enbrel info help needed!

Options
salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 22. Jan 2013, 06:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
I discovered this evening my drug fridge had been switched off for more than 24 hours:o and all my Enbrel was warm. So I rang on -call nurse from central home care who told me they were safe for 28 days at room temp and not to put them back in the fridge. I take Enbrel in the powered form I mix myself.

I read somewhere the vial was stable for 7 days. I was also told by my rheumy nurse NOT to keep them out as was suggested by one of the nurses. And I remembered once before I'd left some out overnight and was told to put them back in the fridge!

What do you all know about this? I've left them out (sadly I got a new delivery on Friday )but I'm not happy about leaving them out of the fridge. I had one injection this evening 26 hours after fridge stopped.

Comments

• joanne66
    joanne66 Member Posts: 25
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, you'v had conflicting info and your not sure.....so how about talking to a pharmacist? if the chemist is closed now how about the local hospital?
    jo
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks Joanne, literally going out the door at the moment but I could decide on Monday and if the nurse is wrong they can just send me some more :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I can't help, Salamander, but I, too, would be a tad concerned about all the conflicting advice. I hope you can get a definite answer quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Sally
    Sorry I cant offer any advice. apart from when I want to know anything about my meds the first stop is the chemist .
    I do hope you get things cleared up very soon, and good luck with the meds x
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks Sticky and Barbara, I'm going to phone my rheumy nurse tomorrow. I've got confidence in her. I feel bad as it's my fault. I don't usually plug anything else in the same socket but because I've got a cataract in my left eye, my depth of field vision is not good so couldn't see I'd switched the wrong thing off.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm trying to think back when I was taking enbrel: I had the same type as you, I think, the powder and the vial of sterile solution - I remember the mixing and gentle shaking and not to do it if the solution remained flaky - this could be why it has to be kept in the fridge but I don't know.

I don't usually advise turning to jeevesbingaskgoog, but could there be some relelvant information floating around in cyber-space? Please ring your rheumatology department tomorrow, they might be able to give you the answer to this. If you have any red nail varnish to hand then paint a blob of it onto your fridge plug so it stands out. I am sorry, Salamander, what a nuisance these meds cause us from time to time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks DD. I had a look and the longest time I could find on the net was 7 days out of the fridge. I think she's wrong about not putting it back but have followed her instructions.

The plug itself is RED! Hard to miss I know, but miss it I did! Oh well.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh lawdy lawdy, I didn't know the plug colour so that wasn't much help, was it? How about painting the red plug with liquid paper? (i.e. white dots) A 'reverse' ladybird plug could help. ((())) DD
  • salamander
    Options
    lol! Suspect with the cataract in my eye that would be more confusing than ever. I'm blaming that, of course, got to find something to tell them tomorrow. I can't say 'I just switched it off' :shock:

My sister suggested I tape over the switch. Might try that in future.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello salamander, has there been a resolution to your problem with the enbrel storage? I hope that someone, somewhere, has been able to put your mind at rest about it. I am thinking of you. DD