Horsemeat in Burger's, for or against

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 19. Jan 2013, 06:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
I know people say there's nothing wrong with it, and it tastes ok, but it's a no from me, I'll stick to the vegeburgers. Alanthemanc.

Comments

• alanthemanc
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Am I flogging a dead horse, with this thread :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Alan, how's things? How's Carlos? I hope he's still functioning in the cold - and that applies to you too!

Horse is a popular meat in other countries but I think the trouble the UK faces with it is that, because some find it repugnant to eat the flesh of something which can 'overlap' into petdom, therefore the rest of us should. I have no objection but I saw that the ranges I saw being withdrawn from the shelves were hardly quality products. This has probably been going on for years, if you buy ten burgers for a quid or whatever surely you have to wonder what's in 'em. If the DDs eat burgers or meatballs they're ones I make. Lean minced steak, onion, garlic, smidge of crushed chillies, fennel seeds, black pepper, raw egg to bind and wet hands to shape. Simples. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Nice one, Alan! Puns a'plenty were coming in on Drive, e.g. I had one of these and now I have the bit between my teeth; I had one and now have the trots etc etc etc! Made me laugh but then most things do. :wink:
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Options
    Having spent 3 weeks in Iceland last summer, and eaten horse on several occassions, (it replaces beef there), I thought it was very good........

However, If you buy beef burgers......you'd expect beef....in some form or the other.....

Ireland traditionally produces many horses, for racing, hunting, and 'pet' trade......

I guess with the current financial state, there must be many horses surplus to requirements, and someone has found an 'outlet' for that surplus.......

Tastes nothing like chicken.....
    Roba045.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Tesco's claim they don't know how horse meat got into the burgers so I'm wondering if somebody at the factory has been flogging off the beef cheap and replacing it with horse meat. Now that would worry me because it might not be horse meat next time. Its the breaching of rules that worries me-I'm sure horse meat is fine.

But Alan I'm cutting down on my meat intake too. Quorn tastes fine as a replacement.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Before I stopped eating meat I ate horsemeat in France. Meat is meat whether it comes from a horse or a cow and I don't buy into the 'pet' distinction.

Surely the problem comes from not knowing what’s on the plate or whether it’s fit for human consumption. If they’re lying about what sort of meat then what else are they lying about?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cheaper commercial 'beef' burgers are consituted from mechanically recovered meat and that's why you don't want to know what's in them. Surely there is no ethical difference between eating pig, deer sheep, cow, game and chicken but dog, cat, guinea pig, rabbit, horse? It's a cultural thing.

Last year 'im indoors and me went to Cambridge, he tried antelope and zebra because he had the opportunity. I stuck to fish but that's what I do. Give me fish any day (apart from gurnard, it's horrid). DD
  • newbygran
    newbygran Member Posts: 96
    Options
    think I will stick to vedgie burgers, and hope the carrots are real :lol: :oops:
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Im not too bothered at the thought of eating horse. I love to cook and eat goat but I usually have to convince others it's worth a try which I never understand. It's meat isn't it?! The investigation into the burgers started with them wanting to know what the offal content was...they never said if it was horse offal or horse steaks they found. I'm with DD, if you want to be sure what is in it, make it yourself from scratch.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    D.D.
    Yeh, still lurking on Arthritis Care, Carlos is a bit cold at the mo, still some familier names knocking about on here, keep it up.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm glad to read you're lurking, that's good to know 'cos I reading enjoy your posts. Daisy is going to have to brace herself today - I have to get her off the drive so someone else can do the wheelie bin. I'll wait until after lunch by which time she'll have warmed through a little, tyres and all.

There was a good debate about the horse thing yesterday on 5Live, now they're discussing whether crabs and prawns etc can feel pain. I can, so why can't they? The thinking was that because they lack a backbone they wouldn't but they must have nerves, how else would they know what they're touching is food or not? Or do they just take pot luck? (as opposed to pot noodle :wink: ) DD
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Would that be lobster pot luck?
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Seeing a report about it on the Six O'Clock news last night it has put me off burgers even more now!
    And I read on Matt Cardle's Twitter page that he found a part of chicken brain in his chicken nuggets from McDonald's!! He said it had put him off McDonald's and what made him laugh was McDonald's sent him some vouchers for food!! What is going on with food these days? What will we hear about next!?
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    I quite like beef burgers, but wouldn't dream of buying from a supermarket.
    I always buy from a local butcher who uses best lean mince beef.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,932
    Options
    Hello Alan
    i would never eat or buy horse meat i had my own horse.
    i dont mind what others eat but its not for me.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I can see why you would not want to eat horse meat Dacshund. I would feel the same about dog and cat meat but whose to say that doesn't get used as a filler as well? If all ingredients were listed it would be down to choice but they know very few would buy the products if they knew what went into them.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein