TKR-update.

Options
Mutley1964
Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
edited 20. Jan 2013, 15:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys!
Not been on for a week so thought a quick update was in order for those who were interested! Well, 7 weeks post op for TKR today. Saw my surgeon on Wednesday having got the appt moved forward due to lack of progress in the physio department. I'm feeling good, my mind and MOST of my body is raring to go...but not my new knee :-( When my surgeon measured my ROM I was even more disappointed as he reckons I only have a bend of 80 degrees :-( Still can't straighten it properly either but hey Ho! Manipulation is the way forward for me. Really hoping he can fit me in sooner rather than later as this lack of movement is driving me NUTS! It really affects my walking as the knee is permanently jutting out so causes pain from my groin , thru my hip and straight down my thigh. The tablets to help me sleep did bugger all so have accepted that I may get a bit of sleep or I may have a night of no sleep! I am finding that some nights when I've woken up yet again to turn over, move a pillow, straighten the leg or try and bend it, I have actually managed to drop off again afterwards...good times :-) I'm just not so het up about it now! Still haven't attempted to drive as my leg is just not strong enough to get from the acelorator to the brake pedal quick enough. Probably won't even bother until the knee has recovered from the manipulation procedure. At the end of the day, I've waited this long to get my knee done so a few more weeks isn't gonna kill me! Must have saved myself a fortune by NOT being able to drive to the shops when the sales were on!
Right, update over! Hoping everyone else is coping okay and not letting the snow get to you too much :-)
Jaki x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Having a plan of action is good and I do hope it helps. I think a change of meds to help with sleeping might help too. A good decision not to drive. It feels strange after a long lay-off anyway. If the knee's not up to it it's much safer not to. I hope the manipulation comes round quickly.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello jaki
    I was wondering how you was getting on
    I suppose 7 weeks isn't that long for a TKR,and reading all the post on here everyone's so different in there recovery.
    So please please try to not worry, I am sure they will get you there.
    And you do sound the sought of person that will get there very soon.
    You take care and keep us updated x
    Love
    Barbara
  • pegleg
    pegleg Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Hi there :D , 7 weeks is still VERY early days ! , I think a bend of 80 is pretty impressive ! , I'm almost 6 months down the line and only have 90 , my leg also isnt straight but a lot better than it was , its slowly going straighter but the exercises I was doing to straighten it were causing too much pain at the back of my knee so I stopped them and started walking more and more building it up slowly over the months and now can easily walk for 5 miles with no pain at all :D , my surgeon has never offered me a manipulation and I'm pretty suprised that at 7 weeks they are even thinking about one , your ROM is still hampered by swelling in the early weeks . As for driving I drove at around 3 months , when I started back at work , it was painful to start with but you soon get used to it , no rush so don't worry that will come xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Jaki

At least you now have answers, you need manipulation and it is like you say the only way forward for you...I think your attitude is to be commended, many would be so hacked off at this (I think I would certainly be) but you are a shining example with your attitude to this and the sleeping too...I have to say I didnt think your bend was too bad but obviously its the pain your'e getting and it not straightening..
    Hope the surgeon can fit you in soon and enjoy the snow we have none here in kendal!

Elainexx
    Mutley1964 wrote:
    Hi guys!
    Not been on for a week so thought a quick update was in order for those who were interested! Well, 7 weeks post op for TKR today. Saw my surgeon on Wednesday having got the appt moved forward due to lack of progress in the physio department. I'm feeling good, my mind and MOST of my body is raring to go...but not my new knee :-( When my surgeon measured my ROM I was even more disappointed as he reckons I only have a bend of 80 degrees :-( Still can't straighten it properly either but hey Ho! Manipulation is the way forward for me. Really hoping he can fit me in sooner rather than later as this lack of movement is driving me NUTS! It really affects my walking as the knee is permanently jutting out so causes pain from my groin , thru my hip and straight down my thigh. The tablets to help me sleep did bugger all so have accepted that I may get a bit of sleep or I may have a night of no sleep! I am finding that some nights when I've woken up yet again to turn over, move a pillow, straighten the leg or try and bend it, I have actually managed to drop off again afterwards...good times :-) I'm just not so het up about it now! Still haven't attempted to drive as my leg is just not strong enough to get from the acelorator to the brake pedal quick enough. Probably won't even bother until the knee has recovered from the manipulation procedure. At the end of the day, I've waited this long to get my knee done so a few more weeks isn't gonna kill me! Must have saved myself a fortune by NOT being able to drive to the shops when the sales were on!
    Right, update over! Hoping everyone else is coping okay and not letting the snow get to you too much :-)
    Jaki x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Left legs can operate brakes. :wink:

It must seem very frustrating for you because when you are right in the middle of the convalescence it is hard to judge one's progress, and then when you meet or read of others who appear to be doing so much better, well, the words 'salt' and 'wound' spring to my mind. Having a new joint fitted is a trauma to the body, stuff is cut, torn, shoved about, stitched up, there's a deal of deep healing to be done let alone the surface stuff. I hope that the manipulation makes the difference and that you will soon be out and about again - there will be more sales. (I too saved a fortune in being unable to go out thanks to hand surgery it's cold comfort though!) I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • babytiger
    babytiger Member Posts: 360
    Options
    I really feel for you and do hope the manipulation helps and loosens that knee. 7 weeks isn't that long really ,everyone recovers differently ..I would try and get better meds to help the pain.I was on about 4 different meds before they found one that actually helped.Your like me ,in the right frame of mind which is a big bonus ..... Take care
    Love Eileen
  • Mutley1964
    Mutley1964 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, it means a lot :-) you know, when I 1st went on the Internet looking for some advice/help/kick up the bum/friendly ear, I really tried to find a forum specifically for operation recovery like from hip & knee replacement, without any luck. I found this forum but I have to say it makes me feel guilty that I'm moaning over something that hopefully, will see me pain free for some years to come and then I read about others who have posted who are having to live with pain on a daily basis that I couldn't begin to understand what it must feel like :-(
    Hence my decision to be more positive and "Just bloody well get on with it" so to speak! Having said that, I still appreciate everyone's comments, suggestions & good wishes, so for that, thank you x

I know 7 weeks is still quite early for TKR BUT this is me and I'm VERY impatient! Touch wood I've always been pretty fit & healthy, I just have a couple of naff joints! Even prior to my op I was still out walking the mutts for 3 hours a day, admittedly sometimes thru gritted teeth & sometimes thru tears, but I still did it! As I said earlier, from feeling very depressed, I now feel pretty good! I can't say I'm in any pain, I just suffer some discomfort normally because I've done a bit too much and my leg is tired. This is also due to the leg not being straight enough so it affects my walking. The swelling has come done drastically and the scar looks superb especially as I had no staples or removeable stitches! Being a bad bleeder & bruiser this is all so positive. The best results gained from Manipulation are those carried out before 12 weeks. Bearing in mind I couldn't even raise my leg off the bed for the 1st few weeks, the strength I have now gained is pretty impressive. That is why my physio, surgeon & myself all think in my case manipulation done sooner rather than later is the best thing for me, both physically & mentally! My surgeon has Sussed me out very quickly & is working with me for the best possible outcome. He's already arranged that I'll be on the CPM machine straight out of recovery, then intense physio straight after...I can't wait :-) I know I still have quite a way to go & will probably experience a few up's & down's along the way but finally I can start to feel more positive about the future, well, new knee wise that is :-)
    As said before, wishing you all well with your own battles & hoping there are more "better" days than "bad" ones!
    Jaki x