic ie. in the hunting and killing segments. I've been watching the doc' about the oceans, so fascinating.

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Numps

That'sj just the cycle of life though isnt it in the animal world? It happens....I do love David Attenborough;s ones, so good!

Elainexx
    numptynora wrote:
    I love the nature documentaries but for me they are too graphic ie. in the hunting and killing segments. I've been watching the doc' about the oceans, so fascinating.

Numps x
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Another Great Africa episode very interesting about the congo! Did any of you watch Winterwatch on BBC2? I loved the beavers! (meaning the animals you lot with dirty minds!) the babies where so cute! Watched them on the red button after the programme because they where so cute!! Shame it's finished now it was such a good series. Did any of you catch the Galapagos programme on Sky1?
    Well when all these programmes finished I will just have to go back to watching all the animals in my garden, I am blessed to have such a great amount of wildlife in my back garden from alsorts of birds to a family of squirrels! And foxes and hedgehogs! It's like having your own nature programme!! :D
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Bubba

Ive got 2 episodes of Africa to watch now as I swim on a thursday night...I dont see Winterwatch, or Galapagos.....We just have ordinary birds in our garden but they do amuse me!

Elainexx
    bubbadog wrote:
    Another Great Africa episode very interesting about the congo! Did any of you watch Winterwatch on BBC2? I loved the beavers! (meaning the animals you lot with dirty minds!) the babies where so cute! Watched them on the red button after the programme because they where so cute!! Shame it's finished now it was such a good series. Did any of you catch the Galapagos programme on Sky1?
    Well when all these programmes finished I will just have to go back to watching all the animals in my garden, I am blessed to have such a great amount of wildlife in my back garden from alsorts of birds to a family of squirrels! And foxes and hedgehogs! It's like having your own nature programme!! :D
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elaine I do love to watch the DA programmes I honestly don't think there is anything quite like it on the telly at the moment...must say I missed the giraffes....x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    If you missed it catch it on the BBC IPLayer?

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Elaine I do love to watch the DA programmes I honestly don't think there is anything quite like it on the telly at the moment...must say I missed the giraffes....x
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Big Love to David Attenbrough!! :D There is alot of DVD's of programmes he's done you might be able to get them cheap now HMV has gone bump!! :D
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Bubba

I do have somewhere and I dont know where it is but "A Life In Cold Blood" as that's my favourite area of animals, amphibians and reptiles....

Elainexx
    bubbadog wrote:
    Big Love to David Attenbrough!! :D There is alot of DVD's of programmes he's done you might be able to get them cheap now HMV has gone bump!! :D