Another problem?

Options
kentishlady
kentishlady Member Posts: 809
edited 22. Jan 2013, 17:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. This is more a question to those of you who have OA in backs. I now seem to be having a problem with my right knee (it is the right side of my back that is more affected by the OA), and am wondering is this could possibly be linked. Have had a slight problem with it for some time but it did seem to go away for a while. My knee is quite sore and painful and occasionally 'gives way', particularly when I am going upstairs. I suppose the fall I had towards the end of last year whilst I was using pain patches, (which didn't agree with me and subsequently had to come off) didn't help it either. Am thinking of making GP appointment but my Dr does not seem particularly interested or clued up on OA. Wondered if I might suggest physio to her. Does anyone else suffer with similar problems.

Hope you are all managing ok in this horrid cold weather and snow that we are being 'treated' to. Take care all of you and keep warm.

Beryl

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I have OA in both knees and both ankles as a result of joint damage caused by my other arthritis. OA can and does spread, and if your back trouble has led you to walk awkwardly for any length of time then it seems entirely reasonable that OA will set in to those joints that have been 'thrown out' of alignment. As for your GP being 'clued up' it could be that she is not aware of what the effects of OA can be - perhaps AC could send you some leaflets about it so you can go in armed with info? Although it is under a GP's remit to treat it they only know a little about a lot. Physio can help, but maybe an Xray is another course of action. My OA was diagnosed via Xrays. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Beryl
    I have back and hip probs,and my knee is quite painful, but after Xrays they say its referred pain from my hip.
    I should imagine if you are walking to one side then this could throw out either the knee or your hip .
    You go and get it checked out, only an xray will say whats going on.
    Wishing you well with it all x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    If possible, go for both physio and x-ray. I'm not sure what an x-ray will show if it's early days and it could even just be a muscular problem caused by walking badly because of your back. Whether OA or muscular, physio would help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My legs give way sometimes on the stairs, but I find physio makes things worse. It's a case of what's best for one person is not good for another!! I hope you get it sorted soon, when your legs give way it's very scary.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    I had a THR nearly two years ago. And since then oa has started in different areas. And, as DD said once you put pressure on the opposite side to your problem area. It does give in to oa. It has now been confirmed that I have oa in the other hip. I also find that my knees can just give way. I cheat going up stairs, I go up on all fours.

You should go to you're gp and get it checked out. When I was offered physio, the physio gave me acupuncture, which I have to say did not work for me.
    Karen xx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. Karen, you are not too far away from me. I come to TW occasionally to see a friend who lives there. Once this snow has gone I'll make an appointment to see my GP and get my knee checked out. Don't think this cold weather helps much! Hope you are having a 'not too bad day' today. Beryl
  • taylor04
    taylor04 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Sorry you're now getting pain in your knee. I would insist your GP refers you to a physio - they should be able to do something to help (I'm a physio myself so a bit biased!!), although it can still be a case of trial and error to see what works for you. For OA, I'm quite a fan of hydrotherapy (if that's offered where you are and you can get to it) - the water supports your joints without loading them so you can move them better and the resistance of the water is great for strengthening muscles around damaged joints to help protect them from further damage.
    I wish you well!