What Amuses Kids Now

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 20. Jan 2013, 07:10 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi

I will sound really old posting this but saw this today and couldnt quite get over it..
Was in doc's waiting room today and two mum's came in with 2 kids each and you know im used to kids playing with toys or reading books...Well today family one the boy was on a blackberry playing a game, mum had kindle, girl had mobile phone on games too...Family 2 surpassed that - mum whipped out tablet for girl of age of 5 to play game or shopping for clothes (couldn't decipher) whilst boy had Apple IPod Touch which goes on internet and allsorts...
Isn't it sad or a sign of the times that this is how parents entertain kids now...I couldn't help feel their eyesight would suffer in later years..

Elainex

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think it is discusting that both children had expensive play things too. I have two girls and we would not even consider letting them have a mobile phone until they started secondary school. And now they do have a laptop as well. But that is it. Nothing else. Those kids will grow up expecting everything.
    Karen xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    You know, it's very hard bringing up kids and very easy to criticise parents.

I'd have loved to have something that'd keep my two quiet in docs' surgeries. Maybe these kids had the electronic stuff as a treat for that purpose. My 3 yr old grandson loves playing games on his Dad's mobile or on the large screen but he equally loves reading books, writing, building car tracks, riding his bike etc. It's not an either/or just what's suitable for the situation.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I have 2 GC now 15 and 11...must say I do get annoyed when talking to them and they don't look up from there phones.
    But we have that sorted......but the age of children today with phones is quite shocking...I have seen them at primary school.
    I can understand there love of technology, must say I love it and wonder what I would have been like at there age... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Karen

I agree, why give kids expensive things as they very rarely take care of ordinary toys....A mobile is needed when a child is of a certain age of course and emergencies but all these up-to-date gadgets is not neceessary..

Elainexx
    constable wrote:
    I think it is discusting that both children had expensive play things too. I have two girls and we would not even consider letting them have a mobile phone until they started secondary school. And now they do have a laptop as well. But that is it. Nothing else. Those kids will grow up expecting everything.
  • elainebadknee
    Options

Yes im not saying parenting is a walk in the park, far from it...I doubt either whether the tablet/gadgets were as treat as they were brought out in such a manner that it was an item carried in a handbag like a hairbrush.....
    I think its a sign of times and dont feel its a good thing....That is my opinion as I feel this would be easy fodder for other unsavoury characters such as thieves etc....You dont need exepnsive gadgets to entertain kids all the time...

Elainexx
    You know, it's very hard bringing up kids and very easy to criticise parents.

I'd have loved to have something that'd keep my two quiet in docs' surgeries. Maybe these kids had the electronic stuff as a treat for that purpose. My 3 yr old grandson loves playing games on his Dad's mobile or on the large screen but he equally loves reading books, writing, building car tracks, riding his bike etc. It's not an either/or just what's suitable for the situation.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Barbara

But kids have always wanted new trendy things but the point is that now they are so accessible when its not always the best thing.....I just feel more time could be spent on other more interactive hobbies than plonking a kid on a tablet or mobile...

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    I have 2 GC now 15 and 11...must say I do get annoyed when talking to them and they don't look up from there phones.
    But we have that sorted......but the age of children today with phones is quite shocking...I have seen them at primary school.
    I can understand there love of technology, must say I love it and wonder what I would have been like at there age... :D
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    Options
    I have two small children and I avoid taking them with me to the docs as much as possibly can. These mums may have had no choice but to take their children with them. I applaud them for making sure that their children had something to keep them quiet whilst waiting in the surgery. The last thing poorly people want to hear is screaming and whining kids! I have let mine play on my mobile in such situations just to keep the peace. This doesnt mean I do this at home. Far from it, we do art and craft, drawing, visit the library etc.

Mobile phones, tablets and gaming consoles are a godsend in situations where, as a parent, you are conscious of other people and you are trying to maintain peace. Airports, aeroplanes, GP waiting rooms etc. are all places where such devices are marvellous and I would not even think twice about letting my children use one in these circs. When you have a screaming or whining child in a place where people want quiet, you would do ANYTHING to shut them up!!!!! If a mobile phone does the trick, why not??!!

That said....i always have a pad and pen in my bag now that mine are older so that we can play hangman and noughts and crosses in such situations. I love technology but i also love the traditional stuff. My son is a whizz on the ipad at 8 but he is also a whizz at chess, draughts and dominoes (thanks to my 68 yr old dad)!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hang on a minute im not saying dont take kids to such places so think some people are answering this topic in the wrong manner...And the kids weren't even making a sound or protesting one bit...I just think these gadgets are too readily available and think its a sad reflection of our times...

Elainexx
    I have two small children and I avoid taking them with me to the docs as much as possibly can. These mums may have had no choice but to take their children with them. I applaud them for making sure that their children had something to keep them quiet whilst waiting in the surgery. The last thing poorly people want to hear is screaming and whining kids! I have let mine play on my mobile in such situations just to keep the peace. This doesnt mean I do this at home. Far from it, we do art and craft, drawing, visit the library etc.

Mobile phones, tablets and gaming consoles are a godsend in situations where, as a parent, you are conscious of other people and you are trying to maintain peace. Airports, aeroplanes, GP waiting rooms etc. are all places where such devices are marvellous and I would not even think twice about letting my children use one in these circs. When you have a screaming or whining child in a place where people want quiet, you would do ANYTHING to shut them up!!!!! If a mobile phone does the trick, why not??!!

That said....i always have a pad and pen in my bag now that mine are older so that we can play hangman and noughts and crosses in such situations. I love technology but i also love the traditional stuff. My son is a whizz on the ipad at 8 but he is also a whizz at chess, draughts and dominoes (thanks to my 68 yr old dad)!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I prefer to see parents and children interacting. Children love the attention and it always brings a smile to my face when I see a parent taking notice of their child. I think its the lack of interaction Elaine was commenting on although I agree it might have been the Mums intention to keep them quiet and amused at the surgery for the other patients sake.

However some gadgets are educational. My daughter has an i pod touch and we play scrabble together but I've lost my Sons to the world of zombies. I keep asking my Son to read a book and although he agrees he should its always later.

I would use gadgets to keep them amused out and about although obviously I tell them there is a time and a place. They are not allowed to take them to the restaurant for example.

I have noticed my children love simple paper games and 20 questions.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • sugarbuttie
    Options
    I do agree that such things are too readily available these days and I fear that some children will grow up without ever playing traditional games.

My parents have zero technology - not even a mobile phone. Consequently, when my children go there, it is traditional games all afternoon. Scrabble, snap, snakes and ladders, eye spy, Ludo etc. Guess what....they love it! They don't miss the gadgets one bit as, like others have said, it is the interaction and attention that they like.

The games my dad has them playing make me chuckle sometimes as they are so old fashioned but it's great. They were playing 'Hunt the thimble' last week! Now how many other kids can say they have played that?! My dad is wonderful with them, he really is.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Well it is interaction because of the 2 families in the surgery there was absolutely no conversation happening at all between children and mother's...It's the same as when kids were put in front of a video and it acted more or less as a babysitter....
    I do feel also as the aunt of an autistic 14year old who developed an american accent and when he started primary school the teachers could not get over this despite having taught a number of autistic kids of various different spectrums....Its also the same reason why a lot of high street shops are going to the ground, why shop when you can download....Its going to mean minimum shops, even less staff and no personal touch whatsoever...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    I prefer to see parents and children interacting. Children love the attention and it always brings a smile to my face when I see a parent taking notice of their child. I think its the lack of interaction Elaine was commenting on although I agree it might have been the Mums intention to keep them quiet and amused at the surgery for the other patients sake.

However some gadgets are educational. My daughter has an i pod touch and we play scrabble together but I've lost my Sons to the world of zombies. I keep asking my Son to read a book and although he agrees he should its always later.

I would use gadgets to keep them amused out and about although obviously I tell them there is a time and a place. They are not allowed to take them to the restaurant for example.

I have noticed my children love simple paper games and 20 questions.

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    You see I think that's great that your parents create that sort of place for your children, it surely must be great for them....And they in turn will be ineracting and be much closer to their grand-parents and have better people skills when they grow up....Its just my opinion...
    I think people just have priorities wrong for instance my niece has a new house but has to pay for wheelie bin, and also needs wardrobes...Guess what she has decided she can afford and is more important? Sky HD TV with internet access...Im sorry but I think that's wrong, when you start out you get the basics and with mobile phone monthly packages with free minutes a landline isnt necessarily the first thing on the "to have" list...

Elainexx
    I do agree that such things are too readily available these days and I fear that some children will grow up without ever playing traditional games.

My parents have zero technology - not even a mobile phone. Consequently, when my children go there, it is traditional games all afternoon. Scrabble, snap, snakes and ladders, eye spy, Ludo etc. Guess what....they love it! They don't miss the gadgets one bit as, like others have said, it is the interaction and attention that they like.

The games my dad has them playing make me chuckle sometimes as they are so old fashioned but it's great. They were playing 'Hunt the thimble' last week! Now how many other kids can say they have played that?! My dad is wonderful with them, he really is.
  • tkachev
    Options
    How old is your Niece? Could you have a friendly word in her ear. When I think of the money I wasted over the years prioritising the wrong things I wish someone had got hold of me and given me a good talking too.

I think all young people start down the spend route, rather than buying the necessities. I hope it doesn't take her too long to realise Sky is a luxury. One thing 's for certain though- she'd better not say she hasn't got any money and try to borrow off others. She'll need to learn the hard way and cancel it if she does.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

She is 21 but she was really responsible or so I thought...But my sister went round to the house couple weeks ago and they had been throwing rubbish out the back garden, not taking it to the tip cos they couldn't afford the wheelie bin....I think its not good you have to pay for your own wheelie bins but think they are more essential than Sky+HD......IAlso her boyfriend drives to surely he could have taken rubbish on his way to work but they let it pile up so my sister told her to get out of her dressing gown and get to the tip with her ASAP!To me its just crazy....
    Its like people who say they are poor too but you still see them with flat screen TV's, nice clobber and up to date mobile phones...Come on folks prioritise...If you cant afford it dont have it...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    How old is your Niece? Could you have a friendly word in her ear. When I think of the money I wasted over the years prioritising the wrong things I wish someone had got hold of me and given me a good talking too.

I think all young people start down the spend route, rather than buying the necessities. I hope it doesn't take her too long to realise Sky is a luxury. One thing 's for certain though- she'd better not say she hasn't got any money and try to borrow off others. She'll need to learn the hard way and cancel it if she does.

Elizabeth
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Just quickly, I think it's about balance. My daughter has an ipod touch & mobile phone. These are banned until her homework has been completed and then she can access them. She is 14.

I don't have conversations whilst in the doctors waiting, I am too busy concentrating on what i am going to say when I do hobble into the GP. My daughter when she does come with me does sit with her ipod, reading her ibook quietly.

Janie
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Well each to their own we dont all agree on certian subjects, this is one...Id say the phone yes but not like a blackberry etc....It would be a no for the ipod touch, I know how much they cost and i couldn't afford one!

Elainexx
    janie68 wrote:
    Just quickly, I think it's about balance. My daughter has an ipod touch & mobile phone. These are banned until her homework has been completed and then she can access them. She is 14.

I don't have conversations whilst in the doctors waiting, I am too busy concentrating on what i am going to say when I do hobble into the GP. My daughter when she does come with me does sit with her ipod, reading her ibook quietly.

Janie
  • sugarbuttie
    Options
    I couldnt believe my ears after Xmas. My daughter went back to school all excited to tell everyone that Santa had brought her a Hello Kitty beanbag for her bedroom, just what she asked for (£18 off amazon!).

She came home tellling me tha x y and z had got an ipad and that a b and c had got a laptop!!!!!!!!!!!! They are six for gawds sake!! £300 on just one present....i felt sick.

We do have a few 'glamour moms' in my daughter's class. The sort to give the class teacher and assistant a bottle of expensive wine each plus thorntons chocs at xmas. Makes me spew!!!!! They think they are 'all that' but it tickled me that all their kids were either donkeys or elephants in the school play. All the 'our mums dont say a right lot' kids were joseph and
    , mary etc etc. made me laugh my head off when my son was Joseph yet i play zero sucking up role!!

Image image image at our school. I take great pleasure in turning up like 'scruffy git' only for them to discover i am not 'scruffy git' when they might deign their pretty little quaffed hairdos to notice!!!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Sugarbuttie

You see I think that's just dam crazy spending £300 on kids for christmas, I mean come on do they need it (no), will they look after it (no) and can you afford it (NO)!!!Things have gotten so stupid...
    Im same now I am an adult as well, if I cant have it cos can't afford it, I accept it...Same goes for things such as getting my hair done, I get my roots done and styled, cut for £42.00 when others are more than happy to pay well over £110? Where's the sense and just cos it's a smaller hairdresser's does it matter? My mum always said about me as a kid I wouldn't take money off anyone at all, didn't want it and Im the same now...If im struggling financially I still am begrudged to ask for help and if I have to I feel rotten for doing so, pay it back as soon as I can...
    Good on you for showing the Yummy Mummies a thing or two, bet they get a bit of a shock with you! And dont't we all know its the ones who look like they aint got two pennies to rub together such as old farmers with threadbare clothes on but loaded!!

Elainexx
    I couldnt believe my ears after Xmas. My daughter went back to school all excited to tell everyone that Santa had brought her a Hello Kitty beanbag for her bedroom, just what she asked for (£18 off amazon!).

She came home tellling me tha x y and z had got an ipad and that a b and c had got a laptop!!!!!!!!!!!! They are six for gawds sake!! £300 on just one present....i felt sick.

We do have a few 'glamour moms' in my daughter's class. The sort to give the class teacher and assistant a bottle of expensive wine each plus thorntons chocs at xmas. Makes me spew!!!!! They think they are 'all that' but it tickled me that all their kids were either donkeys or elephants in the school play. All the 'our mums dont say a right lot' kids were joseph and
    , mary etc etc. made me laugh my head off when my son was Joseph yet i play zero sucking up role!!

Image image image at our school. I take great pleasure in turning up like 'scruffy git' only for them to discover i am not 'scruffy git' when they might deign their pretty little quaffed hairdos to notice!!!!
  • tkachev
    Options
    Oh dear you are all going to hate me. I like to treat all 5 of my children the same and with 2 older girls struggling with part time work (one for health reasons and one is also at University) I give them £250 each so then all the youngsters got the same. Added to pocket money/ birthday money saved throughout the year one got a new computer (which he built) and one a wiiu and games. My daughter bought her brothers old i pod touch off him.

I am fortunate to have received a lump sum recently after saving for 25 years so I was able to do this- I would never borrow or put myself in difficulties because my children want things.

Having said that, I agree that children get too much nowadays and everybody seem to be belt tightening and its going to be a shock for some who are used to getting want they want or big presents, my children included.

I also realise that am compensating with the older 2 after a difficult divorce and becoming so ill during their teens and exam years .It was tough and money seems to be the only way I can make amends and make their life a bit easier.

At least I cut down on the food this year!

Elizabeth xx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Wouldnt hate you but cant agree with you either...I understand treating them all the same but I guess I just dont understand why its got to be as much as £250 each.......Its just my opinion however and i understand youv'e been through a lot in recent years...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    Oh dear you are all going to hate me. I like to treat all 5 of my children the same and with 2 older girls struggling with part time work (one for health reasons and one is also at University) I give them £250 each so then all the youngsters got the same. Added to pocket money/ birthday money saved throughout the year one got a new computer (which he built) and one a wiiu and games. My daughter bought her brothers old i pod touch off him.

I am fortunate to have received a lump sum recently after saving for 25 years so I was able to do this- I would never borrow or put myself in difficulties because my children want things.

Having said that, I agree that children get too much nowadays and everybody seem to be belt tightening and its going to be a shock for some who are used to getting want they want or big presents, my children included.

I also realise that am compensating with the older 2 after a difficult divorce and becoming so ill during their teens and exam years .It was tough and money seems to be the only way I can make amends and make their life a bit easier.

At least I cut down on the food this year!

Elizabeth xx
  • sugarbuttie
    Options
    The thing that got me was that these children at school are only six! I know as mine get older they will be wanting more expensive things like their pals. I just thought six was a bit too young. Kids should be kids but they grow up so fast it is scary.

I am going to try my best to do lots of traditional things with mine whilst they are still interested. I have taught my daughter how to do French knitting today and we are making flapjacks later. Good old fashioned fun... And cheap!!
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Sugarbuttie

Well we all know that sometimes you can buy kids expensive things and often its the box or wrapping paper they play with instead....
    I just fear for kids now, too modernised and grown up way, way too soon...

Elainexx
    The thing that got me was that these children at school are only six! I know as mine get older they will be wanting more expensive things like their pals. I just thought six was a bit too young. Kids should be kids but they grow up so fast it is scary.

I am going to try my best to do lots of traditional things with mine whilst they are still interested. I have taught my daughter how to do French knitting today and we are making flapjacks later. Good old fashioned fun... And cheap!!
  • tkachev
    Options
    I agree it is a lot of money Elaine. I worry about my girls as they both live away from home, pay high rent and I feel the need to help them. One is in the middle of uni and her laptop broke so she needed a decent amount to replace it. She is lucky because a lot of her friends can't have that financial support.It was always my intention to save for their future but the divorce took most of our savings and even their saved pocket money got frozen by their Dad who refused to hand it back. I've always told the to come to me if they are in financial difficulties-I'd never see them short.

My middle boy is MLD on autistic spectrum. Without electrical gadgets he is destructive, looking for things to break and take apart, rip and chew. He does love to go out on buses and trains but that can't always be done.

Often children are seen as an extension of their parents so get designer everything. The 'attitude 'shows in their faces from a young age. When, and if ,the hard times hit ,it is much harder to adjust from having had lots of material possessions to cutting right back.

Spending time with the children is the best thing you can do. Not only are they learning valuable skills but getting security from the relationship.

You mention modernised and grown up way too soon Elaine. I agree and thats a whole new subject.

Elizabeth xxxxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein