I'm losing my grip

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 21. Jan 2013, 06:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Literally. It’s the cold weather. I actually like it (The cold weather, not losing my grip) and, given the choice, would rather be too cold than too hot any day. Extra clothing can always be added but there comes a time when decency precludes the removal of any more – unless it’s just me and him :wink:

Be that as it may, right now any action that involves knives, forks, spoons, biros or anything else that requires a half-decent grip is becoming annoyingly prolonged. Yesterday it got worse. I was on my exercise ‘horse’, the phone rang and I couldn’t even press the, admittedly small, ‘stop’ button despite having warmed up by waving my arms and legs about vigorously :o (I use the term loosely) for a quarter of an hour.

I know I can buy stuff to make the cutlery, biros etc thicker but normally I'm OK and the cold snap is only temporary so I won’t. (I’ll just moan about it to you lot instead :mrgreen: )
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I empathise, I too have a weak grip albeit for a different reason. My solution is as follows: thermal gloves topped by washing up gloves. Warm hands, thicker fingers and a better grip. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    SW moan never.... :o
    Like you I prefer the cold more than the heat...must add not this blinking cold..
    My OH fitted mine with pipe lagging...yes you heard right...mind you our house is full of it his job is heating....I have thought of going into business and making other things out of it... :lol:
    Hope your grip recovers soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I know what you mean. My joints have been bad in this weather, fingers and toes especially. Could you wear some fingerless gloves at home? Sounds daft I know but could keep your fingers warm and help a bit. I'm digging my wrist warmers (hand knitted, alpaca!) as soon as I stop this sentence as my wrists are both more painful than usual.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I swear by my istoner therapy gloves. :D x
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Oh stickywicket, that is so frustrating, I know!
    I'm sure you do your grip exercises.
    When I first went to physio for my hands, my grip didn't register at all on their grip measuring device. After years of exercises, I sometimes score a 2 now! (they told me anything less than a 5, they have to advise you not to drive, which I don't anymore).
    I find the squeezy ball, to be the most helpful and effective, could you find something similar to sqeeze? :wink:
    I hope your problems are short lived, and not "the next stage" for you.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Gloves! I remember gloves. Alas, no. Even the fingerless variety can not be persuaded over my fingers. When I was doing RDA dressage they tried to dress me properly. In the end I said if they could get the gloves on I'd wear them. It took two people 15 minutes per hand and still half the fingers flopped around uselessly. Thjey are not the requisite sizes or lengths and, most definitely not the right shapes. Even outside, in this weather, I just pull my hands inside my coat sleeves.

Wrist warmers or sweat :roll: bands might be worth a try though. Thanks, everyone.
    Steven Wright
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh stickywicket, that is so frustrating, I know!
    I'm sure you do your grip exercises.
    When I first went to physio for my hands, my grip didn't register at all on their grip measuring device. After years of exercises, I sometimes score a 2 now! (they told me anything less than a 5, they have to advise you not to drive, which I don't anymore).
    I find the squeezy ball, to be the most helpful and effective, could you find something similar to sqeeze? :wink:
    I hope your problems are short lived, and not "the next stage" for you.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty

Bless you, Numpty, I almost forgot about your excellent suggestion. The main problem with my grip is that the only one(s) I have is/are between my thumb and palm. The fingers don't actually bend inwards far enough to grip anything. I will, however, unearth something similar to a squeezy ball and give it a go as 'the next stage' for me is probably the straitjacket :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Sticky, Sorry about the glove suggestion but didn't realise you couldn't wear them. My wrist warmers are extremely stretchy, made that way on purpose as I sometimes can't get my gloves on and off. Hope you find a solution.
    xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm another who can understand what your going through! Even through I've noticed a positive change since having the steroid injection this cold snap has caused some niggles in my joints, especially my knees and hands and I can't hold my mouse on the computer for long or cup handles. So I'm so fed up with this snow and cold and just want it to go now!