No methotrexate for 2 weeks due to illness

Options
diddle
diddle Member Posts: 14
edited 21. Jan 2013, 13:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am new to this site, but any help will be greatly appreciated. I have with RA for nearly 18 months I'm 47, I am on methotrexate but the last couple of weeks have been hell. I have had a severe cold, ear infection and was told to keep off my methotrexate, while I was put on antibiotics. Thought that clearing and tried to go back to work but was rushed to hospital as could not breathe, (felt like I could not breathe) sent me home saying it was a panic attack never had one in my life. The following day I had a terrible throat, neck swelled. But then my chin and mouth had come out in blisters. Yesterday my hands feels like they are covered in blisters. Has this happened to anyone else and can anyone advice many thanks,

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi , welcome to the forum

I have been on Methotrexate for 14 years & never had to stop it because having cold & antibiotics which I got both now + 30mg steriods , no idea what the other problems you are having , hope you feel better soon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello diddle, it's lovely to meet you but I am so sorry that you have had to find us.

I have been on injected meth (and injected humira) for some time now and always stop them on any sign of infection because that is what my hospital have always told ne to do. I must admit to feeling better in myself when taking anti-bios and not the immuno-suppressants (how odd to be properly 'ill' but yet feel better :wink:) but I am also 'lucky' in that I have been playing this ghastly game for a number of years viz I know that when I feel things are clearing they're probably not and I still need to be careful.

I am not sure about the blisters etc - do you have an allergy to any form of penicillin etc? It could be that your personal 'pathology' (that may well not be the right word) has changed since you've been taking the meth but please remember that I am NOT a doctor. I know that meth can cause ulcers etc in the oral area (I've never had that problem with either the tablet or injected form of meth) but please ring your GP first thing tomorow, and your rheumatology helpline, because the former may be able to help with anti-bio reactions and the latter with meth (or the lack of) and anti-bio reactions. Although you've not taken the meth it does not desert one's system overnight, this could be some form of reaction but I really do not know. It must be worrying though, as well as very uncomforatble, and I am sorry that I cannot be of much help. I wish you well and please let us know how you get on with this, OK? Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi many thanks for your welcome and your input, really confused on why they would stop, going back to docs tomorrow so hopefully will put things right thanks again
    Debs x
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi dream daisy many thanks for your post at the end if my tether at the moment, I am going back to docs tomorrow and hopefully can help, again many thanks will keep u updated xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The reasoning my hospital gave me was that the immuno-suppressants suppress to such an extent that we can't fight off an infection in the usual way. Stopping the meth allows our immune system to fire up and help get rid of the bug - but as a result the arthritis may also fire too. :( Ergo we can't win but hey, life ain't about winning, well, not all the time. :wink:

In the past I've taken two weeks of anti-bios to fight off colds which turned into chest infections, one week might have been enough but I needed the second to make sure. All will be well, OK? Of course you are at the end of your tether, we all know how that feels. Do what you can to make yourself conmfortable and I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight. DD
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi dream daisy it is so good to speak to someone who knows what it is like . It is so hard to tell people how u feel and what pain your in, I really appreciate your thoughts, will phone my clinic and docs tomorrow. Perhaps I should have spoken to my clinic first before I took anything or did anything,
    Will keep you updated take care x :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello diddle and a warm welcome from me too. I've taken meth for years but never had a reaction like that either to the meth or the antibios. I certainly get some nasty problems with colds these days though. Whether they are meth-related or RA-related or other problems-related :roll: I just don't know. I think you've hit on the best solution. Get in touch with your rheumatology clinic and, if necessary, the GP too. I hope it goes well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello diddle, have you been able to get in touch with anyone about this? DD
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi Dream have spoken to my clinic who have told me keep of the meth until I am feeling better but must go and see my doctor, which I am at 12.45 said if no joy to give them a call back will keep u updated
    Thanks for your thoughts
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi sticky thanks for you post will let u know what docs say x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm glad to read that you have been able to talk to rheumatology and let's hope the GP can give you some help: more anti-bios might be required but that will be a good thing to help clear the bug. Good luck, hopefully you're in with him right now! :wink: DD
  • diddle
    Options
    Hi all many thank for all your comments just to keep u updated because i have been poorly with the flu and my body so low I have now picked up the herpes 1 virus, I was gobsmacked because you automatically think of a std, apparently it is a form of shingles, which would explain all the blisters in my mouth, throat and chin. So no methotrexate again and more drugs again thanks everyone for your posts hope we can keep chatting
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Poor you, diddle! That would explain a lot. I know there are various herpes viruses (not all STDs :)) but didn't know one was/was related to shingles. What I did know, however, is that those of us on meth should keep well away from anyone with chicken pox (same virus as shingles) precisely because we can get nasty reactions. I hope that things will improve quickly for you now that they're on top of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh no, you poor thing, I am so sorry. You need to get this sorted asap, no? I am so pleased you have more meds and yes, stay off the meth. Please let your rheumatology department know what's going on (if you already have I apologise for being bossy) but they should be kept in the loop with this.

Things will get better in time, and yes, come and talk to us because we do understand how difficult and frustrating things can be - you may not get an instant reply but someone will answer in due course because that's what we do. Take care. DD
  • diddle
    Options
    Thanks DD for your support and I don't mind you being bossy, I had not let my clinic know but I will tomorrow again thankyou x
    I am going to open another thread to see if anyone had problems with work and air conditioning xx