Taken my next step into biddydom !

Options
jillyb1
jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
edited 15. Jan 2013, 14:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Mentioned to GP that I don't hear as well these days due to coping with good old tinnitus . Had full gamut of tests at the hospital and just been "measured up" for hearing aids for both ears . Think it might be time to admit that I'm no longer a 16 year old and am in reality fast approaching 60 ! Jillyb

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh crikey, as if you don't already have enough to cope with. :roll: I hope the aids help, how soon will you get them? I know from my dad's and late MIL's experiences that they seem odd at first as they amplify everything - that must be weird. Good luck my lovely - I SAID GOOD LUCK MY LOVELY! :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Jilly...I am 63 this year and my hearing was perfect...but a lass its on it way out...mind you my OH is worse but not according to him ...can you just imagine us both...WHAT DID YOU SAY LOVE....WHAT TIME IS IT....WHAT ...YOU WANT A CUPPA....9 OCLOCK OK...mind you I blame the antiinflams.. :? Good Luck with it all...I may be joining you very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Who says you can't be 16 with a hearing aid? My friend had one at school. She used to turn it off for geography :lol:

It's another bit dropping off, jillyb, but I hope you find them a help. Please keep us updated.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    It sure does creep up on you fast, and start messing with you, hearing, sight, grey hairs and wrinkles everywhere! I still can't believe I'm 40 in a few weeks! I just want to go and hide for this birthday!! :cry:
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Well Jilly and Barbara, I think I would do well with you two. 53 now and I drive my girls and hubby round the twist with "sorry what did you say" or answering with reply completely irelevant to their question.
    Karen xx
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely replies , it helps being able to share . I was initially shocked to find that hearing aids are necessary , ( thought it was everyone else mumbling causing the problem ! ) , hopefully I will get used to hearing properly again when the aids are fitted in 5 weeks . Will keep you all posted , in the meantime I'll continue to masquerade as an ageing teenager , as Sticky said , teenagers can be deaf too . Just not ready to behave as a 57 year old should yet . Jillyb
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sure that won't happen, jillyb1. Arthritis hasn't 'tamed' you. Why should a couple of deaf aids? Anyway, whatever happens, you can't switch us lot off :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    sticky is right Jilly, there's no getting away from us lol
    My Dad had two hearing aids, took him a while to adjust but he settled into them and was fine.. Mum is meant to also have two but only gave into one and she ain't so keen. Like me, she doesn't like things near her lugholes lol..
    My hearing is bad and I should really have it checked but I am being stubborn :D
    Also recently been told I'm starting with cataracts lol

I feel OLD

lol

Xxxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    My Dad had two hearing aids, took him a while to adjust but he settled into them and was fine.. Mum is meant to also have two but only gave into one and she ain't so keen.

My Dad should have had a hearing aid but Mum never let him on the grounds that 'They're not worth having." Later, she needed one herself but flatly refused. On one occasion I heard her confidently producing the 'rubbish' argument to a woman with one in each ear :roll:
    Steven Wright