Ankle problems

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 22. Jan 2013, 06:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, hope you're all surviving the snow.

Sorry I've not been on here much lately, my OA's been behaving itself recently ... well lurking in the background really, and giving me gentle reminders every so often so I don't get complacent ... lol ... which is good as I've been concentrating on a different health/medical issue -- namely a far less common condition to do with my vocal cords ... non malignant viral warts, recurrent respiratory papillomatosis (which requires periodic day surgery, as there's no cure ... a bit like OA ... lol).

Anyway, today at work I picked up a box to carry it to another table, some ten feet or so, and my left ankle went very sore as I took a step on it -- I didn't twist, it was just a normal step like any other I've taken throughout my life. For the next 20 minutes or so I was able to put a little weight on it, but I was definitely not able to put my full weight on it never mind walking on it. The first aider had a look and could find nothing wrong with it, ie nothing was tender. As my shift was finished I just gingerly drove home, where it's been a little achy and I can walk on it normally again, but now in bed the joint is giving me a burning sensation.

And about six weeks ago, I had an incident where my right foot almost gave way as I took a step, without any pain, and was for just one step.

Now I know I have OA in both ankles, but I was wondering if either of these incidents are consistent with other people's experiences of OA? And should I be consulting my GP, which won't be til at least the end of next week, at the earliest?

Anyway stay safe and warm in this weather.
Scozzie

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The burning fits in with my experience of ankle OA but the giving way doesn't. Whether that's because I walk with aids or not I don't know, but I'm not putting all my weight on either ankle, some is shifted up through my arms and shoulders (not a lot though, the crutches etc. are for balance and stability). I do feel as though my ankle joints are full of ground glass - do yours? As for the other thing - what a nuisance and it sounds very sore. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mumof1
    Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi, I don't have much advice I'm afraid, but I think it is probably worth mentioning it to your GP, at least he/she is made aware of it then.

Good luck xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Scozzie,

I don't have OA, I have RA in my ankles. I also have ligaments that are weak and will eventually need repairing and what you described sounds a bit like what happens to me. I saw a foot and ankle ortho who explained that arthritis in your ankles can lead you to put pressure on the soft tissue. However, obviously I am not a doctor, so not diagnosing you, just sharing my experience of ankle problems.

I think it's definitley worth checking it out with your GP. Be safe in the snow!

Sophie x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello scozzie
    I have OA in quite a few joints, and recently one of my ankles is playing up...I now realize when I look back that I used to go over on it quite a lot .
    I have been told by a friend to get it xrayed..but all I can say is I already have 3 consultants back, hips and hands...sorry I am off on one here...what I am getting at my friends mum has insole in her shoes...they are from a podiatrist...physio sent her there ...she says they have made such a difference, she did have to get used to them, but they have stopped her going over.
    So the gist of this story is get it checked out before you do anymore damage.
    And please let me know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    In the time before my ankles fused themselves, this did happen sometimes. It's scary, partly due to the unpredictability. I'd get it checked out, scozzie. It might be that nothing can be done but, on the other hand, it might be that something can.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all, I will go in and the GP -- but it won't be until Thursday at the earliest as I will be on TOTAL voice rest until then.

Why?

Well, I'm at hospital on Monday for one of the periodic day surgeries on my vocal cords. This condition is not painful, the aftermath of the op is for a day or so, but the biggest problem is my voice ... which has been getting hoarser and weaker by the day, over the past three weeks or so ... my last op was ten weeks ago. Whilst this isn't painful it is VERY VERY annoying!!!

Anyway take care
    Scozzie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello scozzie
    I will be thinking about you on Monday and hope all is well with op....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    I have RA and my ankles give way with monotonous regularity.
    Good luck on Monday.
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I remember you mentioning this once before, scozzie. I can understand that it must be annoying and frustrating and, apparently, all too regular. Good luck, mate.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi and thanks for the good wishes. All went well and I'm currently on total voice rest ... lol ... not an easy job for me ... lol!

The procedure's not much worse than an intrajoint steroid jab.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You make light of it, scozzie, but it doesn't sound all that pleasant. Not that the total voice rest would be easy either :o but I'm hoping Mr SW doesn't see this or else he'll be volunteering me :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks Sticky, I'll be honest the sore throat after the procedure isn't great, but I've been far worse and the soreness has almost disappeared already.

By far the hardest part was turning up at 8am and then having to sit for hours waiting for my turn without eating or drinking, and all there was to do was watch rubbish daytime TV, I even had to watch Jeremy Kyle (how much worse can it get), or read a few rubbish magazines -- a few National Geographics wouldn't have gone astray ... lol. All my own gear, inlcuding the book I brought with me, had been taken up to the ward to await my arrival.

I was taken in sometime around 2pm and was in recovery an hour later.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ouch! :o Oh Scozzie, that sounds horrid to me. The not talking, the not eating or drinking then the monastic silence after. :shock: I am so pleased to read that the soreness is already waning, are you off work because of the lack of speech? If so I hope you are able to rest those ankles a little. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks DD, the not eating and drinking yesterday wasn't hard until a cookery segment came on tellie ... lol. The monastic silence isn't that hard either as I'm at home on my own and I don't normally answer the phone because of the way my voice has been ... and the silence is the reason I'm off work, along with avoiding all the paper dust that floats around our factory, but I expect to be back on Thursday.

With regard to my ankles, yes I am resting them, although they were quite sore yesterday at the hospital as we were dressed in gowns in a cool environment and I struggled to keep them warm.